31 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2011 10:55 AM by anadyr RSS

Pittsburgh Airport Marriott

lorirobert Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We stayed one night at the Pittsburgh Marriott Airport.  Not totally impressed.  While the property was very nice and recently updated, the staff wasn't all that great.  We found this unusual, as we rarely run into an unfriendly staff.  We were put on the Concierge level, but of course the lounge was closed, so when we inquired about breasfast coupons for the on-site restaurant, the girl looked at us like we were crazy and said she didn't know what we were talking about.  Another associate at the front desk was on the phone and could hear what was happenning and leaned over and told us to come down in the morning for vouchers.  The server at the restaurant the next morning wasn't too happy when she saw we were using the vouchers and basically ignored us and we were the ONLY ones in the restaurant.  This was on the Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend, and the hotel was practically empty.

Its basically good for a night's sleep if you are travelling through.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
  • Re: Pittsburgh Airport Marriott
    krissler Platinum 1 Reviews

Your problem was minor compared to mine. I'm almost Platinum for life with only 150 nights to go. This is the only Marriott I have ever stayed where management promotes a negative attitude. When I complained about a serious problem, the general manger said: "As General Manager of the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott, I have a responsibility to our staff as well as other hotel guests. I have reviewed your concerns and I am sorry you were disappointed with the
    outcome during your stay with us.”
    Sincerely, Paul N General Manager Pittsburgh Airport Marriott.

Here is what I wrote:

Dear Mr. N: I was not gonna to bother to write, but I have been having trouble getting to sleep the last couple of nights. Why? The shenanigans in your concierge keep playing on my mind. Your team needs help! You definitely have serious problems in the concierge. It always has been my understanding that the concierge is an award for loyal customers. Loyal customers are your best customers….so why treat us like the dredges of society. I have to get this off my chest. I have never been treated so badly at a Marriott property. Not ever. In fact, on October 4, 2011, just 2 days before, I was recognized as the Guest of the Day at the Fairfield Inn in Uniontown, PA, and then on October 6, I was treated like a criminal in the Pittsburgh Marriott concierge. I'm not a criminal! As of 10/24/11, I'm only 150 nights from being Platinum for life. I'm almost 68 years old, have a broken toe, and I'm retired, visiting your hotel as a volunteer evaluator for postsecondary education. I have over 100 nights already this year and have literally spent hundreds of thousands of dollars at Marriott. I'm not a criminal! I love Marriott because until now Marriott employees treat me royally. In fact, the Stellaris in San Juan provided me 3 free nights. Your hotel is the bottom of the barrel; not customer oriented. Here is why: At around 5:20 pm I started to pour a glass of wine at your honor bar in the concierge, and low and behold the female attendant tells me I cannot. I never heard of such a thing? In fact, the 5 nights I just spent at the Heidelberg Marriott, from 9/11---9/15, the wine & beer were complimentary at the honor bar. I know, in the United States, only the Stamford Marriott has (had) complimentary wine & beer. But, I'm contributing $7 for a glass of the same wine I buy for $3.99 per bottle. I have stayed at countless Marriott’s around the country, and your concierge room has the only honor bar that uses honor slips, and also requires that the concierge attendant pour the drinks. That is a total contradiction? I have never ever been treated like this. The equipment was out, so I waited for the hot food. Why is the equipment out? Anyway, it never came. When I asked about the hot food the young female attendant’s reply was there is no hot food regardless of the fact that she took the time to heat the hot food containers and put baskets of rolls on that table. (Ms. Personality.) Anyway, she first pours the wine into a glass container, then from the container into my glass. She is actually measuring. God forbid, I get an ounce too much. The point is that when I complained, she called security. She tells me the honor bar is not an honor bar, but a tended bar. If it is not an honor bar, then what was the purpose of the honor slips and pencils that were strategically placed in three neat stacks with pens on the top? So she calls security. OK, but for the next hour, the security guy with a big badge just watches me and my colleagues in the concierge. He says absolutely nothing. This was 100% intimidation. Like we are all criminals??? Then I leave and the attendant along with the big security guard with the big badge, starts questioning the chits. I told her I completed 2 chits @ $7 and she says I can go. Then, the security guard shows up in the restaurant, like he is following me. Very intimidating. In the mean time, the two of these people continued to harass my colleague and fellow Platinum member, Ms. Jane Doe. To sum up, I spent $354.42. With the exception of the concierge and security man, all aspects of my stay were satisfactory. Therefore, from my point of view, you know the weak link in your chain of delivering Quality accommodations and services to your valued hotel guests. I would hope that this situation is resolved, not just for me, but for all your Gold/Platinum guests. Respectfully submitted, Premier Platinum member.

Message was edited by: Ed Krissler

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Krisler,

This is pathetic.  So sorry to hear reports like this, but it is good to know so others will never have to have an experience like this.

Stayed at the Ren. downtown Pittsburgh, and all went well.

There is no excuse for this kind of treatment (Or lack of).

Thanks.....first sympathy I have receieved...Not even Marriott Platinum has resolved this issue.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I wonder what the message the GM was trying to convey with "As General Manager of the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott, I have a responsibility to our staff as well as other hotel guests."  Is this some type of macho way of saying "I'm sticking up for and behind my employee?"  Unless there was some type of threat made by you or your colleagues, I can't imagine why he would need to take this approach.  The GM should have considered a simple apology to a long time loyal Marriott consumer. The opportunity to listen to customer concerns and leave them feeling that you care can help to erase the bad taste of the $7 wine.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

krissler,

I will add the NathalieF to the thread, because someone should investigate this kind of behavior closer, and maybe he can get the attention of the proper people. lorirobert, I also feel bad for your poor experience.  I feel that when Marriott has a hotel that is getting more than one complaint from it premier members, it should be looked at closely. 

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I can not wait for Insider's to implement the new hotel rating system..Just think how much business the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott is going to lose over a glass of wine. And the GM letter is pathetic.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Thanks for passing this along.  I often stay at Marriotts before flying out of a city.  Pittsburgh Marriott will be scratched off my list of potentials.

• Pittsburgh Airport Marriott
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

From bad to badder!  This goes into the Hall of Shame list

Yes, at the top of the list!!!!

I must say of all cities I have ever been to, Pittsburgh, is the place I do not prefer.

Sorry to share this as my family is a "Steeler Loving One".

Location Brand Hotel
    Downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

I agree, Pittsburgh is not a place I would prefer to visit, and with the review of the Pittsburgh Airport, I definately would not stay there!!!

tomagorn Silver

Somehow this thread has gone from a justifiably negative response to poor treatment at the Pittsburgh Marriott to a bashing of Pittsburgh in general.  This saddens me because I spend a lot of time travelling to the Steel City (though I never stay in hotels).  In my 65 years experience, I have never seen a US town make a more radical change for the better.  40 years ago, Pittsburgh was an ugly polluted steel town.  Then the steel industry crashed and Pittsburgh took stock of its situation.  Today Pittsburgh is a beautiful city with several universities, large parks, a clean riverfront, and reasonable cost of living.  To be sure, there are still some ugly areas, but even these are gradually being transformed.  I hope you guys will take Pittsburgh off your "do not visit" list...just don't stay at the Marriott.  Cheers.

Location Brand Hotel
      Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

Fair comment..we should not be bashing Pittsburgh and to be more accurate, Pittsburgh has made a lot of great improvements and is a city in the USA worth visiting!!!

You'ins would like ere I you'se took the time, as we Pittsburgers say.  We are a proud group of folks and yes starting in 1958 we turned ourselves around.  My proudest moment was listening to Bill Mazeroski's Homerun to smash the heavily favored Yankees at old Forbes Field, or seeing Roberto Clemente play the outfield there. I have not lived there snce 1962 but I still call it home

lorirobert Platinum

Thanks for coming to ur rescue fellow insiders! Please don't join the bandwagon in bashing Pittsburgh because of an incident that happened in a hotel lounge. There are 2 sides to every story and I have to wonder how it ever escalated to having security called - surely not from the simple act of someone pouring their own glass of wine?  Anyway, Pittsburgh is a beautiful place anytime of year, full of friendly people and beautful places to see and awesome things to do.  Our downtown Marriott hotels are fantastic. Pittsburghers are proud and we do eat some pretty good game food, too! Yinz can come dahwntawn to the Burgh n'at, go to the Strip and have a Primanti's sandwich......don't take us off your list- you'll be pleasantly surprised if you come!

I guess I need to add Pittsburgh to my bucket list!!!

Go Stillirs!  See you'in downtawn or Penavenue or over in sliberty!

Translation:

Go Steeler's! See you downtown or Penn Avenue over in East Liberty!!!!

East Liberty, Jasper. Youins are wrong this time, just sayin'

Are you sure I was wrong..You might want to check again!!! I don't recall the last time I was wrong?

Denial is really not that river in Egypt Jasper

Remember Bob Prince?

Yes,  He was an "Icon", like Jack Buck, here in St. Louis.  Likewise, I watched Bill M. hit that home-run, (During the day).  What a thrill!  It reminds me of a show I enjoyed as a kid, "Home Run Derby".

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings, we've followed up and can confirm that both Customer Care and Mr. Marriott's office were involved in working through this member's dispute to close the issue.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

good for you!  now, can you work on chastising ss for his belittling of Pittsbughians?????

I never did that - it was Jasper

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you for the followup!!

11/29/11 AFTER RECONTACTING MARRIOTT.......................THIS WAS THE RESOLUTION?????????????

Dear Edgar Krissler,

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

Mr. Marriott's Office of Consumer Affairs can be reached, Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM until 5:00 PM, Central Time, at the following telephone numbers. Please refer to JRIH-8N2P9Q.

Marriott, Renaissance: 800-621-0999

Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites: 800-422-0728

Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites: 800-422-5560

This office is the highest escalation point within the Marriott organization. Thank you for choosing Marriott.

NOT EVEN AN EXPLANATION FOR REMEDY AT THE PITTSBURGH MARRIOTT NOR ANYTHING TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER??????

Seems like a lame response to you...I cannot believe the Marriott would consider this issue closed.

Not good customer service, in fact very bad customer service

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...