15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2010 7:57 AM by nextlevel RSS

upgrades...EVER?!?

anneed Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have stayed at least 150 nights in the past 10 months, and yet STILL have not gotten an upgrade due to my platinum status. The only time I got an upgrade was at the Pittsburgh Marriott because my "regular" room wasn't ready when I checked in. Im staying at the Columbus Renaissance us right now and they were not even thinking about offering an upgrade! :(

I am really fed up at this point- I am probably going to take my business elsewhere. I have already requested a complimentary upgrade to Diamond VIP with Hilton.

What am I doing wroing here? Do I need to start being more assertive? Should I complain? I mean, not one in 150 nights?

I think this whole "upgrade" thing is nonsense. You would think wih the amount of business I do at Marriotts (4-5 nights a week at $200+ a night) they would be more eager to keep the business travelers like me. If I'm not getting upgraded, who is? And how to they base platinum upgrades? Do they wait until they are overbooked in standard rooms, and them bump rewards members up? I mean...seriously....

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Re: upgrades...EVER?!?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Anneed

"What am I doing wrong here? Do I need to start being more assertive? Should I complain?"

EXCELLENT questions.  I think it may be what you're not doing. Do you book reservations online or over the phone?   Are you calling Platinum Elite Reservations?  Have you updated your Room Preferences?

I have an idea.  Let's start an Insiders Reservations Clinic with the target objective of scoring you a complimentary upgrade every time.  Assignment 1 is to describe how you typically reserve a room....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    I posed this very question a long time ago. My success rate in snagging an upgraded room has been fairly dismal, especially in Europe. If it's not offered at check-in and I ask for one, I am usually given the typical response that nothing is available.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

You're welcome to participate in the clinic, too.   

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Good question -- one that frustrates most of us from time to time.  I generally make my reservations on the website.  I have listed as one of my preferences, "high room" since I know that the c-lounge is on the top floor at most properties.  On business, I stay at the government per diem rate, and I almost always at least get upgraded to a concierge level room.  If nothing else it saves me the elevator ride to the lounge. and sometimes gets me a few other amenities as well.  For personal travel, I usually stay at the AAA or other less expensive leisure rate and I have the same upgrade experience.  I think the Marriott T&C says we will be upgraded to the best available room (suites excluded). In my case, that's probably happening.  And to be perfectly honest, this  year, I've been upgraded to suites several times due in large part, I believe, to the low occpancy resulting from less business travel.  When I do occasionally make a reservation by phone, the agent always tells me that they are requesting an upgrade for me.  FYI -- my experience is generally the same re upgrades whether I'm at a Marriott, CY, Ren, FFI, etc. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I got the other places to match Marriott's Status of Platinum with just an email--the Platinum Premier level does not exist elsewhere but it never hurts to mention it when writing them.

I find that unless you are known and occupancy is extemely low the upgrades are few and far between. One exception is a fnachised property where I have been fortunate to get a loft suite every time I book, and appreciate it.

Recommend when making online reservations you add a comment such as "Upgrades are always appreciated and thanks for considering me,"  or words to that effect

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Strpping,

Thanks for sharing this information!

Spoke with the Hilton people and I must say they are very aggressive to accommodate travelers.  The breakfast they are serving are pretty good!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Anned,

Have been getting upgrades because reservations are made on the hot-line and Omaha has really been doing great work for me.

All I do is ask when I make the reservation and they request the upgrade.  Even at Fairfields they generally do their best.

Good luck! 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry

The answer to all of this is to be persistent but nice and to know the occupancy load (are there discounted rooms at 24 hours out for example).  Also try to speak with the Front Desk Supervisor if you can, not the first person to check you in.

It's worked for me at times 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

SS said..."Recommend when making online reservations you add a comment such as "Upgrades are always appreciated and thanks for considering me,"  or words to that effect"

I like that approach.  Thanks.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

TJCNewYork wrote:

You're welcome to participate in the clinic, too. 

What clinic?

nwdevotee Platinum 4 Reviews
    I am Platinum Marriott, Platinum Starwood, Diamond Hyatt, and Gold Hyatt - and have been at those levels for many years. Therefore, my estmate of upgrades under those four systems may be of general interest. First, upgrade to Concierge Level, Tower, Club Room or Regency Club is equivalent over the those four hotel properies; the probability is 1, meaning that it has always happened. The difference enters at the second consideration - upgraded to the best available room beyond the club availability. There, Marriotts come in fourth best, and at a pathetically low level. My estmate of the probability of such upgarading at Marriotts is below 40 percent, where it is as high as 80 percent in Starwood (and that includes suite upgrades which are allowed, even encouraged in the Starwood system). The probabilities at Hyatt and Hilton, I estimate at .7.

latonewengland Platinum 4 Reviews
    I book all my rooms online and always put "I am requesting my platnum upgrade" in the comments area. I mostly stay at Fairfield Inns and see about a 40% upgrade to a jacucci suite. When I check in I ask the front desk person if they got my request. Thats when she scrambles and trys to switch me to the upgrade. If they do not have an upgrade they will offer the bonus points and a welcome gift. I offen wonder if other hotel programs have a higher upgrade ratio.

tjcnewyork Platinum

LAtoNewEngland

"If they do not have an upgrade they will offer the bonus points and a welcome gift."

How many bonus points?

latonewengland Platinum
    JTCNewYork, I get 200 points and welcome gift. Also I stayed two nights in Long Island and got upgrade to suite last night. Tonight I am in Sysosset and did not get upgrade. 50%

nextlevel Member

IVE BEEN SAYING THECSAME THING FINALLY GOT AN OFFER FOR ONE WHEN I DID NOT NEED ALL THE SPACE SO ILL WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT TIME WE DO SPEND ALOT OF MONEY WITH THEM AND IF THINGS DONT CHANGE ILL TAKE IT ELSEWHERE THEN EVERY TIME YOU RESERVE A PENTHOUSE THEY THINK THERES GONNA BE A BIG PARTY YEAH RIGHT I CAN PARTY AT HOME IM NOT A CHILD LETS GET REALUndecided

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...