7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2009 8:29 PM by madthompso RSS

GPS IN ROME, VENICE, PARIS

mastersman Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I will be traveling to Rome, Venice and Paris this October celebrating our 25th Anniversary. I was considering taking my Garmin Nuvi GPS. Along with GPS directions it offers currency conversion etc.

Is this a good idea to get around in those cities or is it just something else to carry with us. We will NOT be driving anywhere, just being normal tourist. 

• Re: GPS IN ROME, VENICE, PARIS
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
    Try it at home.... enter an address and try walking there using the GPS directions.  Does it work?  If so, I'd take it with me!  Certainly easier than trying to follow a map.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

If you want spoken directions, make sure either that you know the language or that your Garmin is equipped with it.  I know when I  bought mine it had options for language translation.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

One of the other Garmin 600 and 700 series features is the "walking" option: you are then given more discrete turn by turn information.  You can hit the little "plus" sign on the right upper corner to enlarge the screen and also check the block under the settings tab for most detail if you choose a walking route.

And if you've purchased the updated POIs (points of interest) from them as well as the latest maps, you should be OK.  If all else fails a good phrase book with photos is a must!

Have a good trip.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

I would leave it at home.  

Just get a map at the front desk and use it.  

How can you get lost?  You are on foot and who knows what interesting thing you may encounter that you could not have planned for.

Enjoy your trip.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

New Hilton:

It has worked for me, but you have to have a fully charged battery or else....

The Garmins that have text to speech are the best for this walking adventure. (600 series and up).

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree with Jerry that it is usually much easier to use a map for walking, certainly in Paris (where it really is hard to get lost).  But Venice is another story. I have gotten lost in Venice more times than I can say, always with a map.  So it probably wouldn't hurt to bring the GPS along just in case. My favorite instance was a few years back in April before I learned Italian. I couldn't find any English-speakers (strangely) but came upon an equally lost French couple.  Since I speak French, we not ony shared our frustration but a drink as well and became friends.

With the exception of Venice, I think the trouble with using one is you'll be so distracted by the instructions that you could miss some really great stuff.  I find having a map discreetly placed in my pocket or purse and looking at it every so often in a doorway is all that is usually necessary.

Finally, I would like to say a word IN FAVOR OF GETTING LOST.  While I think it's always advisable to have a map, sometimes if you get lost just go with it.  There are wonderful sites that are not necessarily listed in guidebooks that you may just happen upon BECAUSE you're lost. This happened to me twice in Rome early last year after getting lost in the Piazza Venezia and led to some of the most wonderful sites and experiences.

ProfChiara

madthompso Silver 3 Reviews

Leave the Garmin home....each of these lovely European cities is a joy to wander in so you don't want be following a GPS.  Pick up a map at the hotel of try Rick Steves guidebooks for great walking tours, they're worth their weight.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...