14 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2009 1:01 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Never rent a car if you can help it!

brenda21 Member
Currently Being Moderated
Obviously this won't work *everywhere*, but I try to never rent a car if I can help it. I explore so much more and see places I wouldn't otherwise if I am walking, biking, taking a trolley or bus or even in a cab! The best part of the trip is the unexpected, so I leave myself at the mercy of fate!
  • Re: Never rent a car if you can help it!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Brenda,

I agree with you, but see my email and pictures on Monte Carlo.

Having driven a lot in Europe, I try to avoid the major cities, but really enjoy the rural areas and the picnics.

Good luck! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I always rent a car when I'm in Europe... but, if I'm heading into a city, I drop my luggage at the hotel and then immediately return the car to the rental agency.  No need for it if I'm going to be in a city for a few days and no unnecessary rental/parking fees.  When I'm leaving that city, I pick up another car and do the same.  I'd have missed so many wonderful places if I were to take the train or bus between places as you don't have the same freedom. 

I never rent from the major agencies but seem to get good prices at www.kemwel.com (all my rentals through them have been with Europcar).  Also, don't rent at the airport as it is much more expensive than picking up at a train station or city location.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

New Hilton,

Great idea! Have been dropping cars off in Paris, but never thought about doing it in other cities.

By the way, I drop Hertz off in Paris at EuroDisney, stay at the Marriott and then take a great train ride into Paris, and never have to mess with the car in Paris.

It works, see pictures!  By the way, your pictures are great, where are they from? 

spitfyr323 Member 60 Reviews
    It's true - when I went to Paris I found a bunch of wonderful restaurants "off the beaten path" because we happened upon them while walking.  Imagine what I'd have missed had we rented a car! 

Thanks, Jerry!  I always enjoy your pictures also!!!

Those pics are from Austria.  The first is Stift Rein, the oldest continuously existing Cistercian monestary in the world; founded in 1129. The basilica is just stunningly gorgeous!  The second is at Piber Stud Farm where they raise and retire the famous Lippizaner horses who perform at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna (which is also a great show when in Vienna!).  The third pic is Hallstatt, an utterly charming village tucked between the Hallstattersee and the mountains where they've been mining salt for over 7,000 years!  The last pic is of St. Wolfgang and the Wolfgangsee with Schafberg mountain in the backround.

Here are some more pics of the same places in the same order...

New Hilton,

Wow, again neat pictures!  I have never yet been to Shift Rein, Piber Stud Farm, Hallstadt, or St. Wolfgang, but now I am ready to go!

Did you stay in Vienna at the Marriott?  I have heard it is one beautiful property.

Thanks again for the great information and pictures.  Look forward to more. 

Thanks again, Jerry!  No, I didn't go to Vienna on this particular trip as I had been there before and, yes, I did stay at the Marriott on that trip.  Great hotel and wonderful folks there!  A suggestion for a marvelous day trip from Vienna is Melk Abbey... take the train out there, see the abbey (beyond beautiful... the library and chapel alone are "OH, WOW!!!!" rooms) and the charming town, then take the boat down the Danube to Krems and a train back to Vienna.

My latest trip consisted of stays in Graz, Hallstatt, St. Wolfgang, Salzburg and Innsbruck.  Picked up the rental car on my next to last day in Graz so I could go to Stift Rein.  On my way to Hallstatt, I sidetripped to Piber Stud Farm.  Stopped for a few hours in Bad Ischl on my way to St. Wolfgang.  St. Gilgen is just a boat ride away from St. Wolfgang and Mondsee is where the beautiful cathedral is located that was used in the wedding scene for the Sound of Music.  I returned the car upon arriving in Salzburg and picked up a new one when I left 5 days later on my way to Innsbruck.  Stopped at another gorgeous little town on my way, Hall in Tyrol, and returned that car in Innsbruck after checking into at my hotel.

You asked for it.... here are some more pics!   The 1st is Graz Castle.  The 2nd is at Stift Rein... apples waiting to become the monks' schnapps.  The 3rd is the hamlet of Piber from the Stud Farm and the last is a roadside stop on my way to Hallstatt.

New Hilton,

Again great pictures and wonderful experiences, thanks for sharing them with all of us.

Having spent time in Salzburg and Innsbruck let me share with you another great spot not far from Innsbruck, Garmisch, Germany.  The former Marriott Ren. was one of my favorite places in the world.  On the back of the highest point in Germany, The Zugspitzer, you will see in some of the pictures some real beauty.  Likewise, close by is the home of the "Passion Play" and a delightful experience.

NewHilton, keep those events and pictures coming! 

Jerry, again great pics!  Thanks!  Where was the last one taken?  Is that Zugspitzer?  Gorgeous!

I did make it to Oberammagau where they perform the Passion Play on a previous trip.  Isn't that the cutest little town?  Unfortunately, I wasn't there during a perfomance year/day.  Here are some pics from there....

New Hilton,

Yes, the picture is on the top of the Zugspitzer!  

Went skiing there and it was Scary but beautiful for an average guy like me!  One tip, bought a lift ticket from a person in the parking lot that turned out to be a fake!

Have you been to Northern Italy around Lake Como?  i have some great places for you.  Just tell me where you may need some ideas and I will do the same.

Great pictures!  See the ones I am sending you from a recent trip to Neuscwaunstein in Bavaria! 

Jerry, love the Neuschwanstein pics.  Great shot of Marienbrucke! And, oh that German beer... Yum, yum, yum!

I'm not going to be visiting the Milan/Lake Como area on my trip this year, unfortunately.  But, if you have any restaurants or 'off the beaten track' tips for Venice, Padua, Florence, Pisa, Lucca, San Gimignano, Sienna, Assisi, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, Capri, or Rome, I'd love to have those, please!

Here's the free tasting at Stiegl Brewery in Salzburg.

goalie Platinum

Take a look at Camogli. Beautiful little town, reminds you of Cinque Terra with access. Close to Santa Margarita and Portofino. We took the train from here to Piza which gave us time for the tower but not much to explore the city which is quite delightful. Genoa is also quite lovely and very overlooked as is Turin which is just beautiful.

Goalie 

NewHilton,

Great pictures and wow you have some neat plans for Italy.  I have little experience in the cities you are going to and I am sure you will have a great time!

Please stay in touch and let all of us know where you are traveling.  We sure enjoy your times.

Thanks very much for the suggestions, Goalie!  I will certainly look into them!

I really would love to go to Cinque Terre but just can't find the time... I'm already packing so much into 3 weeks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...