14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 9:47 AM by caram28 RSS

Praia D'El Rey, Portugal

kunene Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone describe their experiences (good or bad) at this Marriott Resort north of Lisbon.  I am planning on staying there for 6 nights in July and would like advice on places to go and the best ways to get there (transportation).  I will be flying into Lisbon and it looks like it might be difficult getting to this resort via buses/trains and a taxi is quoted as being $140Euro!  Any help advice would be greatly apprecieated.  Thanks in advance...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Frankfurt, Germany
  • Re: Praia D'El Rey, Portugal
    lesliepamel Platinum
    Kunene, PDR is absolutly fabulous. Restaurants Bars Pool gardens and the staff are all fabulous. However I gained the impression that it is rather out-of the-way resort. I used a rental car to drive from Lisbon airport -after a 4 days stopover at the Lisbon Marriott, I collected a car from the airport.It is about one hour drive, and once clear of Lisbon the modern two lane dual carrigeways are mostly empty. There are plenty of great places to visit within an hours drive.(to name a few - Leiria,Fatima,Nazare,Alcobaca,Obidos and Meilaleca) but I don't know how you would get by with public transport. Apart from in Lisbon I don't remember seeing a bus or rail station all week. The hotel corridors are a first for me, each level has natural light thro' a skylight in the roof. (Sounds like a prison! but it is far from that.)Oh and the beach is simply the best. It is approached by a set of very safe steps which take you about 100 foot down a cliff to the beach. I reckon it is better than Newort Beach Ca.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lesliepamel Platinum
    I knew I had a picture somewhere of those steps to the beach. Also included is one shot of the spectacular gardens

pauliemats Silver

I have not stayed at this Marriott in Portugal, however the area is great.  A car is essential.  I would not miss Sintra, Obidos, Cascais, Nazare just to name a few.  A lot to do in Lisbon as well.  After spending the day in Lisbon and after dinner look for a night spot called Silk.  Relatively new and sits on top of a tall building overlooking all of Lisbon while having a couple of cocktails and live Jazz...Great way to finish the night.

Enjoy

Thank you very much for your response.  I was very helpful.  I have decided to rent a car via economycarrentals.com based on successes that other posters have had.  It seems insurance is included and the prices are cheaper than the name brand agencies.  

Thanks as well for including the pictures.  It looks so beautiful and has me even more excited about the trip.  If you have any more I'd love to see them. 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Kunene,

Try Kemwel.com for your car rental.  I had not heard of economycarrentals.com until I read your post.  Just checked it for my 4-day car rental in Italy. For the same car on both sites, Kemwel was $83 cheaper.  They also include the required insurances (no excess).

Have a great trip...Portugal is on my list for a future vacation!

lesliepamel Platinum

KUNENE, I HOPE THESE PICTURES ENHANCE THE FLAVOUR OF YOUR FORTHCOMING VACATION

WOW!  Thank you for posting the photos!  I leave in two days and can't wait to see firsthand how beautiful the property and surrounding areas are.  

I also want to thank the other posters for the suggestions they have given for my trip.  I ended up going with economycarrentals.com (I had already booked it) and will report back after my trip how everything worked out.

Ate logo! 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Salinas looks like a pretty cool town to check out while you're there...   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31567543/ns/travel-destinations/

Have a great trip!  Let us know how it was when you return!

Thanks for the excellent article on Salinas.  I will definitely check it out and report back in a few weeks.  Thanks again to all!

livingmarriott Platinum 2 Reviews

I was last year in praia d'el rey.

If you want to go out of the hotel, you need a car - it's a must.

There some lovely villages in a circle from 50 km (p.ex. obidos)

I think the beach is longer than 10 kn. If you like to walk on the beach, its perfect.

From the rooms you have a nice sight to the ocean. In may or october you have some cold winds when the sunshine.

You can play golf or tennis. But if you want to see mor, rent a car,

soleburysam Gold 2 Reviews

I plan to make rge same trip in Marxh.  What was your experience like at this resprt / area.  Thanks

ptrambler Member 2 Reviews

I've been there once and it's magnificent. Like the other have said, you need a car to get there since public transportation is quite limited.

nancyj Gold

Did you enjoy your stay at this resort?  We have 4 nights reserved there this June.  Would love to hear your comments.

Nancy

caram28 Silver

All of these posts are most informative - Thank you.  I am thinking of booking a week using points for mid-late June.  I have read some things about the weather particularly at this resort being rather cool all year.  Can anyone comment on their experience with the weather at this location?  We are looking for a warm place.  It doesn't have to be hot but we would like to be able to enjoy the pool and beach and wear summer clothing.  Thank you in advance for your replies.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...