10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2009 1:26 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Residence Inn Times Square follow up to my posting

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The management at the Residence Inn Times Square are the worst i have ever encountered in any stay at a Marriott brand property. Despite meeting them in person, and following this up with emails, they remain completely unmoved and stubborn and without feeling towards a loyal Platinum customer. Having been given a $50 coupon on checkout which I tried to use at "any Marriott brand" I was refused at the  Marriott Marquis in Times square, who did actually do their very best in also trying to get the Residence Inn to see sense, and even when I said I would cancel my future stay at the Residence Inn they still dug their heels in and refused to do anything about the $50 coupon which quite easily could have been redeemed during my next stay there even though it was for 1 night and not 2. However, the management simply argued the point and this has meant the cancellation of my stay there and with hotels all fighting to retain as much business as possible in the credit crunch, the Residence Inn allowed me to leave unhappy and not to return. What do Marriott think about that I wonder? Is that good marketing or customer care? No I dont think so. The management of the Residence Inn clearly do not care about upsetting a Platinum member who brings in a huge amount of revenue to Marriott, and all for the sake of $50, especially when you sometimes hear people asking for things to be taken off their bill, this hotel could have done the same with my coupon or offered me a better rate for my next stay, but just stood there arguing the point. I have never had this kind of treatment and if you dont want it, I would stay away!

A Suite Deal for a Weekend Stay

At Residence Inn, all of our rooms are suites – all perfect for weekend stays. Bring along your family and spread out. Relax, explore, and thrive.

When you do, you’ll receive $50 off your next stay – all year long. Here’s how it works:

• Stay a Friday or Saturday night at participating Residence Inn properties – through December 31, 2009 – using promotion code RPN to book your stay
  • Receive a $50 Bonus Bucks® coupon to use on your next 2-night weekend stay at any participating Marriott hotel or resort worldwide (WHY DOESNT THIS SAY 'TO USE ON YOUR NEXT 2 NIGHT WEEKEND STAY AT PARTICIPATING RESIDENCE INNS")

In the terms and conditions it says

Terms & Conditions

Receive a $50 Bonus Bucks® Coupon when you stay a Friday or Saturday night at participating Residence Inn locations in the Continental US and Canada from February 13-December 31, 2009. One $50 Coupon issued per room, per stay, which can be used toward a future two-night minimum weekend stay (Thursday-Sunday) at participating Marriott brand properties worldwide. A stay is defined as consecutive night(s) spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. Coupon cannot be redeemed for cash. Coupon expiration date applies. See reverse side of Coupon for complete terms and conditions of use. Void where prohibited. Offer available at participating Residence Inn locations only and for a limited number of rooms. Offer not applicable to groups of ten rooms or more. To book your stay visit Marriott or call 1-877-Marriott and mention code RPN. © 2009 Marriott International, Inc (WHY DOES IT SAY IT CAN BE USED AT MARRIOTT BRAND PROPERTIES WORLDWIDE, AND THEN ALMOST AT THE END OF THE T&C'S "OFFER AVAILABLE AT PARTICIPATING RESIDENCE INN LOCATIONS")

This is very very misleading and ambiguos because it doesnt say that the voucher has to be redeemed at Residence Inns.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Residence Inn Times Square follow up to my posting
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Platinumstar

Regrets to hear that the conditions you experienced worstened.  As mentioned earlier, the best practice is to Report and Escalate.  Did you write Customer.Care@marriott.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi TJC

No i didnt write to Marriott customer care yet as I was to see what response I got from the General Manager of the hotel. Because they are still not admitting that it is a misleading ad - and simply pointing to the t&c's, which I still feel are misleading, I will be taking this further. I've never ever met such a stubborn management, whatever happened to "the guest is always right". I know that simply cannot always be the case, but for the sake of good customer care and making sure that future custom is not lost (which it now has been), they should have said "yes we agree it isnt excatly worded correctly and of course we will honour the $50 on your next stay or something similar", but no, they just stuck to their story and refused to budge one little inch. APPALING SERVICE AND ATTITUDE! I have taken your advise TJC and will be making my views known to Marriott at the higlest levels.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Platinumstar

Use the time and effort trying to resolve this with the GM to your advantage. 

In your narrative, state that the GM failed to deliver upon the Marriott promise.  Instead of being revived, refreshed and re-energized, the ordeal leaves you totally dissatisfied to the point of rethinking your loyalty to the Marriott brand.  To create added advantage, explore Platinum status at Hilton Honors or SPG by reciprocity.  

Given your ordeal, demand that customer.care refund your entire stay and make them see that $50 goodwill adjustment would have been better the first time around.

What will happen is that customer.care will route your complaint to the GM. He/she will call or email you.  Refuse stating that you have already gone that route and desire escalation.  Keep escalating until you achieve your objective.

Good luck

rogdude Gold 1 Reviews
    The voucher should be able to be used at any Marriott. The reference in the fine print refers to the original offer of receiving the voucher, not to the redemption of the voucher.  I would definitely report your problem to the Marriott customer service people.

Thanks for your input on this. The Residence Inn maintained that the voucher could only be used at another Residence Inn and the Marriott Marquis also said the same. However, the manager at the Marriott Marquis did give me the $50 credit when he heard about it, and I applaud him for seeing the customers point of view. Its just a shame that the bad management at the Residence Inn Times Square dug their heels in so hard and flatly refused to budge one inch. I did contact Marriott customer care and they too agreed with me that the voucher could be used at any Marriott and gave me 25,000 points for the inconveience, charging both the Residence Inn and the Marriott Marquis 12,500 points each to be credited to my account.

jayneoliz Gold 3 Reviews
    Excerpt from post on May 15 by PlatinumStar: "One $50 Coupon issued per room, per stay, which can be used toward a future two-night minimum weekend stay (Thursday-Sunday) at participating Marriott brand properties worldwide. A stay is defined as consecutive night(s) spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. Coupon cannot be redeemed for cash. Coupon expiration date applies. See reverse side of Coupon for complete terms and conditions of use. Void where prohibited. Offer available at participating Residence Inn locations only and for a limited number of rooms. Offer not applicable to groups of ten" Hi Plat, I believe I understand what appears to be conflicting detail regarding where this coupon can be used.. You asked why it states valid Worldwide [a future two-night minimum weekend stay (Thursday-Sunday) at participating Marriott brand properties worldwide] and later availalbe only at Res Inn [Offer available at participating Residence Inn locations only]. The first reference "Participating Marriott properties Worldwide" references where the coupon can be redeemed. The second reference "Residence Inn's" relates to where you can get the deal that provides you with the certificate in the first place. Yes, this is *very* confusing but after you've read a few hundred corporate contracts you get used to this type of language and *MUCH* worse. Good luck with your battle, it's a rightous one! BTW - one tactic that could be used by the hotel to get out of accepting this coupon would be to claim that they are not a "PARTICIPATING" location. I've not had an opportunity to review the location's licensee contract with Marriott but it's very reasonable to expect that they would have to have provided some sort of documentation to Marriott opting out of the promo BEFORE you requested redemption. Have you taken this up with Marriott/MR's customer service and gone up the line of Management?

Hi. I'm glad you understood how the voucher should work, but the management at The Residence Inn Times Sq and the Marriott Marquis Times Sq front desk staff all disagreed with me and said the voucher could only be REDEEMED at Residence Inn properties. I found the Marriott Marquis very sympathetic to my plight and understood how the voucher was confusing but still refused to honor it until I emailed the GM while still being a resident, who then credited me with the $50. The management at The Residence Inn were not as helpful and said i was the one misreading the voucher and dug their heels firmly into the ground, so much so that I cancelled my next stay with them. I did contact Marriott customer care who agreed with me and instructed both hotels to credit me with 12,500 MRP. I have to be honest, there are quite a few Marriott offers that have confusing information and i think their marketing department could do with a refresher course in wording their offers to make them user friendly (and workable)

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Thanks for the update and congratulations on the resolution in your favor. 

Hi TJC. Actually its because of your earlier reply to my original posting that prompted me to write to Marriott customer care because to be honest i had enough of the whole thing and felt i was getting nowhere with it. I used some of your ideas (as below) , so thanks for the suggestion which as you know resulted in success for me, not only in being rewarded marriott points, but to get customer care to agree with me.

In your narrative, state that the GM failed to deliver upon the Marriott promise.  Instead of being revived, refreshed and re-energized, the ordeal leaves you totally dissatisfied to the point of rethinking your loyalty to the Marriott brand.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Platinumstar

The acknowledgement and thanks is very much appreciated.  In my experience over the past year, I have found that the associates at Marriott's Customer Care take pride and ownership for delivering on the Marriott promise. 

Mistakes do happen. Service falls through.  Someone drops the ball.  Marriott Customer Care champions the guest perspective, but spelling out one's expectations in terms of what Marriott promises gets the results.  Congratulations again with very best wishes that your return trip to NYC is memorable.

Cheers   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...