18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2009 4:59 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Room Pricing?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As a Premier Platinum member I would like to share a concern.  How does one understand the M, inconsistent room pricing?  

When a qualified person books a room on the computer, or calls, they have various choices of rates, Reg. rates, AAA, 62+, or gov't.  Many times, your good customers who think they are saving money, by getting a lower rate due to a discounted rate category, are actually PAYING MORE!  More, than people who do not qualify for ANY discount.  Likewise, there really is no consistency on which category choice IS the best rate!  This all seems to conflict with your pledge of  "Best room rates guaranteed".

Would it make sense to have the "Best price", for your best customers?  This would eliminate them, or your reservationists for having to "Shop" the really best rates each and every time a reservation is made?  Likewise, it might help take some of the "Sting", each of us experience, before checking in, when passing competitors properties, who have blinking neon signs saying, "Rooms for $29.95"! (Especially when a BOSS or heaven forbid, Accountants are in the car!}

Please check this pricing situation on the computer, or talk to your reservationists, just let the customers who deserve, "The lowest rate", get it! 

• Re: Room Pricing?
    jeannieniles Platinum

I have wondered about the pricing also.    It's my understanding that Platinum Elite Members are guaranteed the best rates, but  when I check online there are huge differences between no discount, senior citizen, triple A, etc. 

Does anyone know why?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Inconsistent pricing is a valid concern and became more pronounced after the 2009 changes were announced in October 2008. When I learned here that Marriott GMs were told by Marriott corporate 'not to over-achieve', inconsistent pricing became one more red flag to beware of.  If a hotel cannot manage the rates that are posted publicly, what more of core operations from front desk to housekeeping?  Pricing impacts the reservations experience.  If a property starts misleading you when you're shopping for the best rate, why bother?  From experience, it's downhill from there.       

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jeannine,

I cannot figure it out "Maybe you and others can"!

No one has ever said to me, "Because you are platinum, you get the best rate".

It may happen, but not to me. 

jeannieniles Platinum

Thanks Jerry!   I have so appreciated your responding to my posts.  They have been very very helpful.

Jeannie

Jeannie,

Thanks, you are headed for some great times!

I want to send you some pictures of my recent stay in SD.

Please let me know if there are any other spots I could possibly help with. 

M,

Could you please review your recent email on the "20 % week-end discount on week-end stays"?

Trying to book a week-end over email notice you sent me for Elk Grove Village and it turned out the web-site price was less booking the room direct than booking over the "Special" email you sent me.  

Again, I am not sure how you get rate consistency, but one would think your "Specials" would be less expensive than booking the rooms directly. 

nycuws10025 Platinum

Wow. I don't know how I missed THIS thread - directly related to one of my carefully cultivated "pet peeves" about booking at Marriott.com (or calling Res, which as a hearing-impaired indivitual, I do everything I can to avoid, but  I digress.  That's a separate issue).  Finding that the regular rate is/was lower than the so-called discounted rate you booked!

I find it quite annoying to request a rate using one of the discounts for which I am legitimately qualified only to find that the "best available rate" is lower.   With the recent 20% Global discount promotion, I've seen it a lot - the "regular rate" (the 20% discounted rate) was generally lower than the AAA, Sr. Citizen rate (spouse), Travel Industy (both of us)and others that I use when booking.

From my experience in the airline industry, I know that our systems, when asked for a Senior Citizen, Student, Visit USA or other discounted fare, automatically price at the LOWEST fare with a notification: "Fare Quoted Is Lower Than Passenger Type Requested" if the regular fare is lower than the discount we asked for.   If the SC fare is lower than the regular fare, we get the SC fare.  If the regular fare is lower, we get the regular fare with a notification that the SC fare is not what we are seeing.

Clearly if airline pricing systems can handle this, hotel systems should (at least in my opinion) be able to handle it too.

There are clearly benefits for Marriott:

• Shortened call time for guests calling RES allows Marriott Reservations Associates to handle more calls in less time.  There is a LOT of time wasted when a Res associate has to "shop" through all of the available rates.
    • Improved corporate perception by guests, whether regulars like us, or non MR members.  Pissed off customers are never good for any company.

IDEALLY, I would like to be able to enter ALL the discount codes for which I am eligible into a stored profile and when looking for a room, have Marriott.com check all the discount codes in my profile and tell me which of them gives me the best rate.  THAT would be a major piece of programming so I can acknowledge M not wanting to spend the money.

But, to bring it back to the original post to which I'm replying, I should NOT have to worry that the regular rate is lower than the supposedly discounted rate I was quoted.

Best regards to all for a nice first weekend in June

NYCUWS10025

NYC,

Thanks for your analysis!

This really must be an "Oversight"?  Why would room prices vary so much, and regular rates be less than "Discounted' rates?

Thanks,

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Ironically Marriott says that we are getting the best price, guaranteed on their website.  Room prices vary from Rack to cheap (Priceline) for the same room depending on occupancy loads, special events, incentive programs and the like.  In the old days when I would call for a reservation--hardly ever do that now, I would ask for the full panoply of discounts, and then (assuming I qualified for them) get the best one.  I also called back numerous times, since it was clear that the closer one gets to the arrival the more chance that a small window of lower price rooms will open--and it often does.

Marriott has also negotiated rates with specific companies, and if you are an employee of that company (Lockheed is one) try for that discount.

Bottom line is keep asking--no one offers the cheapest price at the outset, sadly.  You have to work to find it. 

Stepping,

The slider idea sounds great!

There must be a simpler, better way?

Thanks,

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Thanks Jerry--hopefully we can get this implemented

Stepping,

Again good luck, your comments about special pricing for companies is also very interesting. Likewise, shopping till the last minute is great advice as well.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

Many companies negotiate rates with local hotels so their off-site employees, customers, consultants, etc. stay there at a reduced rate.  My room at the CY is $169 online, but my client's rate is $112/night.

Often times in the 'Nearby' section of the hotel's website, you'll see companies mentioned.... betcha' they have a negotiated rate!  ;-)

NewHilton,

You have done it again!

Thanks for sharing this with all of us!  Your experiences will save all of us some real money and allow us to have more fun when traveling.  Thanks~ 

NewHilton,

You bring up something new with your rental car analysis of reserving rooms!

Never thought that a rental car deal could save you money on  a room!

Thanks! 

Jerry,

Sorry.... you've lost me.  What rental car analysis of reserving rooms, please?

Newhilton,

I must have totally "Blown it"!

Somehow I thought you shared with us a way to save money on room rates when you rented a car.  It must have been too late in the day!

No problem, Jerry!

I did post a URL link to rental car and hotel discount codes in the Hotel forum.  Maybe that is what you saw.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...