3 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2009 8:25 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Four choices in San Francisco

vpplayer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have a three day weekend to spend solo in San Francisco in June (19-22) and would like to stay downtown without renting a car.  I've been to SF before but never stayed in town. Marriott has some really good AAA weekend rates which i have narrowed down to four hotels:

-JW $132

-Stanford Court Renaissance (Nob Hill) $97

-Courtyard (2nd St) $69

-Courtyard Fisherman's Wharf $104

Accommodations don't have to be fancy but comfortable (not teeny tiny rooms).  I'll need public transit close by and able to walk in the local area that is safe.  Restaurants nearby would be nice too.  Not so much a tourist, but I would like to get to Chinatown, FW, and the GG bridge, and maybe a baseball game too.  Hmm.  I guess that IS touristy stuff...

Having to pay for internet is not a big deal for me, if i can get Concierge access or breakfast coupons.  I am leaning toward the Stanford for location, or the Courtyard for price.  Actually the low price on the courtyard makes me wonder if it is in a desirable location.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Re: Four choices in San Francisco
    tjcnewyork Platinum

VPPlayer

I'm partial to the waterfront and would recommend the Courtyard Fisherman's Wharf, but it's NOT on the waterfront or the Wharf.  It's 3 blocks away. 

Your hunch about the Stanford Court is intuitive and spot-on. Nob Hill is centrally located and close to transit. The Stanford is on California Ave, the east-west cable car route; and Powell, the north-south Powell line routes (Powell/Hyde and Powell/Mason).  Using the cable cars, you'll enjoy the historic charm that San Francisco is known for. 

SF MAP

On foot, you'll discover/rediscover another legendary hotel, the Fairmont (across the street), Huntington Park (around the corner), Union Square (5 blocks away) and work up an appetite getting to Chinatown (7 blocks).

Have fun and remember to send us postcards!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vpplayer Platinum

TJC:

Thank you so much for that very useful info - you confirmed my instincts and I am sure gave me great advice for someone not renting a car.  I've even going to stay an extra night at the Stanford at $152 since the location is so convenient and so I don't have to move prior to catching my plane home.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

VPPlayer

Sounds very exciting, I'm delighted the information was helpful.  The Stanford Court underwent a renovation since I stayed there.  Consider checking out the reviews, traveler photos and professional photos at TripAdvisor. The new look is fresh and contemporary.

Since the rollout of the 2009 changes, my new best practice is to call about a week prior to arrival and engage the Front Desk about my expectations and any special requests, and to follow-up with a call the day prior to arrival to firm-up.  The conversation might touch upon early check-in/late check-out, Platinum upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite and recommendations about available dining if your flight is late, best attire for the weather conditions and travel to or from the airport.  The objective is to ~CONNECT~ with a person who will feel accountable for meeting your expectations and accomodating your special requests.  Note the names of everyone you speak with.  A brief 10 minute conversation can make all the difference. 

ENJOY!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...