Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

13 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2009 10:36 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Summer Promotion Stay 3 get one free

gshock Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Saw the new promotion.  This is in response to Starwood, Intercontinental etc.  I am disappointed that the awarded night is only for hotel categories 1-4 when all of the Marriott properties I stay in are category 5 and above

• Re: Summer Promotion Stay 3 get one free
    tjcnewyork Platinum

GShock

That's a really cryptic message.  Where is this new promotion posted?  What is the URL?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gshock Platinum
    It is posted on the Marriott home page when you sign in with your password

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Got it - thanks.  For convenience, click Summer Promotion Stay 3 Get One Free for the Offer Details.  While stays at all Marriott brands* are eligible for qualifying for the Free Night, as you point out, Gshock, the award may only be redeemed at category 1-4 hotels.  Essentially, the value of the Free Night is maxed at 20,000 points.  Be open-minded about the brands and categories.  There are several category 3 and 4 properties that are quite good and merit a stay. (The ones to avoid have already been noted.)

* Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance® Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn by Marriott®, SpringHill Suites by Marriott®, Residence Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites by Marriott®, Marriott Vacation Club® International. 

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I don't have a problem with the catagory 1-4 deal, but didn't we just finish a promotion where we got 35,000 points for 20 stays and 50,000 for 25 stays.  This new promo seems to be a bit watered down...or maybe I've missed something.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

You're not missing anything, it's a lame offer.

I was anxiously awaiting a  really great summer promotion that may have put an extra 40k points into my account or a free night at a CAT 6-8 property.

While making a reservation at the Marriott site I noticed that they are now promoting this as a fabulous offer. Here's the text:

If you ever needed a vacation from the ups and downs of every day life, this is the time and here’s the way: Stay at Marriott
    June 1 through August 31, 2009 and earn extra Marriott Rewards toward your own dream getaway.

Thing is, "extra Marriott Rewards" are not being offered. Also, the picture used for the promotion depicts a luxury resort, certainly not a CAT 4 property. Hardly a dream getaway.

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews
    Re: Extra points promotion - I tried to enrol for this offer and it says I'm not eligible!!! Im a Platnum member, so how do I become elgible? Perhaps I'm too loyal and they dont need to promote offers to me? Am very dissapointed and will be taking this further ith Marriott.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg (See Postscript 5/27)

"the picture used for the promotion depicts a luxury resort, certainly not a CAT 4 property. Hardly a dream getaway."

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/SummerPromotion.jpg

The juxtaposition of "Category 4" and an image* that looks like a luxury resort seems potentially misleading.  Getting under the hood, however, searching by Category 1, 2, 3 and 4 with a filter set to "Beach" yields some surprises.  There are beachfront properties including a range of brands: Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Marriott Resort and JW Marriott:

CATEGORY 1 or 2

• No beach properties

CATEGORY 3

• Residence Inn Sebring, Florida, USA (lakefront)
    • Doha Marriott Hotel, Qatar, Saudi Arabia

CATEGORY 4

• JW Marriott Hotel Cairo, Egypt
    • Hurghada Marriott Beach Resort, Egypt
    • Sharm El Sheikh Marriott Resort, Egypt
    • Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
    • Taba Heights Marriott Beach Resort, Egypt
    • Renaissance Naruto Resort, Japan
    • Courtyard Hua Hin at Cha am Beach, Thailand
    • Courtyard Phuket at Kamala Beach, Thailand
    • Courtyard Phuket at Surin Beach, Thailand
    • Renaissance Antalya Beach Resort & Spa, Turkey
    • Swansea Marriott Hotel, United Kingdom
    • Courtyard Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA
    • Courtyard Hutchinson Island Oceanside/Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
    • Fairfield Inn & Suites Virginia Beach Oceanfront, Virginia, USA

Now, is it worth 1 free night to "Escape and Renew in Our World"  by travelling to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Japan or Thailand?  NOT.  So, why set unrealistic expectations?  If Marriott's purpose was to showcase these properties, why not just list them?  I don't get it, either.

*  Postscript 5/27:  Confirming your hunch, Mikieg, the image is "not a CAT 4 property" it's the JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa, Costa Rica, a Category 6 hotel. The Summer Promotion has several variations, see New Summer Promotion has Variations.  Email Marriott.Concierge@marriott.com if you want to switch to a different Summer Promotion offering.

As a resident of Florida, one thing I do know about the state is that Sebring is landlocked and nowhere near the coast. I guess Marriott considers properties on a small lake as "Beachfront".

mnnice Platinum

When I click on this, I get a different promotion. Mine is

Register to earn 25,000 points with Marriott Rewards®

Leave your cares, your work and your world behind. Sign up now to earn 25,000 bonus points after you stay 20 paid nights at Marriott hotels worldwide. It’s a free and easy way to earn the extra points you need to enjoy the getaway you want.

Follow these 3 steps and you’ll be on your way:

Register: By selecting the red “Register” button to the right, or by calling 1-888-MARRIOTT (627-7468).

Stay: At any of more than 3,000 participating Marriott hotels June 1 to August 31, 2009.

Earn: 25,000 bonus points after you stay 20 paid nights at Marriott hotels.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

"As a resident of Florida, one thing I do know about the state is that Sebring is landlocked and nowhere near the coast. I guess Marriott considers properties on a small lake as "Beachfront".

I KNEW if Sebring were included that you would be very quick to point it out!  Surprisingly, Sebring is one of two properties that are landlocked yet Marriott classifies as beachfront.  The other Category 4 that showed up in the 'beachfront' filter, but I left out of the listing is The Depot Minneapolis, A Renaissance Hotel. This property has an indoor water park and is clearly, mis-categorized as beachfront.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I'm with MNNice...I am registered for the 25k pts for 20 nights.  Nothing said in my promo about a free night in cat 1-4.  I "assume" I'm still earning double night credit while at the same time accruing these 20 nights for 25k pts.  As Mike from FL put it, this is a lame offer since we just finished 35k pts for 25 nights or 50k pts for 30 nights.  Marriott is backtracking.

• New Summer Promotion has Variations
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    Heads-Up Insiders:

According to a message from Marriott Concierge on Flyertalk, there are several Summer Promotions:

"Good Morning,

The 2009 Summer Promotion has been announced, as many of you are aware of by looking at your on-line account.

Different offers have been offered to members, but all members are eligible to participate in the promotion. Register for the promotion May 8 through June 30. The earning timeframe for the promotion is June 1 through August 31.

If there is no promotional announcement on your account, or you have questions about your individual offer call Guest Services or send me a personal message for assistace.

Regards,

Kate

Based upon the posts on Flyertalk, there are different variations under the Summer Promotion umbrella:

• Earn 25,000 bonus points after you stay 20 paid nights.
    • Earn One Free Night at Category 1-4 hotel after 3rd paid stay.
    • Earn 5,000 bonus points per stay starting after second stay up to a maximum of 15,000 bonus points.
    • Earn 20,000 bonus points after you stay 15 paid nights.
    • Earn 20,000 points with 15 qualifying nights.
    • Earn 5,000 bonus points after every other paid stay – starting with your second stay. It's a quick and easy way to earn up to 15,000 bonus points.
    • Earn 5,000 bonus points after every other paid stay – starting with your second stay, It's a quick and easy way to earn up to 25K bonus points.

Platinumstar is in good company, there are also reports on FlyerTalk about ineligibility:  "You are not eligible for this promotion and could not be registered at this time. If you feel you are receiving this message in error, please contact your local Marriott Rewards Guest Services office for assistance."

To add to the fun/confusion, Flyertalk posters asked about concurrent promotions.  Here's the reply from Marriott Concierge:

"Good Morning,

If you are registered for the Acquisition Promotion, (new members) May 1-July 31, and the Summer Promotion June 1-August 31, then yes, you will earn free night certificates when the requirements are met for both promotions.

If you have one stay that is within both promotional earning dates, that stay will count towards the requirement for the Acquisition Promotion as well as counting towards the requirement for the Summer Promotion.

One stay will be counting towards two different promotions.

Regards,

Kate

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...