31 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2010 11:24 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Letter to Platinum Elites from Ed French

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Did you receive a letter from Ed French, SVP Marriott Rewards in the mail? The letter announces Elite Rollover Nights Plus Double Nights which starts May 11 through June 26. 

Is Elite Rollover Nights better than the Megabonus Promotion?  Does Marriott Rewards continue to have the Best Elite Program?  What do you think of this promotion?  

• Re: Letter to Elite from Ed French
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    Megabonus all the way. Keep in mind that there are some Lifer's out there like me that now have no use for rollovers, although it sure would have come in handy all those years when I was earning the lifetime level.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Letter to Platinum Elites from Ed French
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

"Megabonus all the way."

Megabonus was immensely popular in Europe, Middle East and Africa; more so than the Americas *

"Keep in mind that there are some Lifer's out there like me that now have no use for rollovers"

Notes taken.

* 1st AGAIN-Best Program, Best Web Site, Best Customer Service

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I got the letter from Ed French last week about 2 weeks after the Rollover and double nights promotions had been announced.  I don't want to complain, but I don't remember being asked whether I'd rather have bonus points, double points, rollover, etc.  I suppose I have about as much use for rollover nights as many of you have for the newspaper at the door.  Given the choice, they can keep the rollover and keep putting my USA today at the door.

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

"I suppose I have about as much use for rollover nights as many of you have for the newspaper at the door.  Given the choice, they can keep the rollover and keep putting my USA today at the door."

Priceless. Totally amused, I broke into a deep belly laugh. What a hoot!

tapline Platinum 2 Reviews

I kind of like the points as they rollover. Ive become quite  a points hound and want to see what they do when I hit a million next month. Ha.

Actually I will take some of them and go on a vacation with my wife, and will do it by following some of the good advice I've read on this site.

goalie Platinum

I am feeling a little less loyal these days, I am not sure why. Worn out road warrier?

I have always valued Marriott for consistency. This is where I find erosion. So may leased hotels with no empowerment of the management staff is noticeable. It's the little things those of us who spend endless nights in hotels notice. After a while the promotions become tiresome. Just give them to us with out a lot of fan fare. Getting the big promotion envelope is a joke, out dated by the time you get it and one less thing I need clogging up my mailbox when I am gone for weeks. If you spend 75 plus nights in a hotel, you are very likely to be computer literate and much less likely to pay much attention to mailings. This is what we mean by not diluting or insulting the elite status members. Give us some credit for being savvy travelers and loyal and do some REALLY meaningful stuff like reward us for suggestions and ditch the come ons! We can be your canary in the mine but lets make it easier! For example, I never fill in the customer satisfaction surveys because they take too much time, are outdated, overly complex and I don't get anything for my time. Reward my time and honesty and you'll benefit. So for every survey (please update your tool, it is really dated) I finish, give me some points!  I would be motivated and you are likely to get some very good and real feedback.

Lately, I have drifted off the grid and tried some other chains and frankly I have been impressed. I am dangerously close to abandoning my steadfast loyalty because I just don't see any real and sincere interest in loyalty. Time to reevaluate and modernize or you may be losing your best customers!

Goalie   

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Goalie,

Years ago, Marriott did give Rewards points as a thank you for completing the surveys... when they stopped giving the points, I stopped completing the surveys.  I agree that our time and feedback is important and should be rewarded.

nolife Platinum 3 Reviews
    My feelings are similar to yours.  I too am Platinum and am now trying other chains, Marriott has let their guard down, and like United Airlines, now just a beat up brand!!

keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

I'll hit 75 nights early next month. What is the value of rollover?

Why not do something extra for those who hit 100, or 125, or 150 in a year? That would help keep me loyal. As it is, once I hit 75 I can jump over to Hilton and get to Diamond status with them, thus broadening my options.

I agree with the poster who observed this continues to cheapen the Platinum designation, as do the double nights promotions. The lounges are already crowded, and upgrades are getting less frequent. These changes will just make matters worse for those of us who legitimately spend at least 75 nights at Marriott each year. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes I got Ed's letter.  It contained the rollover promotion and the limited time double nights promotion.  I had previously gotten another letter telling me that if I stayed 100 nights I'd be renewed as a Platinum Premier.  This is much less than the 125 plus nights in past years and reflects the state of things in the hospitality program

There may be a summer megabonus as well I hear.  As for one being better than the other that depends on your situation: if you are lacking in nights to renew it's a good deal. If not it merely adds to your rollover total.  

You can buy into your previous level (or could in the past when you were shy of nights) for as little as 40,000 points, for one year if you do it in the first couple months of the calendar year.

Marriott should consider some of the things that we also get in other loyalty programs at the top tier:  no Internet charges, limited suite upgrades, free pressing and dry cleaning, etc.  It would make the program even better.  

Moreover I would like to see the Platinum Premier level made more special--after all it reflects the top of the most loyal clientele and should be recognzied as such.  To merely have a special phone number (which is answered by the Platinum folks in SLC) is faint praise in my opinion.  

There should be a real recognition of the achievement of being in the top three percent of all Rewards customers. Perhaps, a special RFID enabled card to expedite checkin, a separate lounge in larger hotels, valet service, use of a house car, etc.  In better economic times this would be offered and accepted by everyone.

Hope that answers the questions. 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    That's a great point!

goalie Platinum

I have to laugh when you compare the fading rewards program to United. I walked after 12 years of premier exec and 100K and never looked back. It was at the end of a long, difficult year and the last straw. I divorced them,  cashed in 400,000 points, cancelled the credit card and took the family to Hawaii. I have flown them twice in the last three years only because I had to. I have had good and bad experiences with many others since but I am now open to airlines, routes and have found really clever innovative stuff and new faces. By the way, United sent me a form letter and unuseable $200. certificate. Never heard from them again. Now thats loyalty.

It is a buyers market right now and the incentives to seek out Marriott are getting very few. Sincerity is what we all really desire along with no hassles and slight of hand tricks. We're also your best advocates and we are probably worth more then the millions you spend on advertising. 

By the way, the new TownePlace Suites are really nice. Stayed in a brand new one the other day, what a gem. The older Residence Inns are looking very faded and pale when compared to the new ones and the new TowneSuites.  

Goalie

Yep I also divorced United after the schaudenfreude experience I felt when they went into chapter 11.    I was summarily dismissed from Mileage Plus without even a "sorry to see you go" letter, by the way. Now I use mostly Jet Blue, an airline that caters to customers, rather than ferry them to places in uncomfrotable seats.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping

"JetBlue"

Not to get off topic, JetBlue is my airline of choice, too and headquartered in New York! I hope they start offering service to Hawaii soon.  The new terminal at JFK is great. JetBlue placed 5th in the Freddies in a couple of categories - so they are having an impact.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping:

"a special RFID enabled card"

An RFID tag seems over-the-top and conjures images of a "Lowjack" cuff or a barcode on retail merchandise, could you elaborate on the thinking?  I prefer a level of personal engagement with a smile, handshake and a welcome.  RFID triggers comical situations, like a red light flashing, beep sounding or voice announcing, "Platinum Premier Alert, Platinum Premier Alert" at the front desk when you approach.  I definitely don't want that, what are you envisioning would happen?

RFID can be on a piece of magnetic tape, like the one developed at SRI International for use in shipping.  It merely IDs you as the person with the card, much like the RFID on a Prius "key" when you insert it.  It has no alarms or other uses beyond that.

See this article for additional MS developed applications:  http://www.usingrfid.com/news/read.asp?lc=d73048sx74zc

TJC:

Jet Blue gets it and gets it right  They have asked and I have volunteered to be a beta tester on new ideas--which amazingly they seem willing to implement--for additional services.  The trend in airlines is reducing the experience to that of a tired bus, except for the fine folks there.

Happy Jetting! 

elitepro Member
    I wrote about my experience with Marriott Rewards on  http://tinyurl.com/qyzkrk http://tinyurl.com/qbd5m3  Marriott was a top winner at the   Freddie Awardsfor the best Elite Level  hotel loyalty programs were awarded to Alaska Airlines for their Mileage Plan program and to Marriott Rewards for Europe/Middle East/Africa.I did not receive a letter from Ed French in the mail but think it is the one I got an email on,? The letter announces Elite Rollover Nights Plus Double Nights which starts May 11 through June 26.  The elite rollover and double nights is a good idea. I do think that Elite Rollover Nights is  better than the Megabonus Promotion because  the Platimum members have to achieve more nights for the Megabonus than silver members. Though the last Megabonus gave us points even if we did not make the full 25 nights.      I have been staying at many of the Marriott hotels as they opened over the past 25 years. When I was livingin Asia, Europe, S. America and Africa, I stayed at Starwood, IHG and Hyatt hotels because there were no Marriott hotels at the time.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Elitepro

"Marriott was a top winner at the   Freddie Awardsfor the best Elite Level  hotel loyalty programs"

As you point out in your write-up, Hilton Honors overtook Marriott to claim 1st for Best Awards.  Marriott's 3rd place delivers the message that there is alot more ground to cover in easing 'sticker shock'.  The outcry over point inflation and increased redemption levels continues to be deafening.

Aside from that thorn, Ed French's letter to Platinum Elites announcing Elite Rollover Nights is well timed.  We are reminded  that Marriott also took 1st Place for Best Program, Best Web Site and Best Customer Service at the Freddie Awards.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/BestProgramoftheYear-Marriott.jpg

Kodak Moment: Ed French accepting the Freddie Award for Best Program-Americas

One point that merits highlighting is that voting is value-based.  From that perspective, Marriott's success reflects the value that Marriott Rewards members derive from the program. Marriott Rewards members voted Marriott to 1st Place in eight prestigious categories:

• Best Customer Service - Americas
    • Best Web Site - Americas
    • Best Web Site - Asia Pacific
    • Best Elite Level Progam - America
    • Best Elite Level Program - Europe, Middle East, Africa
    • Best Member Communications - Americas
    • Best Member Communications - Europe, Middle East, Africa
    • Best Promotion (MegaBonus) - Europe, Middle East, Africa

tjcnewyork Platinum

iF you haven't already done so, remember to register for Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights**. Since the Double Nights promotion started May 11th has anyone seen 2x the nights posted on your Marriott Rewards account?  How long are the nights stayed taking to post?  Any highlights worth noting?  Did anyone cross-over to Elite?  Congratulations to anyone who did!

* Elite Rollover Nights

** Register for Double Nights

None yet posted

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping

"None yet posted"

Hooray for Double Nights!  Hopefully your account is updated, mine is. For each stay, double nights is reflected as two entries under the Nights Credited Toward Elite Membership. Hypothetically:

Total Nights:               43  

Nights Stayed:            33

Bonus Nights:             10

If the intent is to reward loyalty with Elite status, I don't see why nights stayed while redeeming points can't be counted and credited towards Elite membership:

Total Nights:              48 

Nights Stayed:           33

Bonus Nights:            10

Nights Redeemed:       5

TJC -- I've stayed 6 nights since the double nights promo began, which I believe was 11 May as you stated; most recently 20 May.  All but that one are posted; it's taking a couple of days to post.  Really no difference from normal -- points are posted as before, but number of nights change is obvious.  At this rate, it won't take long for lots of MR members to go from silver to gold and so on.

kahunapremier Platinum

Herein lies the problem Marriott seems to face. I have already posted that Marriott is inconsistant regarding renewal for PP status within a year.

Talking with Elite desks AND MRewards, both have informed me that 75 nights is what you renew for PP status. Now in a formal letter from MR, Mr French is saying it is 100 nights for PP renewal.

Well, what is it Marriott-you can't have it both ways!

Agree with SS regarding increasing the value of PP status-as that is recognized by letter from Mr Marriott and represents top 3% of all Marriott travelers.

Any promotion that gives me more points is always a good thing!

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

"I've stayed 6 nights since the double nights promo began, which I believe was 11 May as you stated; most recently 20 May.  All but that one are posted; it's taking a couple of days to post.  Really no difference from normal -- points are posted as before, but number of nights change is obvious." 

Excellent!  Thanks for confirming.  

"At this rate, it won't take long for lots of MR members to go from silver to gold and so on."

Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights is a win-win for Marriott Rewards and for Marriott brands.  The response underscores the fact that Marriott has created an award-winning Elite Loyalty program and a platform for generating revenue.  Achieving Silver, Gold, Platinum and Platinum Premier status is prestigious and coveted.  It's a club culture that draws you in deeper because the perks convey status and achievement. 

Accolades to the Insider who suggested it and kudos to Marriott for listening and implementing it.     

TJC -- I'm defintely drawn in.  In the past ten years, there's probably been only a handful of times when I have stayed anywhere but Marriott properties.  If escalating the number of platinum members is Marriott's objective, they're getting there with promotions like double nights.  If, on the other hand, they are looking to enhance offerings and increase satisfaction for existing and new platinum members, they're treading water right now at best.  That said, I expect to be around for the next 10 years and beyond.

Mahalo Kahuna!

Any promotion that gives me more points is always a good thing!"

Make the Platinum  Premier worth the trouble that we've had being away from home worth it!  More bennies would be nice. Hertz, for example has two published (and several unpublished) levels of Number One Club Gold.  My Executive Elite status at National Cars garners excellent rental cars with no extra fees and even a pickup when landing at an FBO in my G-7 (which I wish I had). Good deals--you bet! 

Agree with SS...more points all the way.  In my case, the nights take care of themselves.

2cruizers Platinum 2 Reviews

Roll over nights and double night promotion. Yes, this was a BIG help with me keeping my elite status. Please do it again.

cwpugh Platinum 2 Reviews

I did not recieve your letter

tjcnewyork Platinum

CWPugh

Welcome to the Insiders community and thanks for posting.  The letter to Platinum Elites from Ed French of Marriott Rewards dates back to the 1st quarter of 2009.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...