15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2014 8:08 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Day trips out of Paris

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Will be in Paris [at Marriott Rive Gauche] a few days in June would like to do a couple of day trips any suggestions

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Day trips out of Paris
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I loved Chartres.  And, Versailles.  And, the chateaus of the Loire Valley... pick up some cheese, bread, fruit, sausages, pates, and wine on market day in one of the villages and leisurely enjoy lunch by the river.  Or how about Mont St. Michel, Giverny or Normandy? I haven't been there but I understand Reims is lovely.

What are your interests? 

Do you want to take a train or rent a car or do a train/car rental combo?  Or are you leaning towards a tour?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I loved Chartres.  And, Versailles.  And, the chateaus of the Loire Valley... pick up some cheese, bread, fruit, sausages, pates, and wine on market day in one of the villages and leisurely enjoy lunch by the river.  Or how about Mont St. Michel, Giverny or Normandy? I haven't been there but I understand Reims is lovely.

What are your interests? 

Do you want to take a train or rent a car or do a train/car rental combo?  Or are you leaning towards a tour?

I apologize... I don't know how my reply was posted 3 times! 

What are your interests? 

bloombergtv Member

take a day trip to Monet's garden at Giverny and Louis XIV's palace of Versailles.

There are so many nice restaurants near Versailles and great for shopping.

region of Champagne on a day trip from Paris. With its magnificent vineyards, impressive heritage

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

A day trip on June 6, to Normandy Beach, would be unforgettable!

It is an easy drive or tour trips are available.

It is really a neat experience. 

bloombergtv Member
    THANKS NEWHILTON... i THINK we will rent a car or do you think the train is easy? The chateaus of the Loire Valley... pick up some cheese, bread, fruit, sausages, pates, and wine on market day in one of the villages and leisurely enjoy lunch by the river sounds good.  How long does it take to get to Mont St. Michel from Paris?

The Loire Valley is a most impressive area for a short trip... I'd recommend taking the high-speed train to Tours and renting a car from there.  Drive around the local towns, get a picnic lunch, enjoy some of the wine caves (they really are caves!) and enjoy yourself  The tiny town of Bourguiel is an enjoyable stop for picnic pickups on market days... found myself with no wiine glasses but an antique/junk shop there provided a cute set and a wonderful castle (and I came home with the glasses as a souvenier)!  I recommend an overnight stay if you can find it in your timeline.  Just keep in mind, that market days vary from town to town.  There are so many charming, ancient towns and chateaus to choose from... do some research to see which interest you.  One  of my favorites is Chinon.

As for the timeline to Mont. St. Michel, there are train/bus combos or you can drive... you can check out the options on the internet.

Hope you enjoy!

NY,

The drive to Mont SM can take some time!  We always enjoy driving to Normandy first (About 1 1/2 hours from La Defense Ren), You should make a day out of it and plan on around three hours to get there, but it is well worth it.  Likewise, plan on lunch "Shutdowns" in smaller cities along the way from around Noon to 2 PM.

Have a great time! 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Theolejudge

"Will be in Paris [at Marriott Rive Gauche] a few days in June"

The Rive Gauche is on Rue St. Jacques aka Boulevard St. Jacques about a half hour stroll south of the Quartiere Latin.  See Paris Nightlife-Quartier Latin & St. Germaine des Pres and Hot-Maps 

Thanks TJCNewYork for the tips

Here are some free activities going on in Paris in June:

The only thing better than visiting Paris is being able to enjoy free events in Paris. Here's a round-up of activities for the lovely month of June.

La Foire Saint-Germain (May 22–July 5) This six-week neighborhood fair includes an antiques sale from June 4–15, a night of contemporary photography on June 22, and a book sale on June 26–28. Details, here. Almost all events take place in the postcard-charming place Saint Sulpice (6th arrondissement).

Paris Jazz Festival (June 6–July 26) This annual Jazz Festival provides a great excuse to laze about in the Parc Floral, part of the sprawling Bois de Vincennes. During two summer months, free concerts are held on the grand scène (big stage) every Saturday and Sunday at 3:00 and 4:30 p.m. Highlights in June include Robin Verheyen this Saturday, Cheick Tidiane Seck on June 14, Rita Marcotulli on June 20, and Joe Louis Walker on June 27 (check the full program here). Food and drinks are on sale inside the park, but most people bring their own stock of nibbles and wine. Entry to the Parc Floral is €2.50, but the concerts are all free. Take the Metro line 1 to Château de Vincennes and follow the crowds (Parc Floral, Esplanade de Chateau de Vincennes, 12th arrondissement).

Entrez dans la Danse (June 7) The sixth annual "come into the dance" festival will be putting on more than 75 free performances across the city, plus participatory dance workshops. Check out the online program here, or just stumble into any of the following locations from 11am to midnight and see what's shaking: le Centre d'Animation des Halles du Marais (6–8 place Carrée, Forum des Halles, 1st arrondissement), le Centre de Danse du Marais (41 rue du Temple, 4th arrondissement), Bercy Village (28 rue François Truffaut, 12th arrondissement), la Passerelle Simone de Beauvoir (bridge over the Seine in the 13th arrondissement), le Parc des Buttes Chaumont (19th arrondissement), Le Centquatre (104 rue d'Aubervilliers, 19th arrondissement) and the Parc de Belleville (20th arrondissement).

Fête de la Musique

Fête de la Musique (June 21) Launched in 1982 by the French Ministry for culture, this festival now takes place in more than 110 countries each year on the day of the summer solstice. In Paris, you'll find free concerts in parks, bars, restaurants, hospitals, and street corners… just about any sort of place you can imagine. Performances range in quality from pro to super-amateur—last year I was charmed by a group of 14 year-old French boys playing Pixies covers outside my local subway stop. There's a constantly-changing program online here, but my preferred strategy is just to wander and follow the noise.

La Defense Jazz Festival (June 12–28) Suburbanites will be flocking to these free concerts at la Defense, the futuristic commercial center just west of Paris (a few stops on the RER A). Luminaries include Eric Truffaz (electro jazz) on June 12, Beat Assailant (hip hop jazz) on the 24th, and Goran Bregovic (Balkan music) on the 28th. Most concerts take place outdoors on the Esplanade de la Defense, but consult the program online here.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Chartres is one of the most amazing churches in France, and can be reached on the regular suburban train lines (about 45 min.  It's amazing as it comes into view, especially spring or summer as it seems to rise from the cornfields.  You can see from the towers that the building campaign took a long time.  A major fire in 1194 seemed to have ruined Notre Dame de Chartres, along with its most famous relic -- supposedly the shift of the Virgin Mary.  Three days after the fire, monks emerged from the crypt carrying the shift, which had miraculously survived.  All viewed this as a sign that Mary wanted an even greater church built in her honor, and funds were raised throughout France. It has some of the oldest stained glass anywhere thanks to being designated a safe zone during WWII, and the colors of blue and red are especially dark. I'm also attaching an astrological clock and statue of the Virgin.100_3335_1.JPG100_3348_1.JPG100_3346_1.JPG100_3352_1.JPG100_3354_1.JPG100_3358_1.JPG

Hi Prof Chiara!

Those are beautiful pictures and you write truly as in conversation--I really enjoy anything you write. Sally and I will be going this summer to Berlin and staying at the Hotel am Steinplatz, a property Marriott acquired, restored etc....still working and enjoying it...........................Bill

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Have a wonderful time, Bill!  It's so good to have you back on the forum!

theolejudge,

Have a wonderful time in Berlin!

It is really a much "Underrated" destination than it deserves!  Try to get a private guide to show Sally and you around, at least for an afternoon.  You will want to visit "Check Point Charlie" and the Cold War "Bomb Shelter"!

Bill, have a wonderful trip!