3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2009 9:00 PM by superchief1 RSS

Using lowest points then ask for upgrade

navysafe Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I always book the room with lowest points, then ask for a room upgrade when I get there.  In the past it was never a problem, I would always get the upgrade for nothing.  Now they must have some kind of computer system that does not allow this.  They say I have to call Marriott and use more points for the upgrade.  Has anyone else experienced this?   Anyone figure out how to get around it?

• Re: Using lowest points then ask for upgrade
    flyingfinn Platinum
    That is the way to book.  I always book a standard room and the hotel has to give an upgrade if available.  That is what platinum status is all about.  If they refuse and ask you to use more points, call the platinum reservations number and have them take care of the problem.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Navy safe

Go for it every time, most associates at the front desk are given some leeway and will comp an upgrade from time to time. Mention any affiliation you've got (Navy?)--it never hurts, be nice, ask politely, mention something about the person (they normally have their hometown on their Marriott badge), an hope for the best.  It's not being tricky, just asking and hat works most of the time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

You may be experiencing the problem I had with the Hollywood Beach Marriott. The only awards ever available require an upgrade fee. There are no standard rooms available for awards. My communications from Marriott regarding this situation indicates they do not consider this to be a violation of their 'no blackout' policy. I think you will find that some hotels/ resorts have no 'standard rooms' available for awards for months at a time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...