18 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2015 5:39 PM by jamesdean RSS

Grandpa, what did you do during the Great Spam War of 2015?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well it was so long ago...

Armed only with my iPad I valiantly set forth trying to add my contribution to the Insiders debates, questions and discussions, with considered and careful replies, yet no sooner had a posted into the board than my contribution was washed away in the great tsunami of Spam.

I worked tirelessly and without pause, yet still those spammers came on. I wrote and typed, I thought and cajoled originality, yet all attempts were futile against the great tide of spam that overtook MRI during those fateful mid-May days.

Yet even at the darkest moments I knew that justice and democracy would prevail against the vile tidal wave of spam. As they washed over me again and again I was heartened in the knowledge that my fellow MR Insiders were beside me, fighting the good fight and keeping on keeping on. For our continued survival was to be the spammers defeat...

image.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Grandpa, what did you do during the Great Spam War of 2015?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Splendid work.

I did what all good Insiders would do with such a Spam Gate, enjoy another glass of wine.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I went back to sleep thinking it must be a bad dream.

The bad thing about this kind of spam is that it can't be made into musubi (kharada46 knows of what I speak ).

Well, my favourite recipe for Spam is Fritters... Yum!

joshm Member

This is so good, brightlybob.

Also, we're working to clean up the Spam brigade and keep such content from making it's way to the site. Clever little buggers, those spammers are.

Great to see the forces of good have triumphed over the darkness, again. I really don't understand what's in this for the spammers, though.

FIne, they can automate the spam posts but in order to register so they can post they have to join Marriott Rewards and that's got to take some time and effort to then simply spam the boards and dominate this site for just a few hours till they're kicked off and have to again form new identities and rejoin.

I understand the spam is posted by bots, but I'm assuming it's not possible for bots to join the site or open up a Marriott Rewards account, so someone has to do that, and for what?

I don't understand the purpose joshm. Do you know why they do it?

And there now follows a message from Her Majesty's Government of Great Britain, Her loyal Dominions and Empire:

image.jpg

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Insiders, thanks for your patience as I worked this out. I believe the spammers are under control at this point but I encourage you all to not click on or follow any of the spam-type posts that you see. I believe they are all in Korean. Thanks again!

superchief1 Platinum

Speaking of Spam and Grandpa, does this conversation remind anyone of the old Monty Python skit?

Well of course the use of the word "spam" as a monicker for unwanted internet discourse originates from the Monty Python sketch where despite the cafe customer stating her dislike of spam, every dish offers copious quantities of it. The cafe serves the spam, whether the customer likes it or not, and ignores any protestation to desist from serving spam!

For our entertainment during today's great tidal wave of spam. The Monty Python Spam sketch, from the 1970's series, "The flying circus".

A couple, Mr and Mrs Bun enter a greasy spoon cafe and approach the waitress at the counter.

Mr. Bun:Morning.

Waitress:Morning.

Mr. Bun:What have you got, then?

Waitress:Well there's egg and bacon; egg, sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg, bacon and spam; egg, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg and spam; spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam; or lobster thermidor aux crevettes, with a mornay sauce garnished with truffle paté, brandy and a fried egg on top and spam.

Mrs. Bun:Have you got anything without spam in it?

Waitress:Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.

Mrs. Bun:I don't want ANY spam.

Mr. Bun:Why can't she have egg, bacon, spam and sausage?

Mrs. Bun:That's got spam in it!

Mr. Bun:Not as much as spam, egg, sausage and spam.

Mrs. Bun:Look, could I have egg, bacon, spam and sausage, without the spam.

Waitress: Uuughhh!

Mrs Bun:What d'you mean, uugggh! I don't like spam.

Rest of cafe:(singing) Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam ... spam, spam, spam, spam ... lovely spam, wonderful spam ...

Waitress:Shut up. Shut up! Shut up! You can't have egg, bacon, spam and sausage without the spam.

Mrs. Bun:Why not?

Waitress:No, it wouldn't be egg, bacon, spam and sausage, would it?

Mrs. Bun:I don't like spam!

Mr. Bun:Don't make a fuss, dear. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam ...

Rest of cafe: (singing) Spam, spam, spam, spam ...

Mr. Bun:... baked beans, spam, spam and spam.

Waitress:Baked beans are off.

Mr. Bun:Well can I have spam instead?

Waitress:You mean spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam?

DDespite the Marriott Seals reclaiming the digital beaches the battle continues...

image.jpg

rb84 Platinum

I posted (or tried to post) to another thread and my post came up as "moderated". 18 hours later and .....nothing. So, the Spam wariors may be moderating but the wrong posts are getting blocked as I don't see mine and I see more Chinese/Korean posts this morning. Gotta wonder.

CariJ Marriott Associate Member

Hey rb84, thanks for letting us know. We are working to keep the spammers at bay, but also avoiding "real" Insiders' posts from being automatically moderated. Thank you for your patience, and let us know if this happens again.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...