Writing in CreditCard.com Coleen McCarthy says:
Hotel reward points can help you get more vacation for your money this year, especially if you take advantage of loyalty program incentives and partnerships between card companies, hotels, airlines and retailers.
A few tips for stretching those travel rewards:
1. Choose a credit card with hotel rewards that suit your needs.
2. Don't spread loyalty too thin.
3. Accrue rewards in a currency that works for you.
4. Beware of blackout policies.
5. Take advantage of the new mobility.
6. Use reward points when you need them most -- like now.