This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

72 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 5:30 PM by shoeman1000 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Announcing Elite Rollover Nights

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone,

We are very excited to announce something new we’re about to roll out -- Elite Rollover Nights!  In fact, we should be thanking you too since the idea was suggested to us via Marriott Rewards Insiders. 

This program will help you achieve – and increase – your Elite status.  With Elite Rollover Nights, after you’ve stayed enough nights to earn Elite status in 2009, we’ll roll over all additional nights to 2010. That means you can start earning next year’s status this year!

It’s the only rollover night enhancement we know of – anywhere.

Plus, to help you get a head start we are offering Double Nights. Between May 11 and June 26, every night you stay counts twice! If you’re not registered, you can sign up on Marriott.com.

More information is available at MarriottRewards.com/EliteRollover.

Best,

Heather

• Re: Announcing Elite Rollover Nights
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Heather,

I've already registered!  As an MVCI owner, I'm happy that the Marriott Vacation Club brand is included in this special offer to earn Double Nights towards qualifying for Elite status.  Getting a jumpstart on 2010 in 2009 with rollovers is a great idea and captured my attention!

At your convenience, please clarify if the Double Nights offer will be extended to MVCI owners who register and occupy at their home resort or another MVCI property during the promotional period.  The eligibility of MVCI owner occupied nights would be a HUGE boost to the the Marriott owner community.  The inclusion of owner nights will convey the importance of their loyalty to Marriott made evident by paying annual maintenance fees in a timely manner.  Owners have been asking for ways to qualify for Elite status and this offer is a great opportunity.  Piggy-backed on the 25th Anniversary celebration of MVCI makes for an even bigger story that will be received well by a community of loyal Marriott customers typically underserved by Marriott Rewards.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

TJCNewYork

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Mariott,

Great idea!

Am registered, and plan to be Platinum for 2010 by the end of THIS new program! 

Thanks! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Simply brilliant and well-timed as well.  Thanks for making Marriott Rewards even better!

mnnice Platinum

Thank you for listening and making this change! It looks like Marriott is trying to regain its leadership position in the industry's reward programs.

One additional thing you must have also heard many times is the request to make some adjustments to points already earned prior to the new redemption schedle. Those of us who have been highly loyal to Marriott and have accumulated many points would still like to see some adjustment in the value of those points when we want to redeem them.

In addition you also heard from MVCI owners that there should be an adjustment to the points received when trading their units for points.

Thanks again for listening and taking some good first steps. We are all anxiously awaiting to see what else Marriott will do to recognize your most loyal customers.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
    My concern here is now there will be many more Platinum and Gold Elite members resulting from these changes, thus diminishing the benefits of being a Platinum/Gold Member. The Treatment of Platinum/Gold members seems to have deteriorated and with many more could deteriorate even more. Let's hope not!!!

It would be nice if Marriott took into consideration the number of years we've been in the program as well as current status to determine benefits--a one year Platinum member gets the same treatment as a 12 year one does.

There must be a way to make sure the most frequent, longest loyal members can be given a little more?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi TJCNewYork,

MVCI owner occupied weeks, redemption stays, and ExecuStay nights are not eligible to earn promotional credit with the Double Nights promotion.

Best,

Heather

tjcnewyork Platinum

Heather

"MVCI owner occupied weeks are not eligible to earn promotional credit with the Double Nights promotion."

With the 25th Anniversary of Marriott Vacation Club International and the increased brand integration made evident by the inclusion of MVCI in Marriott Rewards, the ineligibility of MVCI owner-occupied nights represents a missed opportunity.  With over 400,000 owners with multiple weeks of Marriott timeshare, there is a strong business case to accelerate the Elite status of these owners and thereby leverage the relationship to cross-promote the value of Marriott vacation ownership, Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Rewards and the Marriott Premier Visa Signature Card.   

Should corporate proceed with excluding the MVCI brand in the promotion, then the language of the promotion needs to be updated to reflect this clearly.

Regards,

TJCNewYork 

flyingfinn Platinum
    Wonderful.  I suggested this idea awhile back as I'm others have.  Looking forward to this new enhancement.

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

Sounds Good, especially this year when some of us may not be travelling as much because of the Global Downturn. It will help me in staying loyal to Marriott when things are better too!

Also going to try and get to Platinum for the first time in a while...... actually may up spending more than I planned!

lesliepamel Platinum

Heather, your message re MVCI members not being awarded double nights for stays at MVCI properties only goes to show how in the last 18 months Marriott has truly become renowned as the meanest company in the world.

I invested a lot of my cash in the purchase of 10 weeks ownership, Marriott's failure to uprate MVCI owners with a greater number of points for the exchange of their time was the most dishonest thing I have ever seen. Now to treat them like second class guests and refuse to award them double nights is plain shocking. Is the Marriott board determined to take bottom place at next years Freddies? 

Marriott now represents the timeshare industry at its worst. Rip-off merchants that is. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Heather

I received the Elite Rollover Nights e-mail campaign below during my owner week at the Imperial Palm Villas in Orlando.  LesliePamel's comment, "Now to treat them like second class guests and refuse to award them double nights is plain shocking," parallels my statement about the need for tighter brand integration between Marriott Vacation Club offerings and Marriott Rewards.  

Elite Rollover Nights and double nights is highly innovative in terms of frequent guest programs. Why not extend this benefit to the most loyal to Marriott having signed a contract to be lifetime vacation owners in Marriott Vacation Club?  Sending an owner-personalized Elite Rollover Nights e-mail to 400,000 plus Marriott Vacation Club owners will enlarge Marriott's loyal base and create an extremely positive 'word of mouth' campaign.  That, in and of itself is the business case.  The value proposition can be measured in the number of paid nights that owners will book as a response. 

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/EliteRolloverNights.jpg     

kahunapremier Platinum

Finally!!!! This is something that was on the books for a while and good feedback from marriott members. A couple of things Heather to take back to management for improvements.

1. Stronger MVCI branding. This is Marriott's weakest link in your brand. Somehow, those MVCI owners seem to be getting the short stick, when they put up the most money. They seem to be the most loyal and should be rewarded accordingly.

I will say this, over the past few years I have turned down becoming an MVCI owner because of the treatment from Marriott management. I do believe, and this is my observation that Wyhdam brands of ownership is much stronger than Marriott.

2. Marriott really needs to hoot it's horn for the Freddies they have won since inception. Historical views shows consistancy and will downplay your competition. In fact, I would like to know what Marriott has won in what categories and then put that on a link on marriott.com

3. Elite Rollover Nights clarification, as I understand it silver, gold and Platinum breakout nights are 10, 50 and 75. What about PP members? Is Marriott saying that PP members only need to stay 75 nights and that they are back at PP status or is there a higher night stay/year for PP status? If so, what is that yearly stay, night/year.

Congrats are in order for the 2009 Freddies, but a tweak in the system will just improve Marriott Rewards and will allow more freddies in 2010.

My Platinum Premier rollover night email indicated 100 nights was required to renew, a drop from last years 125, and three overs over that--but this may be a one time thing due to the economy?

vpplayer Platinum

LesliePamel said:

I invested a lot of my cash in the purchase of 10 weeks ownership, Marriott's failure to uprate MVCI owners with a greater number of points for the exchange of their time was the most dishonest thing I have ever seen. Now to treat them like second class guests and refuse to award them double nights is plain shocking. Is the Marriott board determined to take bottom place at next years Freddies? 

Marriott now represents the timeshare industry at its worst. Rip-off merchants that is.

I was originally going to chide Leslie for using the words "investment" and "timeshare" in the same sentence, because that is a very naive expectation. I am sure someone has somehow profited on a sale but I've never met her/him.

Then I remembered that yup it has been the fleet of MVCI sales representatives (and still is!!!) that tout the "trade value" of MVCI for points in the sales pitch.  In early April at our Ko Olina week, we participated in another sales pitch (motivation: free whale wtching cruise) and sure enough out comes reason #3 to buy:  trade for points! - believe it or not the sales rep argued with me claiming the 15 Jan change in the MR program DID NOT REDUCE THE TRADE VALUE.  So I politely asked him to demonstrate that to me and of course he couldn't in the face of real numbers and facts, and finally admitted it to me that is indeed a depreciation.

There are a couple of things that one can glean from all of this -- these are my opinions - yours may vary: 

1) Timeshare is not an investment if points exchange is one's goal.  Timeshare is a lifestyle decision. Timeshare week is real property (at US MVCI properties anyway, maybe not foreign properties), while points have no intrinsic value whatsoever. NONE.  Also for me, I have too many points so I have never had any desire to exchange for points.  Again YMMV.

2) The MVCI sales reps are still using points as a strong selling point.  Which likely means Marriott corporate is still telling them to. This is where Leslie and many others have hit the nail on the head.  It is deceiving at least and in my opinion very unethical not to keep the trade value for a week in line with changes in the MR program (i.e., increased points for redemption which will continue to occur with inflation).  That's the real problem, not whether or not MVCI stay gets you double points of not.

3)  Marriott is trying to play both sides by tying in the MR system with MVCI but only when it is to their advantage.   I would have no problem with that either, as long as they were forthcoming about it.  They clearly are not.

Will Marriott get hit in the Freddies?  I doubt it.  The MR system is still a very good one, and many (most?) members do not even know about the MVCI dilemma.  Nor would they care.  We who do our research and are in the know are a minority.  We will always optimise the redemption side of the program.  Marriott will even sometimes listen to us. But to think we drive their business model is again, naive.

Sorry to ramble.

lesliepamel Platinum

VPP Player, Thanks for that full and very interesting reply. When I said INVESTMENT I should have made it clear that it was an investment in future HOLIDAYS that I was speaking of, and NOT a financial investment.

Even so as an investment in holidays.... that no longer applies to Marriott Timeshare. I had planned future visits to Marriott hotels at Rome, Warsaw,Copenhagen, London, Paris, Costa Rica, River-walk@ Texas, and San Janerio. However with the lousy return on MR points such things ain't going to happen. Just 20 or so boring MVCI resorts, and I'm afraid I've been to them all and got the T shirt.  

tjcnewyork Platinum

VPPlayer:

"Will Marriott get hit in the Freddies?" 

Marriott overshadows the competition when it comes to earning rewards and took home 9 Freddies including the Freddie for Best Program (1st AGAIN-Best Program, Best Web Site, Best Customer Service).  BUT, Hilton took home the Freddie for Best Award Redemption and Marriott came in NOT 2nd but 3rd (Hilton Honors 1st in Awards).*

InsideFlyer.com's Randy Petersen summed it up well, "If award redemption is easy, you have a very happy program member.  If it's difficult, call out the National Guard, you might need some help.  If there's one thing that irks frequent travelers the most, it's the unavailability of awards--and the hassles of redeeming them.  We've learned that it's not just about making seats and rooms available, it's also about the process. Does it require members to jump through hoops to get an award? We never said that award redemption would be easy, but some programs make it easier than others.  Voters were asked to vote on the program that makes award redemption the most user-friendly--can you get the award you want when you want it?" *   

"Elite Rollover Nights" doesn't take away the hoops, it only intensifies awareness that they exist - especially to Marriott Vacation Club owners.  From that standpoint,  Who's being naive? 

With the recent 25th Anniversary of Marriott Vacation Club, there are now 64 vacation club resorts and 400,000+ owners with multiple weeks.  LesliePamel's 10 weeks is equivalent to 70 nights - and that is not even factoring in lockout unit weeks.  To exclude 400,000 owners from earning double nights during what is a very short promotional period is simply outrageous.  With the hoops that owners have to jump through to occupy, it's highly unlikely that many will be able to take advantage of the promotion.  This adds insult to the injury of being excluded.  

Allowing Marriott Vacation Club owners to enjoy the same benefits with Elite Rollover Nights and Double Nights is NOT about changing Marriott's business model.  Rather, it's about tightening-up the brand integration that will strengthen the Marriott business model.  We MVCI owners work extremely hard to pay our annual maintenance fees on-time.  So, we have very high expectations that Marriott will 'jump through hoops' to reward the lifetime loyalty achieved with Marriott vacation ownership. 

* Freddie Awards 

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    Did I read this correct, you own 10 weeks? My Lord, at an average of $1000 a year for maintenance fees that must cost a fortune. I love my MVCI membership, but hate just my single maintenance fee.

lesliepamel Platinum

Well there you go Mikieg! I first purchased two weeks back in 1986. The attraction then was Reward Points. The Reward awards then were fantastic, compared to today*. I always realised that MRP could be terminated, but I never new they would never be inflation proofed. This lack of inflation proofing means today any MRP awards are now worth less than the rental value of the MVCI ownership. Overtime I went on to accquire more time because of the MRP attraction, which Marriott used very heavily too sell timeshare. I had some wonderful vacations, mixing Hotels, MVCI resorts and air flights-but unfortunatlely that is all now history. I never used to mind the maintenance, but now I feel sick on payment day, because Marriott ripped me off. I would like to sell my weeks, however I think that overtime it will be best to keep them. Even though there are only 20 tired resorts to visit-I don't enjoy golf,nor skiing, and I don't like theme parks, so half of MVCI resorts don't excite me greatly!

* 1986 AWARD: 240,000 points = 10nights in an hotel, 2 transatlantic air fares, a weeks FREE hertz rental car, 50% of two dinners at a Marriott hotel, and should you want it, 50% off a cruise.

That has to be better than 10 nights in a Courtyard!

Keep smiling -Happy May day. 

vpplayer Platinum

LesliePatel said:

VPP Player, Thanks for that full and very interesting reply. When I said INVESTMENT I should have made it clear that it was an investment in future HOLIDAYS that I was speaking of, and NOT a financial investment.

Copy that, and in that context, "investment" is perfectly appropriate.   In spite of my pessimistic outlook, i do hope MR/MVCI will do the right thing and realign MVCI point redemptions appropriately.  As I experienced in Ko Olina (and earlier this year in Oceana Palms and Marco Island), the sales pitch is still heavy on points redemption, even after all of the negative feedback as seen on these forums (and on flyertalk) which no doubt they do read, yet MR is very quiet on the subject, which gives me little hope or indication that they will do anything about it.

vpplayer Platinum

TJCNewYork said:

"Elite Rollover Nights" doesn't take away the hoops, it only intensifies awareness that they exist - especially to Marriott Vacation Club owners.  From that standpoint,  Who's being naive? 

...With the hoops that owners have to jump through to occupy, it's highly unlikely that many will be able to take advantage of the promotion.  This adds insult to the injury of being excluded. 

...We MVCI owners work extremely hard to pay our annual maintenance fees on-time.  So, we have very high expectations that Marriott will 'jump through hoops' to reward the lifetime loyalty achieved with Marriott vacation ownership. 

I agree with your sentiments and your position.  What I question is will the outcry from MVCI owners be enough to sway Marriott to meet that expectation when (if?) they choose to re-evaluate the program.  I just don't think its going to happen, at least for the rollover / double nights promotion.

If I am wrong, I will be pleased to admit i was "naive". I'd also like  Heather to comment with insight on this subject

I feel your pain. I purchased mine in 1993 and remember all to well the sales talk when I was told that in the event that I didn't want to occupy my week, I could simply redeem for points which would be good for 7 days at any Marriott hotel worldwide, and back then it was absolutely true.

Looking at a 1989 award schedule I still have, I see that for 110k points I was able to get 7 days hotel plus 1 system-wide, roundtrip ticket on a half dozen airlines plus a car rental. My how times have changed. People here talk about a 60% reduction in benefits, compared to the program back then, it's more like 90%.

tjcnewyork Platinum

VPPlayer: 

"will the outcry from MVCI owners be enough to sway Marriott to meet that expectation when (if?) they choose to re-evaluate the program.  I just don't think its going to happen, at least for the rollover / double nights promotion."

Low expectations are self-defeating (but understood). Positive results depend upon Marriott.  Ed French and his crew can reach out to David Babich's team to tighten up the brand integration and develop the cross-promotional strategies that improve customer experience making it very advantageous for business travelers to consider vacation ownership and for vacation owners to consider extending leisure travel at Marriott hotels/resorts.    

MVCI nights are already being counted towards qualifying for Elite since last year; and many owners  have been upgraded to Silver, Gold and Platinum Elite. They are receiving promotional e-mail and the letter recently sent by Ed French*.  Ed French's partners on Marriott's Communications team recently received the Freddie Award for Best Member Communications** - so owner awareness is definitely on the upswing.

Like hotel rates, MVCI owner maintenance fees go up every year.  An average maintenance fee of $1,000 per week at 10 points/dollar is 10,000 points. Opting to Trade for Points, owners receive from 80,000 to 125,000 points per week depending upon the villa, view, resort and season. 

Points are not inflation proof (as LesliePamel observes), but the conversion ratio still favors Marriott vacation ownership as the BEST value.  For Marriott owners to receive Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights tightens the brand integration, increases the value proposition and strengthens the overall business model.  Everybody wins and guest loyalty achieves a new level.

It's not up to the owners to cry out, it's up to Marriott to wake up!

* Letter to Platinum Elites from Ed French

** 1st AGAIN-Best Program, Best Web Site, Best Customer Service

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

"People here talk about a 60% reduction in benefits, compared to the program back then, it's more like 90%."

Good point. How does this tie back to Elite Rollover Nights and Double Nights?

Mikieg

"People here talk about a 60% reduction in benefits, compared to the program back then, it's more like 90%."

Good point. How does this tie back to Elite Rollover Nights and Double Nights?

I was replying to LesliePatel's posting from May 5, 2009 8:00pm

lesliepamel Platinum
    But if you compare the awards to the 1987 entry level,(110,000) points must have devalued 150%! There is a holiday company in Europe called HOLIDAY PROPERTY BOND, This basically works that you invest £10,000 (or other amount - your choice) and you get 10,000 points to exchange for holidays. Depending on the seasons and the locations holidays can 'cost' between 3000 points and 19,000 points. But this company tops Marriott because if the holidays generally have a 5% point raise, then every existing member gets a 5% raise in their point level to spend on their holidays. IE NO LOSS for existing memebrs. You don't buy now and get an apartment in the south of France in Summer, only to see that in 20 years or so your points can only get you 4 days at Bournemouth  in the winter! (UK) I reckon Marriott points for mvci owners should be raised from 110 k to 220k ???

tjcnewyork Platinum

LesliePamel:

"I reckon Marriott points for mvci owners should be raised from 110 k to 220k"

I am already on-record stating my agreement favoring tighter brand integration between MVCI and Marriott Rewards, but do not agree that setting a higher Trade-for-Points threshold for MVCI properties is a workable brand integration strategy.

Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights is about accelerating attainment of Marriott Rewards Elite status.  The more nights you stay, the faster you'll get to Silver, Gold or Platinum.  The sooner you'll be able to earn 20%, 25% or 50% bonuses on base points.  The sooner you'll qualify for complimentary upgrades and Concierge.

Doubling owner points won't get you there, doubling owner nights will.  Staying on point with the purpose of this thread, I would like to see MVCI owner nights made eligible for earning Double Nights.  For even tighter brand integration, I would like to see Marriott Vacation Club participation in No Blackout Dates.  W/o a No Blackout Dates policy on MVCI, redeeming points for nights at Marriott Vacation Club will be an excercise in futility no matter how many points you have to burn.

I agree with TJCNewYork. There's no way Marriott is going to double the points that granted to MVCI owners.

• Re: Announcing Elite Rollover Nights--Unfair
    lyonswife Platinum

Hello!  I am a Platinum member who has been a loyal Marriott Rewards member for 3 years and a customer for longer than that.  I just found out that the policy where Marriott rolls over nights is what I would consider unfair to Gold and Platinum members.  Basically, a Silver member starts having their nights rolled over to next year once they earn 10 nights.  However, Gold and Platinum members start having nights rolled over once they reach 50 and 75 nights.  So I spend many, many more thousands of dollars this year and drive just a little farther out of my way (just to stay at a Marriott), but I could potentially get no nights rolled over just because of my status from last year? 

This makes no sense to me in terms of Marriott's loyalty to it's most loyal customers. If someone is able to explain it to me, I would really appreciate it.

Have a great day!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Lyonswife:

First of all, thank you for posting.  Your continued participation is welcome and appreciated.

"I just found out that the policy where Marriott rolls over nights is what I would consider unfair to Gold and Platinum members."

Coupled with the Double Nights promotion, Elite Rollover Nights has sparked discussion here and elsewhere on the web. Misinformation may lead to incorrect conclusions, but my hunch is that you're insights pinpoint a concern.    

"Basically, a Silver member starts having their nights rolled over to next year once they earn 10 nights.  However, Gold and Platinum members start having nights rolled over once they reach 50 and 75 nights."

This is correct.  Instead of resetting the counter to zero, Marriott Rewards is allowing nights over-and-above the qualifying nights to carry over.  It's the Elite FastTrack so-to-speak.

"So I spend many, many more thousands of dollars this year and drive just a little farther out of my way (just to stay at a Marriott), but I could potentially get no nights rolled over just because of my status from last year?" 

Factoring in the state of economy, it's very conceiveable that many will be unable to qualify for their current Elite status.  Let's say a Platinum Elite manages to stay 51 nights in 2009.  Would Marriott Rewards requalify the member as Gold Elite, and stretch the rollover policy so that 1 night rolls into 2010? 

From the standpoint of loyalty, recognizing the 51 nights in a positive way merits consideration.  I can understand how losing even 1 night would feel like a double whammy - especially if Platinum Elite status is lost. 

This is a valid concern, IMO. Does anyone feel the same way?  I wonder what Marriott Rewards thinks, too.

lyonswife Platinum

Hello TJCNewYork!

You hit on my concern exactly:  Due to the economy, I cannot afford to reach Platinum last year... I'd actually stretched our budget last year to stay the extra few nights, just to reach Platinum.  I'd not considered the idea that you wrote, but I like it.  I would feel like the program was a little fairer if those Platinum or Gold members that do not reach Platinum or Gold by the end of this year had the days above 10 or 50 rolled over to next year.  (ie If a Platinum member this year earned 51 nights, they'd at least get one night rolled over to next year.)

In terms of this being a fast track to being an Elite, it's really only a fast track for those who are currently Silver to be Gold or Platinum next year.  But I disagree about it being fast track for those who are already Gold or Platinum.

Thanks very much for your response!

Have a great day!

nycuws10025 Platinum

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion that the rollover nights program benefits Silver and Gold but not Platinum?

If there are specifics of how this is going to work, I know I haven't seen them.  But I didn't see anything which says that any of the current elements of the MR program are being eliminated.  By understanding of how the previous program worked and then trying to overlay the Rollover nights aspect in the least complicated way:

• If a 2009 PE earns 85 nights in 2009, he will be PE in 2010 with 10 nights rolled over to start off 2010 - he only needs to earn 65 nights in 2010 to be PE in 2011.  or 40 nights earned in 2010 to be GE in 2011.  And, since 10 nights were rolled over, he would automatically be qualified as SE in 2011 - even if he didn't earn anything in 2010
    • If a 2009 PE only earns 51 nights in 2009, he will be GE in 2010 with one night rolled over to start off 2010
    • If a 2009 GE earns 55 nights in 2009, he will be GE in 2010 with 5 nights rolled over to start off 2010 toward his 2011 Elite status
    • If a 2009 GE only earns 45 nights in 2009, he will be SE in 2010 with 35 nights rolled over to start off 2010

Therefore, a PE is still able to rollover any excess nights from the current year to the next year, thus minimizing the required earnings for the following year.  The benefit appears to work the same for members at all Elite status levels. 

About the only difference I can see is that a PE can't roll these benefits over toward achieving a higher Elite level the following year since there isn't a higher level. (I acknowledge a Premier PE level which has been mentioned elsewhere in Marriott Insiders, but does not appear to be an official part of the program - so I don't know how that works.)

For 2009 stays affecting 2010 Elite status, we may see people who lose Elite status as nothing was announced that Rollover nights would work retroactively (i.e. excess 2008 nights are most likely not being added to our 2009 earnings).  So since Rollver nights was not announced as a retroactive program, we should expect that our 2010 Elite standings will be based on what we earn in 2009.  If we fall short of the required thresholds in 2009, we won't have the benefit of 2008 rollovers to help us.  That would change in the 2010 *earning* year since any excess 2009 nights will be in the 2010 "earnings" on day one of the new year.

I think this is perhaps why Marriott might have set up the double nights status - to soften the sting of there being no benefit from Rollover nights until the 2010 earning year.

Last, for those who anticipate challenges meeting the 2009 threshold levels toward renewing 2010 Elite status, I recommend that you consider the Marriott Signature Visa card.  The $65 annual fee is well worth the 15 equivalent nights it provides even if you don't use it for anything else.  Therefore, with that card you are automatically qualified at the SE level, you only need to earn 35 nights to reach Gold and only need 60 nights to reach Platinum.

Warmest regards to all

nycuws10025

romans Silver
    This is good info.  I am new to Marriott Platinum and honestly am trying to figure out what I do get?  So far it seems like the prices are higher when I book through my platinum profile and I seem to get little in the way of deals and recognition for my loyalty.  Being upgraded to a suite when you pay more to begin with seems like a "non-reward."  I am beginning to think I must be out of the loop on the great deal "office memos."  You seem to have a handle on the benefits, any tips for a new Elite?

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings NYCUWS10025

"I'm not sure I understand the suggestion that the rollover nights program benefits Silver and Gold but not Platinum?"

Not sure which suggestion you're referring to, on a hunch is it Lyonswife's 6/3 statement, "I disagree about it being fast track for those who are already Gold or Platinum."?

Your statement, "a PE is still able to rollover any excess nights from the current year to the next year, thus minimizing the required earnings for the following year.  The benefit appears to work the same for members at all Elite status levels," agrees with my understanding.  Since several Platinum Premier members have acknowledged receiving letters stating a 100 night requirement to maintain their status, Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights does work for all members at all Elite status levels.  We stand shoulder-to-shoulder in agreement.  The promotion offers a great benefit for members and does soothe some of the 'sting' of sticker shock.

Thanks, by the way, for the reminder about the Marriott Visa Signature Card.  Spending $65 to earn 15 nights and all of the benefits that come with retaining Platinum Elite status is a value.

lyonswife Platinum

Hello NYCUWS10025!

Thanks for the info.  I definitely did not understand it that way when I sent an email to Marriott Rewards to ask the question.  The way the Marriott rep explained it to me was that if you're a Platinum member, you do not start getting points rolled over until you reach 76 nights; so if I only get 35 nights this year, I get no nights rolled over, since I'm a Plat mbr (but if I was a Silver member, I'd get 25 nights rolled over).  The way you explain it indicates that I would get nights rolled over, even if I only obtain 35 nights this year.  

I hope you're right!  Do you work for Marriott?

Thanks!

nycuws10025 Platinum

Forgive me my "twofer" reply to two posts from 04JUN, those made by Romans and TJCNewYork

Romans,

Welcome to the PE level.  Once you learn how to work the system, the frustration I sense in your post will disappear.  The benefits granted to M's PE guests make the program well worth it.

My question would be: How did you book your rooms BEFORE you reached the PE level?  The only time I found myself charged a higher rate was on those occasions when I exercised the PE guaranteed room reservation benefit at a hotel that was otherwise sold out to non-PE guests.  In that case, I paid full rack rate for my room as there were no discount rates available because the hotel was sold out.

I would suggest you try booking your Marriott rooms though whatever your previous channels were and THEN add your MR number to the reservation.  Maybe that would help?

My job changed about 9 years ago eliminating all company-paid travel for me.  Since then, I have maintained PE status completely on my own dime and all with leisure travel.  I assure you that inexpensive rooms CAN be found even at the PE level.  I'm living proof! 

Be assured that after 15 years as a PE, I have this worked out to a science.  If there are specific questions, I'm at your service. 

TJCNewYork,

I'm sorry that my post didn't fully reference the post to which I was replying.  Yes, I was replying to Lyonswife's post of 03JUN.  I interpreted that post as meaning that if a PE didn't requalify at the PE level in 2009 that for 2010 it was either PE or NOTHING. 

Thus my reply that I didn't see that any element of the old program was being retired, only that unneeded nights would be rolled to the next year.  So I have guessed that if one doesn't make PE, but meets the GE threshold, he/she will renew at Gold and roll anything in excess of what was needed to reach GE to the next year.  I hope that's correct, but I'm sure communication will come from MR to tell us the specific details of how this new program/benefit will work.

I think MR would have a MAJOR insurrection on their hands if they tried a "PE or Nothing" approach as I interpretted Lyonswife's post.  With all due respect to L, I certainly hope those concerns are unfounded, but I agree it is a concern which our posting here will telegraph to those folks at M who make such decisions.

I'm sure you saw that I qualified my answer on the PP level!  :-)  I don't know anything, nor can I find anything about this elite level, so I can't surmise how Rollover Nights will work in conjuction with it. 

Elsewhere in Marriott Insider there is commentary from another member that PP only requires 75 nights to renew.  But with it being an apparently unpublished reward level, who knows for sure?

I'm not sure I fully understand the benefits to M of an "unpublished" recognition level like the PE program.  Had I known about it and what was needed to attain it, who knows? maybe I would have reached it!   I have had my own version of Rollover Nights for years - it's called Starwood Preferred Guest:  when I knew I had hit the 75 nights for M PE, I simply switched to SPG stays to maintain my status there.  Those night could/would have been Marriott's had I known. about PP.  Too bad for Marriott, huh?

Yeah, despite my love/hate relationship with Chase, I will not dispute the MR benefits of the MR Signature Visa card and recommend it highly - particularly now that the crappy economy is making it tough for us to re-up at our current elite levels.

Totally off-topic for this thread, but if anyone can share info about Platinum Emeritus status, I would appreciate it.  I had a gut feeling that I was getting close to meeting all thresholds for that so I wrote to Customer Care and they confirmed that I've hit the points, nights and duration requirements - several months ago, apparently.  I was told there was nothing I needed to do - that it was automatic.  But other than the email  reply to my inquiry confirming that I hit all the thresholds, nothing else has happened.

Hoping all my fellow MR Insiders have a wonderful weekend.

NYCUWS10025

tjcnewyork Platinum

NYCUWS10025

"there is commentary from another member that PP only requires 75 nights to renew.  who knows for sure?"

See Re: Letter to Platinum Elites from Ed French

"Totally off-topic for this thread, but if anyone can share info about Platinum Emeritus status, I would appreciate it. "

See Emeritus (Lifetime) Status Explained

Platinum Premier is a floating designation applied at HQ, and depending on the staying frequency has varied from 125 to 100 nights for three consecutive years. I made it last year and this year but alas most likely will not this year (darn that WEBEX!). Only difference is a special number to call and at some hotels, there is a real difference in treatment--for example, at the hotel at which I stay most frequently I have 100% success getting a suite, even when the hotel is 100% full!

Thanks for the post on rollovers -- very well done 

tjcnewyork Platinum

The Double Nights promotion period ended Friday, June 26 and my Account Activity makes evident that single nights resumed June 27.

I was hoping to rack up more bonus nights, but fell short of my goal, darn economy.  Was Double Nights a great promotion or what?  Do it again, Marriott!   

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

I think this was one of Marriotts best promotions as it gave me the opportunity to rack up more nights towards Platinum for next year, which as a leisure traveller and not a business one, is hard for me to achieve 75 paid nights in a year.

My only problem that I was hospitalized twice during the promotion and had to cancel several stays including a week long one in New York and Florida which would have already taken me over my 75 nights, alas, now I have to continue to work hard to get to 75 nights. So.......for me, I would personally love Marriott to start this promotion again!

I think double nights should be tried again around the holidays (end of year) when everyone is worrying about their making or not making their levels.  recall that you can buy into your level with points for one time, on year.  About 35-40,000 points will continue a Platinum level if you've made Gold this year.  Don't know about the other level's reequirement for points.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Considering that RevPAR was seriously down in the 1st Qtr, Double Nights combined with the 20% Global Rate Break was Marriott's ace-in-the-hole strategy. 

Introduced post-tax season, the tax refund provided extra cash to splurge on weekend getaways.  Marriott's win-win strategy will hopefully be reflected in the 2nd Quarter financials to be announced July 16th.

Keeping in mind that corporate travel has yet to recover, Marriott has a fairly significant gap to close. Waiting until the end of the year - as you suggest - to incent travel - business or leisure - may not achieve the desired revenue objectives, eh? 

I anticipate a much different scenario.  With lessons learned in the 2nd Qtr, Marriott will introduce yet another great combination of promotions immediately after July 16th.

According to the financials released last April, Marriott added 53 new properties or 8,814 rooms to it's worldwide portfolio in the 1st Qtr 2009.*  It's in Marriott's best interests to combine Double Nights with new offers ~now~. Why wait until the end of the year?

* See p2, Marriott International Reports First Quarter Results

lyonswife Platinum
    Agreed!  Double nights encourages my friends and I to take the extra few trips to make the extra nights... especially at the end of the summer.  :)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Lyonswife

Here's a quote from Bill Marriott about the 2nd Quarter results released earlier today.  He acknowledges "Quick-To-Market Revenue Generation Initiatives" many of which Insiders welcomed and cheered including Elite Rollover Nights plus Double Nights.   

"Across the enterprise our lodging brands continue to show significant REVPAR premiums as our teams launch quick-to-market and focused revenue generation initiatives. Our timeshare business rolled out a successful 25(th) Anniversary stimulus promotion in the second quarter, which significantly improved timeshare contract sales compared to first quarter levels, while significant cost reductions helped the bottom line. We expect timeshare to deliver positive cash flow in 2009."

Let's keep our hopes up.  I'm looking forward to writing a note, 'Hooray for Double Nights!'

rcrodgersjr Platinum

How can we tell how many nights will be rolled over? I made Platinum Elite Status for 2009 back in May and have nights posted since then over and above the required nights showing on my account but there is no indication that these nights will be counted towards 2010. When I called the Platinum Rewards line and inquired I was told that there was NO such program in existence because it ended with the end of the double nights promotion. Clearly I was given the wrong information and it seems that there is a new influx of people there that are not as helpful as the previous people used to be but giving out incorrect information is just unexceptable.

One gentleman actually acused me of trying to duplicate nights after I called to inquire about a missing night stay in the 3 Courtyard nights for 10,000 points promotion. He quickly backed down when I called him on that but it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Some clarity on this rollover program would really help here.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

rcrodgersjr -- para 2 of the Marriott letter above pretty well answers your question. 

"With Elite Rollover Nights, after you’ve stayed enough nights to earn Elite status in 2009, we’ll roll over all additional nights to 2010."

rcrodgersjr Platinum

It really doesn't unfortunately. I'm asking about a mechanism very much like the indicator that we have telling us how many nights we have stayed and nights left to go. It could say that you have X number of nights that will be rolled over to 2010.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, the number of nights that will be included in rollover should be right there in your number of nights stayed.  In my case, a 12-day stay in Rome gave me 24 nights toward my total, so if you're gold anything listed in your stays over 50 should roller and Platinum anything over 75 by the end of 2009.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, the number of nights that will be included in rollover should be right there in your number of nights stayed.  In my case, a 12-day stay in Rome gave me 24 nights toward my total, so if you're gold anything listed in your stays over 50 should rollover and Platinum anything over 75 by the end of 2009.

Sounds simple enough and if I had the time I could program that in (but I don't).  Good suggestion.

klaus29 Silver

ONE QUESTION  MISTERX IS GOLD MEMBER TODAY

BUT  HE WANT GO PLATIUM MEMBER NEXT YEAR

HE HAVE ALREDY 80 NIGHTS.

WHEN I LOOK GOOD THE NEW ROLOVER PROGRAM

WHEN YOU GOLD MEMBER AFTER 50 NIGHTS  ALL NIGHTS

MORE  FOR MISTER X IS 30 NIGHTS WILL BE CREDITET

TO 2010.  HOW HE CAN GO PLATIUM MEMBER WHEN THE

30 NIGHTS ARE CREDITET TO 2010.

THANK YOU FOR YOU ANSWER

EXUSE MY POOR ENGLISCH PLEASE

-- Edited by KLAUS29 at 09/11/2009 5:01 PM PDT

rcrodgersjr -- your profile shows you're already platinum, therefore any nights at the end of 2009 in excess of 75, roll over into 2010 to put you that much closer to renewing your platinum status.  Otherwise, based on the responses so far, I'm not sure any of the responders are sure what your question actually is.

tjcnewyork Platinum

RC,

Looking at your question/comments another way, my take-away is a suggestion for an additional heading for tracking roll-over nights.  Actually, it's a very good idea. Currently, the generic MyAccount page has the following headings/sub-headings:

• Account at a Glance
    • Name
    • Balance
    • Elite Membership Level
    • Nights this Year
    • Next Reservation
    • Last Recorded Transaction
    • Dream Rewards Tracker
    • Promotion Status

Elite Rollover Nights was launched as a promotion, but since the promotion ended, there is really no point of reference.  As a solution, perhaps a new sub-heading make sense:

• Account at a Glance
    • Name
    • Balance
    • Elite Membership Level
    • Nights this Year
    • Elite Rollover Nights
    • Next Reservation
    • Last Recorded Transaction
    • Dream Rewards Tracker
    • Promotion Status

An 'Elite Rollover Nights' section provides added clarity.  A succinct paragraph could recap the terms and point to a URL with reference info. The business value of this approach is an active reminder that nights continue to rollover giving MR members incentive to stay more.

Admittedly, the suggestion presumes - perhaps erroneously - that Marriott Rewards intends to continue Elite Rollover Nights.  Perhaps - as Stepping Stones has suggested, this topic might be a great subject for a new survey?

Do Elite Rollover Nights compel you to stay more at Marriott?

Yes

No

tjcnewyork Platinum

Klaus 29

With no intent to offend, kindly note that using UPPERCASE letters is like SHOUTING online. 

Regards your question, if a Gold Elite member reaches 75 nights then he/she will qualify for Platinum.  However, it is my understanding that if the Gold member reaches 73 nights, then 23 nights will rollover towards requalifying for Gold the following year.

rcrodgersjr Platinum

That's exaxtly it TJC! After speaking to customer service and being told that there was no roll over program, this would ensure that the nights would count toward 2010.

klaus29 Silver

tjc new york

i mean when mister x have 80 nights.normaly good

for go platium member nexst year. but when the 30

nights a creditet for 2010  mister x stay gold member.

thank you for your answer  and all exuses i dont want schut

here nobady

• Re: Announcing Elite Rollover program
    klaus29 Silver

silver member nights in exxes of 10

gold member nights in exxes of 50

platium member nights in exxes of 75

you need to do anything. extra nights

will be postet automically to your 2010

account.

thats means you can start earning next

year s status  this year

extrait  from the rolover nights program

tjcnewyork Platinum

ALL,

I'm certain that nearly a thousand views of this discussion ensures the popularlity and relevance of Elite Rollover Nights to Marriott Rewards members.  Plus, I am very confident that as soon as the promotion was launched, there were immediate results.  In fact, this was communicated in the 2nd Qtr Earnings Report by Bill Marriott himself.

So, in order to make it worthwhile for Marriott to update the MyMarriottRewardsAccount webpage, let's hear from all you Insiders whether or not RC's suggestion is a good one or not.  Plus, we need confirmation from Marriott that Elite Rollover Nights will be a new feature of the Marriott Rewards program.

Marriott did receive the 1st place award in the Freddies for Best Web Site.  The addition of this feature to MyMarriottRewardsAccount webpage has incredible business value because members will appreciate that the feature is being added for their benefit. 

It's a win-win.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

What a deal!

TJCNEWYork -- let me see if I can add to my confusion...

You wrote, "Elite Rollover Nights was launched as a promotion, but since the promotion ended, there is really no point of reference."

When did the rollover night promo end?  The original announcement states, "With Elite Rollover Nights, after you’ve stayed enough nights to earn Elite status in 2009, we’ll roll over all additional nights to 2010."

So, in our case, all nights stayed during 2009 exceeding 75 will roll over towards  platinum status next...i.e., I have 125 nights now, so already have 50 nights towards platinum come January.

Am I off track?  Thanks.

klaus29 Silver

nuhusker

in my anderstanding you alredy platium member for

2010 with 50 nights alredy in your account  25 nights

more you will be platium member in 2011

that's right.

rollover nights are still being added when you've topped 75 and will be until December 31st 2009, from what I hear.  Will it be repeated? Jury's still out on that one.

Maybe if we all ask?

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker

What I meant by my statement was that the Double Nights component of Elite Rollover Nights promotion ended as of June 2nd.  Prior to June 2nd, there was a way to track progress online aka a point of reference to know where you are.  The suggestion to add a section to MyMarriottRewardsAccount is to provide clarity about how many nights are going to rollover and the T&C that apply. 

To Stepping Stones comment, it would help if everyone asks that Elite Rollover Nights be made permanent.

Let's get together and write Marriott about rollover nights!  I am doing it right now.

jjulian Platinum

Heather,

Can you please answer a question concerning the Elite Rollover program? I am staying in a Marriott Property on an extended basis.  I checked in on July 5, 2009. I am scheduled to check out mid January 2010.  I am told that my Marriott points for this stay will not post until I check out. 

I earned my 75th night with Marriott in September 2009(qualifying me for Platinum status).  I will earn my 150th night in mid December 2009.  Since I will accumulate more than 150 nights in 2009 (but this stay will not be credited to my account until 2010) will I be eligible for the Elite Rollover into 2010 (i.e., on January 1, 2010 will I be able to roll 75 nights that I accumulated into 2010)?

Thank you.

Jim

rcrodgersjr Platinum

Jim, I can only think that if it is at all possible you may want to consider checking out on 12/31/2009 and then check back in until the end of your scheduled stay. Just a thought. It will be interesting to see if you get a reply from Corporate to your question. Good luck and all the best!

I don't think you'll have a problem.  The key is when you stayed the nights, not when they get credited to your account.  So all nights stayed in 2009 in excess of 75 will count towards next years platinum status.  As for Marriott answering your question on this board, I think you just need to call or email them directly.  Not sure they actually monitor this board for individual questions.