3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2009 1:02 PM by superchief1 RSS

Beware of New "Cash Upgrade' Award

superchief1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I had searched for award availability at the Hollywood Beach, FL hotel for several dates in March and early April 2010, and found no rooms available. I sent an email to Marriott Rewards regarding this issue and how it challenged the credibility of their 'no blackouts' policy. After an initial reply with a lot of excuses why no rooms were available, I received an email today stating that the hotel had made available 'cash upgrade' award rooms. As I tried to book a room for 3/20-3/27/2010, I was presented with a Cash Upgrade award opportunity for 180,000 pt. (category 6). Upon reading the fine print, it appears the hotel will charge an additional amount (only determined if I call the hotel directly) for this award. I checked all of March and April and found this to be the only award option available for any date.

This is another example of abuse of the 'no blackout' claim, and trying to take advantage of loyal customers. I am sure many people will book this award only to be surprised by room charges when they check out. I am a lifetime platinum member and feel betrayed. Marriott appears to be following the path of Delta airlines, who lost my loyalty a few years ago (after 20+ years). I hope management recognizes the impact this program abuse will have on its customers and remedies this issue.

• Re: Beware of New "Cash Upgrade' Award
    tjcnewyork Platinum

In the interest of being diplomatic, this is the second time in a week that the new rewards program INFRINGES upon Elite loyalty and confidence.

In her post, BEWARE Booking with points UNCLEAR & UNFAIR, Sophiegrace was the first to point out the impact of a highly deceptive and misleading combo award. The award combines two payment methods:

• POINT REDEMPTION - This is a fixed amount of 180,000 points for 7 nights
    • DAILY ROOM UPGRADE FEE - This amount is a PER NIGHT FEE + TAX that varies by view, room size and week 

Drawing upon Superchief's and Sophiegrace's posts, the REWARD RULES are shown below for easy comparison:

• HOLLYWOOD BEACH MARRIOTT - Take a look at the Upgrade instructions.  If you book this online w/o calling the hotel, you are baited and screwed. http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HotelRewardsUpgradeCash.jpg
    • FRENCHMAN'S REEF/BEACHFRONT- Examine the Beachfront rates listed under the Upgrade section.  There are different rates for Garden View and Water View. If you book this online or by phone w/o carefully scrutinizing the combined impact, you don't realize that you are paying double for the room in points and cash!http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HotelRewardsUpgradeCash-FrenchmansR.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Very interesting!

Thanks for sharing that with us! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

In the case of the Hollywood Beach Marriott, the only rooms ever available required the upgrade. There were no 'non-upgrade' rooms available. In my mind, this makes the 'no blackout' claims totally meaningless. We were better off when we could use double points (at lower point redemption rates) to override the blackouts. I believe that this hotel is also one that changed from a category 5 to a category 6. I plan to boycott any Marriott property that uses misleading practices like this, and will continue to share my concerns with customer care. I hope that other members complain so this situation is rectified.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...