8 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2009 1:03 AM by platinum4ever RSS

Where to go next

dcsharie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
I am looking for suggestions of where to go next for vacation.  My husband and I will travel with my 23 year old son and his girlfriend.  We want somewhere fun and interesting.  We enjoy the Caribbean and Hawaii, but want to try somewhere else.  Any recommendations for great Marriott resorts worldwide?
  • Re: Where to go next
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

dcsharie,

Do you want to stay in US or go international?

Domestically, you may want to consider Vail or Key West!  Will provide details if you like.

Internationally, there are so many choices, but you might consider a place where there is something for everyone to do.  Europe, is always my first choice with a foursome of such different ages.  You could all do something unique during the day and then share experiences over dinner.  Good luck,

I think you will get some great ideas! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

platinum4ever Platinum 1 Reviews
    How about Australia?  There's Sydney (Opera House, Harbor Bridge, zoo), Melbourne (Philips Island, Geelong, Great Ocean Road, Twelve Apostles), Surfer's Paradise (Marriott Resort and Beach) and Cairns (Great Barrier Reef, tropical paradise)!  Lovely people, weird animals (kanagaroos, Tasmanian Devils and koalas) and water, water, water!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum,

That Australian trip sounds great!

Having never been, how much time do you need to spend there?

Thanks for sharing this idea with us. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Australia sounds great and I hope to get there soon. Any Insiders with Insider information please let us know of things we can do with and without MR points

dcsharie Platinum 8 Reviews
    Thanks for responding.  Europe sounds intriguing -- any specific Marriotts that you would recommend there?

Dcsharie,

How about Monte Carlo (Cap d'Ail)?

Tell us where you really desire to go and I am sure you will get some help! 

pltnmprincess Platinum

Went to Australia Oct 08.  Used points to stay in Sydney and Surfer's Paradise.  Stay at Sydney Circular Quay.  The location is perfect - a block away from the water.  The concierge lounge was average.  Also used points for a stay at Surfers.  The location isnt as good as the courtyard - is a bit of a walk to get to the beach or downtown, but its a lovely place.  Since food is so expensive in Australia (at least it was when the exchange rate was bad), we used points to buy "Dinner for 2" certificates to be used in the Marriott Restauraunts.  They provide a good deal and everything is included, except alcohol.

I had some issues at the Melbourne Marriott.  Stayed there for 24 nights in Feb 08, wouldnt stay there again due to them making a mistake and failing to correct it.  In Oct, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt instead - absolute BEST hotel ever!!

platinum4ever Platinum 1 Reviews

Our 27-day trip to Australia in Sept 2005 was simply wonderful.  We visited Sydney (Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Bondi Beach), Melbourne (Philip's Island to see the fairy penguin parade, Geelong and The Twelve Apostles along The Great Ocean Road), Ayers' Rock (or Uluru), Coober Pedy (opal mining town in the Outback), Surfer's Paradise (only Marriott Resort in Australia), Brisbane and Cairns (Great Barrier Reef).  We stayed in Marriotts in all locations except at Ayers' Rock, Coober Pedy and Cairns (there should be one here).

With respect to how many days do you need in Australia, an obvious answer: the more the better!  The country is vast, liken it to the US.  However 90% of Australia's population is within 20 miles of the ocean, essentially a ring of people on the coast(s).  So you're going to have to make some tradeoffs.  I can't imagine visiting Australia without at least 2 weeks there.

If you only have a week, you must stay in Sydney (at the Sydney Harbour Marriott).  If you have two weeks, I'd stay a week in Sydney and a week in Cairns.  With a third week, I'd add Surfer's Paradise.  All three of these visits were different and so much fun.  Note that the distance between these locations dictate that additional air travel is required within Australia.

If you'd like to discuss this further, just let me know.

The attached pictures are from Sydney, Melbourne, Surfer's Paradise and from the coast between Cairns and Port Douglas.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...