1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 22, 2009 5:15 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Papers going, going, gone

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott International scales back free newspapers

If you want a free newspaper at a Marriott hotel, you’ll have to ask for it from now on.

Bethesda-based Marriott International Inc. says it is reducing distribution of free guest newspapers, citing a 25 percent decline in demand by customers at its 2,600 U.S. hotels.

mboxCreate('related_articles_bottom','market=pacific','slug=daily15','issue_date=2009-04-13','position=bottom');

“I visit more than 250 hotels a year, and more often than not I am stepping over unclaimed newspapers as I walk down the hallway,” said CEO J.W. Marriott, Jr. in a statement. “This new program is more guest-focused.”

Starting June 1, Marriott’s full-service hotels will ask guests at check-in if they would like a complimentary morning paper. Members of its rewards program can automatically get their preferred paper by changing their online profile.

Starting next week, free newspapers will only be available in the lobby at non full-service hotels like Courtyard and Residence Inn.

Marriott guests will be able to choose USA Today, The Wall Street Journal or the local paper.

Marriott, which started offering guests free copies of USA Today 25 years ago, says it expects to reduce newspaper distribution by 50,000 papers a day, or 18 million papers a year.

Jeff Clabaugh of the Washington Business Journal (District of Columbia), an affiliated publication, compiled this report.

The Marriott Marquis in Times Square has already implemented this across the board with the exception of the USA Today, which is still dropped at the sill each weekday morning.  I applaud the reduction in waste, and borrowing the suggestion of another Platinum Premier, would suggest that Marriott place recycle bins at all floors for papers--further reducing the clutter and waste.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Papers going, going, gone
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

Stepping,

It is weird, the Fairfield I am staying at has actually increased the number of Newspaters it delivers, including the St. Louis Post and USA today.

They do say if you want to save .75 per day they will not send your paper to the room.

Interesting! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...