3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2010 11:26 AM by mike46 RSS

Scotch Heaven

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

St. Andrews Bar on 46th just off Times Square is a great place for practicing that brogue and for sampling (not all but some of the 245 types of Scotch on the Bar.  Great food as well and reasonable as NYC places go.  A must for any Haggis lover (that excludes me) and other traditional dishes.  Atmosphere is wonderful, barmen are extremely friendly, and times are good there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Scotch Heaven
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Agreed.  St. Andrews is a landmark. Good food, great atmosphere and animated people.  Great anytime of year, but truly vibrant during the Christmas season especially with whole families dressed in holiday attire having a bite to eat waiting to go to the theater.  The food is above average and the chicken pot pie is one of my favorites there.

Photo 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Also in the chain is "stout" which is also a great place

mike46 Gold 8 Reviews

As a graduate of St Andrews (the University, not the Bar), I spent 4 years in Scotland. This was plenty of time to get to love both malt whiskies and haggis. If I'm ever in the area, I'll know where to go, thanks very much for your post.

As an aside, I'm surprised that you can get haggis in the States. There was an urban myth going around the UK that the American Food & Drugs Agency had banned haggis from importation as being unfit for human consumption ! Glad to see that's not true.

Incidentally, if you ever want to try a good haggis, my butcher recommends a brand called McSween's. Try it, you might like it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...