10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2009 6:43 PM by corey614 RSS

KC Country Club Plaza Dining

dakotastan Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Every year we head to KC Country Club Plaza the weekend after April 15th.  Me?  I celebrate getting taxes out of the way, m'lady likes to get an early taste of spring (as its 2-3 weeks later for us in South Dakota).  Its usually the perfect weekend for spring flowers and all the ornamental trees in Country Club Plaza.

But whenever you go to KC, IF you like gourmet dining in a wonderfully relaxed setting, and especially if you enjoy fine wines, try Starker's Reserve in Country Club Plaza.  Overall its probably country French and tastefully informal ... many wear jackets for dinner but not all ... And the chef and his offerings are really outstanding.

• Re: KC Country Club Plaza Dining
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

DakotaStan,

Having lived and currently traveling to KC, this is a great recommendation!

We stay at the Marriott, and can walk to everything, it makes the week-end very enjoyable.  We especially like the wine and cheese shop in the plaza with all the samples. (I can't remember it's name!) 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Very nice pictures.  We couldn't wait to get taxes done and once filed went to enjoy the beautiful Flower Show at Macys and two blocks away, had dinner at Keens Steakhouse in NYC on April 15th. We parked right in front of the restaurant - yep - street parking and were seated right next to the painting.  You'll notice all of the clay pipes that line the ceiling of this famous place.

http://www.keens.com/images/Main-Home.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We are in KC at the Courtyard South and headed to your Starkers tonight!

Thanks, we just hope it is as good as the pictures look. 

superchief1 Platinum

Jerry,

How was your dinner? We have not yet eaten there but plan to in the near future. Did you make it back to your hotel before the storms hit? It was a sleepless night in most of this area.

Superchief,

We went tonight! (Edited)  Thanks for the suggestion, we had a ball, and told them you sent us, thanks SC! 

Wow, your picture of the "Chief" is really unique! Beautiful.

I have been down at the CY South at I-435 and Holmes and the weather has kept me from the Plaza till Thursday night.  However, I have been on a BBQ "Bender" for 4 days!  Eating at Gates for lunch and Jacks Stack, 3 nights in a row!  The 135th and Holmes was great as was 95th and Metcalf.

Will get a picture and share with you how it goes at Starker's!  Don't forget to share any ideas on places in Topeka.  I stay at the RI on the West side of town and eat at Texas Roadhouse as I do not know where else to go? 

superchief1 Platinum

Jerry,

While Topeka has several national chain restaurants, these are a few of the non-chain that our out of town visitors enjoy:

Brick Oven on Wannamaker south of 29th)(great atmosphere) excellent filet (one of the top 5 I have had anywhere), usually good fish of day, Corn tamale appetizer unique and very good, great baked beans, usually good service

Pizza : Glory Days (will deliver to RI)

Thai: Tup Tim Thai 2949 S. Kansas Ave. (excellent)

Barbecue: Boss Hawg's

The Row House is a relatively new restaurant in the downtown area, fine dining, menus of the day, limitted hours, but all who have eaten there rave about it. I plan to go there in the next few weeks.

I hope this helps. We really miss the great Italian restaurants and the 7th Inn  in St. Louis, but there are plenty of great places in Topeka, Lawrence, and KC areas.

superchief1 Platinum

Jerry,

Re: 'The Chief'. I was fortunate that my dad took us on the Super Chief (to Disneyland). when I was a small child, and that was one of my most memorable family vacations. I later had a model railroad version. Although I travel primarily by air these days, rail travel (even on Amtrak) is still a great way to unwind and experience America.  

SuperChief,

What a great story!  I travel as much as I can on trains and recently went from STL/Chicago/Wash DC on a private car.  Please enjoy the pictures!

Thanks for the Topeka Rest. information.  If you have any other city's info. or need any please let me know. 

SuperChief,

Thanks again for the great Topeka recommendations!

Likewise, if I can help you with St. Louis spots, please let me return the favor! 

corey614 Gold

I know this is an old post but...if you are ever looking for FANTASTIC BBQ in a TOTALLY different style while in Kansas City...make sure to check out Oklahoma Joes.  The original location is still (by far) my favorite and is housed within a gas station. 

It's located at 47th and Mission in KCK and is WELL WORTH the wait to order.  Definitely get the special seasoning on the fries and if you get the right day, the burnt ends are AMAZING!

As for steak on the Plaza, another great location is Plaza III.  A big tray of beef (flanked by a single chicken breast) is brought tableside to show you the cuts and it is absolutely phenomenal.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...