5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2009 1:02 PM by anadyr RSS

Best of times (square)...

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
Report on the Marriott Marquis at Times Square:  good news -- the staff are friendly and helpful as ever.  Bad news:  Brand Standard--the food at the Concierge Lounge--is in place and woefully underwhelming:  not veggies at dinners, lots of repeats during the week, sadly only eggs at breakfast and huge crowds are every meal. Seems everyone in the hotel has a pass or knows someone who does.  Not a relaxing place anymore.  I spoke with several managers about this, and they told me the guests have been registering their disappproval almost daily.  Changes--who can say when or how, but here's hoping soon.
  • Re: Best of times (square)...
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Why not just go outside the hotel and walk one block South to Duke's?  You can get the best $2.00 breakfast you ever had!  Clean, safe and much like a Panera Bread.

Likewise, one the same block at the Marriott, on the South side, walk West for a great dinner or lunch at Barrymore's!  Last time we had lunch there they were giving out free Matinee tickets for plays!  We went!  Great food and not expensive! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Like the Hilton on Ave of the Americas and the Sheraton on 7th Avenue, the Marriott Marquis is a convention hotel.  All three are extremely popular venues for trade conventions, association meetings and company promotional events.  Quite honestly the Concierge Lounge in these hotels are not a place of quiet refuge, by their very location.  Add food and alcohol, they will be places to gather and be very animated.

Try the St. Regis the next time or one of the college clubs that hosts your alums.  My personal favorites include the Princeton Columbia Club, the Harvard Club and the University Club.  All three are hidden gems that offer a nice balance of animation privacy and quiet refuge - where you can just read the paper or a book as cell phones are prohibited.

Concierge food offerings is another matter. As one Insider observes, "chicken strips two nights in a row."  What I'm gathering is that brand standard for top-of-the-line Category 8 guests is disappointing.  That's ~not~ a very good sign, folks.

Famous and popular as it is as the feature revolving restaurant in New York, even The View Restaurant is not the place to enjoy culinary delights or great service.  We go there once in awhile to celebrate a birthday or a special occasion like Mother's Day or Father's Day when you can park FREE on the street on Sundays.  It's a place to bring out-of-towners for the view and a cocktail.

In addition to the college clubs, Limoncello at 777 Seventh Avenue in the Michelangelo Hotel near the Equitable Building is a wonderful upscale place for a memorable breakfast.  The venue is classical and sophisticated but not stuffy and the food and service is impeccable. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I love NY!  Goes without saying, and thanks for all the tips. As a reviewer for Zagat I like to try the out of the way places and will review some of them in future posts. Again many thanks

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Changes--who can say when or how, but here's hoping soon"

I'm glad you enjoyed NY city of my birth!  Anyway, when you have a chance, do consider sending Customer.Care@marriott.com a note about your experience - positive and not-so-positive.  It's really the only way they are set up to track how a property is doing by directly linking a guest confirmation #.  

Thanks TJC, I used the shortcut--going to the GM there as well as others in Managment.  I will do a GSS if offered, and of course, continue to post here as needed.  Customer Care knows me very well (he says humbly) from previous emails and letters.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...