3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2009 8:00 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Advice on switching from Marriott to Starwood

marksanmarco Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hello...I am looking for advice from seasoned business travellers that stay many nights in both Marriott and Starwood.

I have about 30-50 more nightst his year coming up in business travel.  I had anticipated staying exclusively at Marriott to reach Gold, but recently was not credited w/ a stay at the JW in Beijing becuase I used a "travel agent" to book my travel.  Marriott has refused to simply credit me with the nights stayed towards silver/gold...let alone count the points.  I could have picked any hotel their...Westin, Park Hyatt, but out of loyaly went w/ the JW and was burned.

In this economy, I find this behavior rather odd.  I just stayed at a Westin last night and the Starwood folks appear to bend over backwards to get more loyal SPG emmbers.

Any advice?  

Thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Advice on switching from Marriott to Starwood
    tjcnewyork Platinum

mark:

The T&C's for MR* and SPG** are explicit. Although feeling shortchanged, here's a thought.  Let's say you stayed 10 nights at the JW Beijing. Why not negotiate? Ask Marriott if they would consider giving you Gold Elite on the basis of 40 more paid nights? Several MR members shy of the nights for Silver, Gold and Platinum were surprised when Marriott upgraded their status.

* Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions, Points Earning, paragraph 8:  Prepaid wholesale rates booked through 3rd party online retailers are not eligible for points, miles or Elite night credit, including, but not limited to, Priceline.com, Hotwire.com, Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, etc. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for points.

** Starwood Preferred Guest Terms & Conditions, paragraph 4B.4: An “Eligible Rate” is the rate you pay for your room, but excludes: (a) for hotels located in Asia Pacific*, rooms where the booking is not made directly with Starwood or a Starwood branded web-site; (b) for hotels located outside of Asia Pacific*, pre-paid rooms where the booking is made by an agent or third party and you pay for that booking directly to such third party, such as tour operators, and pre-paid channels, including, but not limited to priceline.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, hrn.com, hotwire.com, lastminute.com, site59.com, orbitz.com, travelocity.com, cheaptickets.com, quickbook.com, travelweb.com, lodging.com, yahootravel.com, and travel.msn.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Mark,

That sure seems weird. There must be something wrong.  We have stayed having had our trip booked by travel agent's and never had our stay not counted.

Can you check with Marriott rewards and let us know the outcome?  

Good luck. 

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Jerry

Your comments remind me that I would routinely ask our corporate travel agency to give my MR# when booking.  I also present my MR# at check-in & check-out.  Even so, several Insiders reported receiving Elite upgrades when shy a few nights. So, Marriott is flexibile towards loyal customers.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...