10 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2009 9:14 PM by nuhusker RSS

Why do I have to Ask?

neuroempire Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I walk in from a long day.....I'm a Gold Elite....why in God's Name do I have to ask for an upgrade??? I mean really!  Why.  I should be told at the front desk,"......Umh....Yes Mr.Neuro....we have an available upgrade room"!  Excellent!!  I don't want to play game's after the day I've had.........they have the darn computor in front of them.....not me.  They know what I want!!!  What do you guys think?

• Re: Why do I have to Ask?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Neuroemp,

Yes, you would think this would be the way it would work, but I think so often the rooms are pre-assigned.

Good luck, so often a request may result in the same type of room but at a different location in the hotel.  Especially,if you want to be around the elevator or away from the traffic. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

My most satisfying guest experiences involve associates who have been with Marriott several years. They are intuitive about your expectations, anticipate needs and really feel accountable for your satisfaction.  Unfortunately, training doesn't always fill the experience gap. With so many franchised hotels, who can tell how much training these people actually receive?  That said, I believe in, "ask and you will receive."  The question is, when?  I find reconfirming with the front desk days before, and the day of arrival - works. I jot down names and what was discussed.  It's a real pain, but far less disappointing than a bad check-in.  If things go south, I have the specific details to report to customer.care@marriott.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This is well put!

Likewise, do not forget to compliment that staff member who is really on the ball for that "Special Occasion", where an  upgrade can really make a difference.  Like when you are traveling with in-laws, or when, the suite at a CY or RI, will give everyone a little "Break".

Do not forget "Comment cards" for those staff members who do make your trip more enjoyable. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Neuroempire

New York to Orlando by air is less than 3 hours but door to door this time including delayed take-off, an extremely long wait at Alamo for an SUV upgrade had us exhausted and dragging up to the resort entrance 7 hours later.

Our Check-in experience at Marriott Vacation Club's Imperial Palm Villas at the Orlando World Center was painless.  In a new development, the welcome package included a 'Thank You' from Bill Marriott along with a 500 point arrival gift. 

Thank you Marriott, I didn't have to ask.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Why do I have to Ask?"

Sometimes you have to.  Case in point.  I booked a AAA rate and requested a complimentary upgrade to a 1 bedroom bayview at the Renaissance Vinoy in St. Petersburg, Florida.  Prior to arrival, I called several times and was advised that they were working on my request.  Each conversation was an opportunity to learn the names of the front desk associates. Two days prior to arrival, the comptroller could not honor my request but the day before arrival, he assigned a corner room with two balconies. The day of arrival I called to get directions.  By that time, I recognized the voice of the associate(s) and greeted them by name before even greeting me.

Upon check-in, I received an extremely warm reception and was offered the Arrival Gift and told that my room was ready for early check-in (2 pm).  There were several celebrities staying at the hotel including a large party from the Boston Red Sox. My wife and I too felt as if celebrities.

Our room enjoyed spectacular views of the marina and pier along with a vista of downtown St. Petersburg.  From the other balcony we had a vista of upscale residential St. Petersburg with downtown Tampa in the distance.  At night the views were equally charming.  The St. Pete Pier features a 5-story building with shops and restaurants that is lit with vibrant colors that change.

In addition to the complimentary upgrade, I had to ask about BF vouchers.  The Front Desk said to let the Alfresco's staff know. We received a $20 credit towards an a buffet breakfast including freshly prepared Crab Eggs Benedict-OMG. 

So lesson learned. Sometimes you not only have to ask, you have to be persistent - in a nice way.  Learn the names of the associates, treat them like human beings.  Leverage the opportunity to set expectations that you hold everyone accountable for ensuring your satisfaction.  They will deliver!  

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I know it's not always the case, but I'm glad to hear of TJCNewYork's positive experience at the Vinoy.  I have very fond memories of the treatment I have received there over the past 10 years or so.  Glad to hear they've kept their mark high.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    Well, it is a sign of the times.  People are earning less at Marriott and the freebies that we tok for granted are no longer guaranteed.  And, add to that, the corporation is trying to maximize REVPAR, the revenue per room, by charging as much as they can for upgraded rooms.  It was never easy to have to ask and now it's even harder to get.

lesliepamel Platinum

Whilst asking about upgrades for my forthcoming vacation, I got the following reply from Marriott:

Based on your request, we have noted on your reservation that this is your fourth stay and you are requesting an upgrade to a room with a balcony.   We are unable to guarantee your request at this time.

Please note that your request may be granted upon check-in, as those preferences are currently on a first come, first served basis.

So there you have it - leave work early, and be first in the hotel queue. I guess not too early though - The previous night's guests have to vacate their rooms before they are marked as being available for future guests. Definately no midnight arrivals though!!  

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    The system needs to be tweaked: hotels should see who has stayed the most times at the property and what they paid before assigning rooms to those with less seniority and loyalty.  With computerization this is not impossible to do.  The MARSHA and other system can and should be changed to account for loyalty.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Stepping -- I stay 100+ nights/year, mostly at the government/military rate.  I am as loyal to Marriott brand as anyone who stays more or less nights at a higher or lower rate.  Not quite sure what your point is.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...