10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2009 12:33 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Innovation and Growth to Marriott Vacation Club Resorts

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

http://www.timeshares.marriott-vacations.com/common/marriott-timeshare/ebrochures/images/logos/logo-mvci.gif

Marriott News

2009 Brings Innovation and Growth to Marriott Vacation Club Resorts in the Southwest

Marriott’s Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert Debuts New Villa Design

Marriott Vacation Club International (MVCI), the recognized worldwide leader in the vacation ownership industry and a division of Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE:MAR), announces the brand’s latest villa design at Marriott’s Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert, Calif. along with the opening of additional villas at Marriott’s Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge  in Phoenix, Ariz. As Marriott Vacation Club celebrates 25 years of delivering unforgettable vacation experiences this year, the brand continues to demonstrate its leadership position in the industry through product innovation and continued growth.

Marriott’s Shadow Ridge
The modern and stylish new villas at Marriott’s Shadow Ridge reveal the brand’s latest innovation in villa design with 73 additional two-bedroom, two-bath villas. The new deluxe lock-off concept features an open and flexible design with two completely separate living rooms, balconies and a kitchen and kitchenette, allowing guests to divide villas into two separate accommodations. Each spacious villa ranges from approximately 1,110 to 1,330 square feet and includes a fully equipped kitchen with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and custom cabinets; generous living and dining areas; luxurious bedding; multiple flat-panel televisions with DVD players; private balcony; washer/dryer and Wi-Fi internet access.

Owners and guests have called the new layout “contemporary” and “high end” while describing the ambiance as “uplifting” with a stronger preference for the new design over the original. Designed principally based upon input from Owners, Marriott Vacation Club continues to deliver resorts with amenities that its Owners value and expect. The brand expects to implement this new villa design at future Marriott Vacation Club resorts, worldwide. Elements of the new villa design have also been implemented at the three Marriott Vacation Club resorts currently under development in Florida.

Adding onto the vacation resort’s existing 424 two-bedroom villas, the new villas bring the total unit count to 497 out of a proposed 984 villas upon build out. The new phase also brings on two pools; two whirlpool spas; a children’s splash zone and beach play area; Snake Bites Bar & Grill; and a nearly two-acre recreational park featuring multiple mosaic stone and tile water features scattered throughout.

http://www.timeshares.marriott-vacations.com/common/marriott-timeshare/ebrochures/images/floorplans/sr/sr-floorplan.jpg

Located in the heart of Palm Desert, the resort boasts Marriott’s Shadow Ridge Golf Club, the first Nick Faldo-designed championship golf course in the U.S., and the Faldo Golf Institute by Marriott. Owners and guests can perfect their game at the Faldo Golf Institute which provides a comprehensive instructional environment for golfers of all skill levels. The elegant sophistication and surrounding natural beauty of the Palm Springs area make this oasis a coveted vacation destination boasting endless recreation, world class dining and shopping, along with luxurious spa offerings. Marriott’s Shadow Ridge is a 10 mile drive from Palm Springs International Airport. 

Marriott’s Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge
Marriott’s Canyon Villas is located in the heart of Desert Ridge, a 5,700-acre master planned community which includes the spectacular 950-room JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, Nick Faldo and Arnold Palmer designed championship golf courses, biking and walking trails, tennis facility and various retail and community amenities within the city of Phoenix.

Adding onto the existing 159 two-bedroom villas, the new villas bring Marriott’s Canyon Villas total unit count to 213 out of a proposed 252 villas upon completion, each with approximately 1,260 square feet of living space. Each villa features a fully-equipped kitchen with granite countertops, spacious living and dining areas, multiple flat-panel televisions and DVD players, washer/dryer and Wi-Fi internet accessibility. Furthermore, the new phase brings on an expanded pool bar and grill offering new menu items and additional seating, as well as new adult pool and courtyard area with multiple barbeque areas and a fire pit.

Year-round, visitors are attracted to the Phoenix area where the landscape provides active vacationers with memorable adventures and experiences through golf, horseback riding, hiking, biking and hot air ballooning. The spectacular scenic road trips emphasize the great variety of Arizona's landscape, history, flora and fauna. Known for its breathtaking skies, the destination offers spectacular sunsets, sunrises, lightening displays and star-filled evening skies. Marriott’s Canyon Villas is a 30-minute drive from Sky Harbor International Airport.

“We are thrilled to be able to announce the additional villas at both Marriott’s Shadow Ridge and Marriott’s Canyon Villas for our Owners and guests to enjoy,” said Jane Berg, regional vice president of customer experience for the West region. “The new villa design at Shadow Ridge reflects a lot of valued input from our Owners and guests and it has already received rave reviews. I know the additional amenities at both resorts will also greatly enhance our Owner’s and guest’s vacation experiences.”

http://www.timeshares.marriott-vacations.com/common/marriott-timeshare/ebrochures/images/floorplans/cv/cv-floorplan.jpg

About Marriott Vacation Club

• Re: Innovation and Growth to Marriott Vacation Club Resorts
    superchief1 Platinum

Another benefit of the Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge is access to the facilities at the JW resort. Platinum members receive complimentary access to Spa's fitness area. We recently took advantage of a great deal on a MVC every other yr. purchase combination with the Park City Mountainside Resort.

We have not yet seen the Canyon Villas, but will be there in October. We are taking Amtrak to Flagstaff, and plan to stop in Sedona on our way to Phoenix. I will post our experiences after our trip, and welcome any suggestions for things to see/do/eat in the area. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks all for the information!

We are planning the AMTRAK experience and would appreciate your suggestions.

This really sounds like a great trip.  Good luck! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gerryburg Platinum 60 Reviews

In Sedona, don't miss a chance to dine at Cucina Rustica, a high end Italian rest. at the first roundabout driving North into Sedona.

Reserve for 6:30, outside patio.  It will be cooling down then and you will see the sun go down and the moon come up.  REALLY good food.  Definetely worht the trip.  About $35 per person.  

Enjoy! 

gerryburg Platinum 60 Reviews

In Sedona, don't miss a chance to dine at Cucina Rustica, a high end Italian rest. at the first roundabout driving North into Sedona.

Reserve for 6:30, outside patio.  It will be cooling down then and you will see the sun go down and the moon come up.  REALLY good food.  Definetely worht the trip.  About $35 per person.  

Enjoy! 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Shadow Ridge Villages (part one) are looking a little tired. Enclaves (part II) are smaller on average but very contemporary. Lock outs do not have balconies in the Enclaves. Part III (Enclaves addition) is on hold until the economy improves.

Was just there last week. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones,

The Enclaves are teeny weeny tiny units.  The master bathroom is so small, you need a folding toothbrush.  There is half closet in the master bedroom so be prepared with clothing in vacuum sucked bags.  I didn't ask, but the beds look like Queen size not King size.  The sales tour could not end fast enough.   

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

Based on your description of the tiny units, I don't see how MVC considers this to be Innovation. I sure would be disappointed if I exchanged a typical sized MVC 2 bedroom unit and was assigned one of these 'new' units with virtually no room to even hang clothes. What is Marriott thinking? Last year I purchased preconstruction at Oceana Palms, and those units are beautiful and spacious. 

I would be reluctant to exchange into Shadow Ridge for fear that I might get one of the tiny units. If you return to Palm Springs, would you consider Shadow Ridge or would you insist on DSV i or II? 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi Superchief,

On vacation, we prefer the convenience and amenities of a full service hotel nearby along with a villa that features a full master bathroom suite with a jacuzzi.  We also like being able to walk out onto a patio with views of a golf course, pond or lake.  DSVI and DSVII  offer all of the above - quite similar to the resorts where we own. 

The pre-arrival team at DSV met every request. We expressed a  preference for a villa overlooking the golf course and the mountains, the opportunity to experience some of the natural wildlife and be within walking distance of the main pool. The team did an extraordinary job and I cannot wait to write my thank you notes.

Everyday we would wake up to find a family of ducks with ducklings eagerly awaiting us to feed them on our patio with marvelous views of the golf course, multiple ponds and the Santa Rosa mountains.  The hummingbirds proved to be a very unexpected surprise.  The hummingbirds become very curious when they see the ducks feed and dart all over the place to watch.

We enjoyed the convenience of eating out at the JW Desert Springs Lakeview Restaurant and watching the gondolas transport guests.  Between 5 and 6 pm they had a Sunset Dinner special.   On Friday and Saturday nights, they have a seafood buffet.  The dining exceeded our expectations.  We billed both dining and spa to the villa to earn the points. 

The concierge staff at DSV and the JW are among the most knowledgeable I've met.  They gave us great tips about sightseeing along with excellent directions.  One Concierge even anticipated our desire to experience different aspects of the region and planned one route to a destination and a different route to return highlighting where to stop and why. 

From that perspective, having a hotel on property is a huge plus.  Our vacation was memorable.  If we go back, we would exchange at DSVI or DSVII in a flash and highly recommend these resorts. 

superchief1 Platinum

Hi TJC,

Your posts regading the Palm Desert resorts and surrounding areas are extremely helpful. I am definitely planning a trip to the area. You mentioned that DS2 visitors must pay a $45 fee to use the spa facilities at JW. Is this fee per visit or week? Can DS2 visitors use the pools or other JW facilities?

We are staying at the Canyon Villas in Phoenix in October, and will have access to all of the JW facilities. I have also been informed that platinum members have free access to the spo facilities, including the health club. I enjoy weight training on vacation (so I can eat more), so having a well-equipped workout area is important to me. Do platinum members have free access to the health club in the spa at JW in Palm Desert? Thanks again for all of your insight.  

tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi Superchief

"Can DS2 visitors use the pools or other JW facilities?"

DSV1 owners and guests have complimentary access to the JW Marriott Desert Springs Spa and Pool. DSV2 owners and guests have access for a $45 fee per visit.  This access fee includes lockers, fitness center, sauna, the spa pool (which is separate from the main pool), spa cafe and the spa refreshment lounge. The $45 fee is waived if you book a massage or other treatment.  We stayed in both DSV1 and 2. We enjoyed free access to the spa while at DSV1 and had one spa treatment while staying at DSV2.  Keep in mind that the Spa closes early and spending time at the pool during the day can be absolutely brutal and undermine the benefits of having a treatment.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM0839.jpg

JW Marriott Desert Springs Spa

Regards access to JW Marriott Desert Springs main pool, it's not something we felt compelled to do. Comparing the photos below, the JW pools are smaller than the Palmeras pools near our villa.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM0838.jpg

One of the pools at the JW Marriott Desert Springs

The Palmeras pools at DSV2 are substantially larger than the JW hotel pool complex and Palmeras was located steps away from our villa.  After a day of sightseeing, we could walk over to Palmeras where there were hundreds of people enjoying the hot tubs, pools, games and activities poolside.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1020.jpg

View from the lap pool at Palmeras, DSV2.  Notice the cabanas on the left.  The Grill, a separate pavilion is hidden behind the palm trees in the distance, where there are two more pools.  Further beyond is a hot tub, one of two at Palmeras.  The entire perimeter can accomodate about 300 chaise lounges and chairs. There are shaded areas throughout as well.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1005.jpg

The main Palmeras pool used for water volley ball as experienced under the light of the recent full moon. Although a bit blurry, you can barely make out the hot tub area on the right beyond the chaise lounges.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...