1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 2, 2010 11:43 AM by traverriotter RSS

Shanghai, China

boboybo Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Stayed at the JW hotel on business recently and was disappointed.  I also stayed at the Courtyard Pudong/Shanghai.  The Courtyard was much better for business.  The only thing I liked about the JW was the view - it was spectaular.  I found the JW was hard to communicate in checking in using English/Courtyard was excellent.  The bar on the 38 or 30th floor had service that did not understand the term - they thought the fastest you ordered the better and were unprofessional in service - tried to relax on a Saturday but kept asking literally every 15 seconds what I needed - why don't you order - why do you not want to order - want another drink - and I am not kidding about every 15 seconds.  I left and went to the Ritz Carlton and had a wonderful evening there - I would not suggest to stay at the JW - not worth it.  The Courtyard was excellent - does not have the view but the service was outstanding, especially the executive lounge and front desk.  I have stayed in JW's and was always pleased but the Shanghai JW is not worth the price and not up to Marriott great standards.  I would recommend the Ritz Carlton which I also stayed in recently and was excellent in every way.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Shanghai, China
    traverriotter Gold
    Currently Being Moderated

I tend to agree.

I recently stayed at the Shanghai JW Marriott and would say the price premium is difficult to justify except for i) the location and ii) the gym - which is pretty good.

I found the Concierge lounge service was very poor.  Lots of staff, but none of them seemed to be interested in helping.  Just a lot of standing about.  Also, I was expecting a much better selection of food than they had.  I preferred the Concierge lounge in the Yuyuan Renaissance.

Breakfast selection in the cafe was OK - but I think it was better last time I was at the Yuyuan Renaissance.

Bottomline - if you dont need the weight machines in the gym, I would recommend paying much less and staying at the Renaissance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...