14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2010 1:47 PM by klaus29 RSS

Rome & Rewards

omarhaque Platinum
Currently Being Moderated
  • Hi, which is considered the best Marriott property in Rome (close to sightseeing, clean, comfortable)?
  • My wife and I plan to travel this June (mid june) to Italy for around 7-8 days and by that time I will have around 200K to 250K points.
  • If I book the dates now and our plans change will I be able to cancel and get the points back?
  • Which other properties are good in Italy.  We want to go to Venice, Tuscany etc.
  • Re: Rome & Rewards
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

OmarHague,

This is going to be very challenging for you!

Good luck at using points or some points at Grand Flora.  You should read about others recent experiences with this and other similar properties.  I would at least try to get in there and then negotiate with the front desk.  This worked for me recently, I had the first night on points, and the hotel indicated "Sold Out" for the other two nights, but when I got there they had all kinds of rooms and took my points.  Beware though!  Have back-up! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bobctravels Platinum 1 Reviews

In VENICE, the Courtyard is a very nice hotel and only a short bus ride to Venice and the train station. In Milan, the Marriott is a wonderful full-service hotel,close to the subways, a short cab ride from the train station and the Duomo (but a $100 US limo ride to the airport). Do take the guided tour to Duomo, LaScala, and Last Supper - well worth the $50 US!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Milan, Naples, Rome, Venice & Rewards
    tjcnewyork Platinum

The GREAT news is, there is currently availability in early June using points including Marriott Milan, Renaissance Naples, Courtyard Venice Airport and even at the legendary Marriott Grand Flora in Rome.  (It's pricey - 40,000 points a night.)  The not-so-great news is w/o Platinum Elite, who can say what type of rooms you'll get.

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/m/milit/phototour/milit_phototour18_s.jpg  http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/n/napbr/phototour/napbr_phototour19_s.jpg http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/v/vcecy/phototour/vcecy_phototour02_s.jpg

Milan                  Naples               Venice

http://www.hotelfloraroma.com/immagini/immagine_home.jpg

Marriott Grand Flora, Rome

You can book now for points over the phone and request that they hold off on redeeming the e-certificate.  By default, the e-certificate is issued 7 days prior to arrival. Check cancellation policies.  They differ by brand and location.  This way you know how big a window you have if your plans change suddenly so that you can cancel w/o penalty of losing your points.

Bobctravel,

Thanks for the input on Venice.  A lot of people are down on the Courtyard, but we did not mind the short bus ride.  It was well worth the points and was very comfortable.  Lastly, we do not need a "Spectacular' place at all, we just like the casual atmosphere of the Courtyard. 

If you get a chance and want to see some great historic scenery, go to Lake Como, North of Milan.  You can visit the Bellagia and see George Clooney's place.  

There are no Marriott properties so we always stay at a small town called Chiavenna.  There is a nice Best Western, Hotel Conradi, with great (Inexpensive) food, and a wonderful downtown.  See pictures and enjoy the Norther Italian mountains! 

omarhaque Platinum
    thanks Jerrym

Omar,

Please let everyone know how it goes!

You are in for a very special trip!

Good luck! 

Omar,

You may need to be real patient, to get what you want!

Just keep trying and I think it will work out!

Again, good luck! 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Omar,

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of Marriott's in Italy.  The Grand Flora in Rome is THE PLACE to be but is very difficult to get into using points!  So, keep trying!!!

I'll be going to Italy for 3 weeks in Sept - Oct.  Starting in Venice at the Courtyard, then to Florence (not a Marriott hotel) with a day trip to Pisa and Lucca.  When I leave Florence, I'll pickup a rental car and go to San Gimignano and Sienna for a couple of nights before heading to Assisi. (no Marriotts here either)  After that, I'm heading down Sorrento (again, no Marriott) and the Almalfi coast before ending up in Rome (Grand Flora for 5 nights!).

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Have a great trip!

Let us know where you stay in the non-Marriott cities, and how it was! 

orlgal Platinum

How was Grand Flora?

mastersman Platinum

My wife & I stayed at the Grand Flora October 2009 for 6 days and had a Great stay. The hotel is central to all you will want to do while in Rome. 

briyau15 Platinum

My wife and I went Milan and Venice last year and are going to Italy again in the summer.  Used Visa Marriott 1-5 free night stay in Milan and service was excellent.  The Milan Marriott is a nice property with a concierge lounge (7th floor but very small and limited selection - sodas, water, nuts, select cheeses).  Beware though, the rooms are very over-the-top in terms of floral patterns, I'm more of a modern guy myself but to each their own.  It is in a more residential area but has a pastry shop & supermarket right across the street, and a good pizza place (Napoli Ristorante) to the left of the hotel when walking out.  The metro stop (Wagner) is a few blocks past the pizza place and takes you to the Duomo (must see, which is near the Gallerie and La Scala, which I recommend visiting as other people have mentioned.  If you are a pure tourist like I am, you only need 2 nights max in Milan to see  the aforementioned destinations and the Last Supper (recommend booking a tour to guarantee access).  A must is to also go to the top of the Duomo, the views are awesome.  ALso recommend Lake Como, which we did as a day-trip (take the finucular up to the top for great views).

In Venice stayed in a Westin so can't comment on the Marriott there.  This summer we are staying 2 nights in Flroence (no Marrriotts there) 5 nights in Rome Grand Flora using points before going on a cruise so looking forward to it.  Never been to Rome before so appreciate all the feedback on these posts.  Was debating about whether to use Visa Marriott 1-5 stay in Naples but figured Florence would be best since going to Naples for a stop on the cruise.

klaus29 Silver

tjc

when you book a room with points the

certificat will send be automatique to

the hotel i speak from europe and l asie

for the u.s.a i dont know

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...