7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2009 5:08 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Help-Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My daughter and a friend will return from a cruise on 4/18 in Miami.  She expressed a preference to stay on the beach. The Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront looks promising. Has anyone stayed at the Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront?  They'll be spending most of the day on the beach and enjoying dining and sightseeing on South Beach in the evening so a full service hotel is over the top. Any suggestions at this Courtyard?  I'm advised that to book on points will require manager approval for a Platinum overide.  Suggestions?  Connections?  Thanks in advance. 

http://media.expedia.com/hotels/1000000/70000/60100/60032/60032_102_s.jpg

• Re: Help-Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I haven't stayed at this property but have driven past it many, many times. The hotel once adorned the area as the Cadillac Hotel when built in 1940, but don't worry, it's been updated just a tad since then. It's way uptown from South Beach and if you don't mind taking a cab (assuming you don't have a car rental) it should be fine.

My hotel of choice has always been the South Beach Marriott, but it's an entirely different establishment and at Category 8, will probably be difficult to get into using points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    Take Mike's advice and stay on the South Shore!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Thanks for the reassuring note, Mikeig

Actually, the reverse is true.  South Beach has lots of rooms at 40,000 points a night and Miami Beach Oceanfront is on lock-down capacity control.  This is a b'day gift for my daughter, so the Oceanfront is right on budget.  I checked TripAdvisor reviews and multiple travelers in a wide array of languages gave the hotel consistent ratings of 4 out of 5.  People rant about the proximity of the beach - which my daughter wants, and agree that the $10 cab ride to South Beach is fine for a night out. 

Anyway, the Platinum Elite desk came through like heroes of the day.  They called the GM who approved a Platinum Overide using points plus a comp upgrade to an oceanfront king.

What's really peculiar is the map feature for the South Beach Marriott. Take a look yourself.  Set it on Aerial view and switch to Bird's eve then zoom in.  What do you see?  It looks like a parking lot and dumpy buildings. What's up with that?  I called Marriott internet care to report it.

The map is off a tad. If you were to take your mouse and move the map towards the left and then up to where 2nd meets Ocean Drive, you will see the hotel on the right side if Ocean Drive (you can see a yellow cab pulling out in front and next to the park).

I've stayed at this property many times and love it but the only downside is that it's located away from the action of SB and requires a moderate walk. Not bad in cool weather but when it's 90/90, it can be quite a schlep.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

The yellow cab and the park provide great visual cues. Marriott should really fix that map pointer, it's very misleading.  Is the S/B action west on Washington, north on Ocean or south of the hotel?  

The SoBe action starts about 6 blocks north, at Ocean and 9th St.

Like I said, it's not a big hike but when it's 90 degrees and moist, it can be grueling.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Thanks Mikieg

You've just confirmed that I made the right decision.  At $10 my daughter and friend can take a cab or take a leisurely stroll to SoBe from 39th.  It's about a mile and a half, similar to walking from the Metropolitan Museum on Fifth Avenue downtown to Rockefeller Center.  

She called from Grand Cayman yesterday and is really excited about staying in Miami Beach.   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...