3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2009 9:02 AM by jerrycoin RSS

trip to italy

thelupas Gold
Currently Being Moderated

i am looking into booking a vacation for about a week maybe a week and a half to italy. ideally i'd like to travel the entire country by starting in either rome, naples or milan and making our way around. we will probably have reservations at the 3 different hotels there. fortunately, we will be using points for the entire trip and now with the changes marriott made with no blackout dates, it is really feasible - even the cat 8 for a few nights in capri. i am interested if anyone has suggestions for how i should book this trip. my husband and i have not been to italy yet (or anywhere in europe for that matter) and would appreciate tips from experienced travelers!

• Re: trip to italy
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

We mainly travel in Italy to two great places, so I can only share with you my experience with them.  We always look forward to going here!

Lake Como area:  We do not stay at the expensive places but like to stay to the North in a small town called Chiavenna.  It's a Best Western, and not fancy or expensive, but the food and the area are great to work out of here. You can drive to St. Moritz, Ch. for some wonderful sightseeing (40 minutes).

Monte Carlo:  The Ren. is a great experience and everything about MC to me is fun.  a lot less expensive than you would think, if you use points and don't over do it!  Good luck. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newby5 Member 60 Reviews
    We are planning a trip to Italy that sounds very similar to yours for Sept.  Good luck and be patient.  "No Blackout Dates" doesn't help with the Cat.8 hotels in Italy.  Capri and the Grand Flora in Rome limit the number of reservations for rewards users.  After a month of checking the website 2-3 times a day, I finally got 3 nights in Capri.  I still have not been able to book the Grand Flora, but am still hoping something will open up.  I went ahead and booked 5 nights at the Rome Central Park as backup, but we really want to be at the Grand Flora, rather than a Courtyard.  That's not what we have been saving our points for.  I have emailed several different departments at Marriott and no one has been able to help.  Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Just keep trying, you may have to have a place booked that you can cancel, but you should get it, even at the last moment.

One other thing, try to at least get the first night.  When there talk to the front desk, they have usually let me stay for points once I am already there. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...