5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2009 5:21 PM by nuhusker RSS

Feedback methodology

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At the risk of sounding preachy, can we consider a unified theory of feedback for Marriott experiences?  How about a Likert scale (very satisifed to unsatisfied with 5 stops from one end to the other) to assess our stays. Sometimes (and I am guilty of this, it's hard to get to the meat of an issue in words) a but structured wording is OK. I think and I know that people rely on data culled from these kinds of measurements to decide if they should make changes.

Marriott GSS (Guest Satisfaction Surveys) are used by hotel management to grade performance within Marriott Brands.  Aggregated Likert Scaled data provides the metric for these GSS overviews,

I am suggesting here that we adopt our own scaling (perhaps use common language if not the scale itself) to address our satisfaction or dissatisfaction with our stay experience.

Thus any feedback would begin with the line:

I was very satisfied

or

I was satisfied

or

I was not satisified

or

I was dissatisifed,

or

I was very dissatisfied with (whatever)

Could make the folks at Marriott Rewards more likely to see in quantifiable terms, our likes or dislikes?

• Re: Feedback methodology
    tjcnewyork Platinum

SteppingStones

The Guest Satisfaction Survey was widely used to measure hotel and associate performance between 2003 and mid-2008.  I'm not sure that GSS is still in use or undergoing a transition.  Do you recall the last time Marriott sent you a Guest Satisfaction Survey? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Got one by email after my last Marquis stay in November and one for an RI stay in January.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

PS--GSS, according to my sources, still plays a major part in hotel ratings within the company. A third party handles the survey mailings and emailing, and no one is quite sure what the triggering mechanism is that starts the process for any guest.

If I can find out I will post the insider scoop on GSS

• Re: Feedback methodology-Becoming Agile Again
    tjcnewyork Platinum

On the MVC side, guest satisfaction is tied to resort arrival/check-in, quality of villa, resort activities and problem resolution. The brand is built around providing the comforts and luxury of a fully-furnished home with a working kitchen while on vacation. My sources say the key drivers include:

• Feeling of safety and security
    • Landscaping
    • Satisfaction with villa
    • Resort cleanliness
    • Satisfaction with welcome
    • Well maintained facilities
    • Satisfaction with check-in
    • Everything in working order
    • Condition of furnishings

I suppose Marriott brand management is about managing what you measure.  So measuring guest satisfaction on the hotel side will be very different from measuring guest satisfaction on the vacation side because they are different businesses.  

Without getting too complicated, one thing is for sure, from the guest view, you are satisfied with your experience or you're not.

Postscript 4/8:   The announcement* posted by a member of the Marriott Concierge Team on Flyertalk yesterday evening illustrates the favorable impact of guest feedback leveraging the "new rules of engagement".  The GSS is definitely one source that Marriott can use to determine how they are measuring up as well as identify gaps in service delivery.  The 'new rules' including social media such as Flyertalk.com, Marriott Rewards Insiders and e-mail to Customer.Care@marriott.com provide more immediate engagement.  To Marriott's credit, they are leveraging multiple sources to become more agile:

Just over two weeks ago I announced that Marriott would be reevaluating its Concierge Lounge offerings. All the concerns raised in this thread were discussed; however, the focus of the current change is on food offerings. Based on multiple feedback sources, we learned that hotels needed additional flexibility in the types of popular, healthy, and comfort food selections they offer. Going forward, our General Managers and hospitality teams on property will have options that will help them to customize lounge offerings that meet their guests preferences.

I recognize that many of you would have liked more details regarding this new policy, or perhaps to have seen additional changes. I am optimistic that as you visit our lounges over the next weeks and months you will be pleased with the changes you observe. I assure you that we continue to look for ways to improve and we value your comments, concerns, and questions.

Regards,

Ira

Marriott Concierge Team

marriott.concierge@marriott.com

* Concierge Lounge

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    I tend to get a CSS after about every 4th stay or so (most recently last week), and it seems that I get more of these from FFI stays than at others.  The 10 scale used doesn't leave much room to differentiate between levels of service/satisfaction, and a 5 scale is almost too broad.  I've taken TJCNewYork's advice and started emailing customer care with both problems and kudos.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...