3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2009 3:33 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Impact on MVC Owners

superchief1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My greatest area of disappointment with the devaluation of reward points is that I have basically lost the option to exchange my MVC timeshare weeks for points. I am not going to give up my two bedroom condo resort for one week at a Courtyard. Marriott needs to increase the number of points timeshare owners receive for their timeshare weeks, or their business model will be negatively impacted.

Timeshare owners will now likely use their home resort weeks, or exchange them for other timeshares. This will greatly reduce the number of units Marriott will have available to rent as hotel rooms, especially in those that are attached to a resort/ convention center.

I have four MVC timeshares currently, and primarily stay at other MVC properties when I exchange. I recommend that Marriott improves their exchange program by offering the following:

1. Initiate the option to exchange to other Marriott properties without using Interval.

2. Insist that Interval offers a search option that includes only Marriott resorts. Currently, I have to manually enter the resort code for each Marriott property I am considering.

I have also suggested that a forum be created for MVC issues, but my requests have been ignored. The MVC website only allows positive feedback to be posted, so it is basically of no value for this purpose. I am anxious to see others comments regarding these topics. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Impact on MVC Owners
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi Superchief

GREAT SUGGESTIONS - thank you for posting!  I totally agree that Marriott can streamline the timeshare exchange program to provide a more positive experience, achieve better integration with Marriott Rewards, and continue to deliver the value we expect from vacation ownership. 

1. Interval International delivers value when an owner desires to exchange for a resort outside of the Marriott portfolio. (Disney for example) Since I own within a 50 mile radius of DisneyWorld, it's forbidden.  But, I have never considered doing so because I prefer the peace-of-mind that comes with the Marriot brand. With the growth in the # of Marriott resorts, I don't feel there is need to.  Amplifying your suggestion, I would like to see the Marriott Desk at Interval become part of Marriott Owner Services.  A modest Exchange Fee to cover the administrative costs is fine.  If for some reason, I want to go outside of Marriott, that should be an additional fee.
    2. Integrate IntervalWorld.com, Marriott Owner Services and Marriot Villa Rentals more tightly with Marriott Rewards.  There's a huge service gap and disconnect in brand experience. Owners with Elite status (Silver, Gold, Platinum or Premier) have to jump through hoops and pay additional fees to do an exchange to another Marriott Vacation Club property. And, if you want to rent a villa, there are even more hoops. Why is that?  Why do I feel penalized and 'nickel and dimed' as a Marriott owner?  Why not integrate Owner Services and Reservations?  Doing so streamlines operations, reduces administrative costs and delivers reservations, rental and exchange services faster, better and cheaper!
    3. Align the Elite program with vacation ownership i.e. Silver Owner Elite, Gold Owner Elite and Platinum Owner Elite based upon number of weeks owned and/or dollar amount of Annual Maintenance Fees.  Rather than increase the points for an exchange (which would require a change to the sales contract) develop Owner Elite Bonus Points that are awarded on a % basis when Maintenance Fees are paid. (Even if an owner uses the Marriott Rewards Visa Signature Card to pay for MF, it is not enough to offset the difference in points required to trade a week for Cat 6, 7, 8 week.)
    4. Create a more unified Marriott Insiders community that serves guests, owners and associates.  Right now the fragmentation doesn't really serve the Marriott brand well.  The larger the community, the easier it is to solicit feedback, cross-promote, vet ideas and grow loyalty to the brand.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

Hi TJCNY

I completely agree with your suggestions. I have definitely experienced a lower level of service overall from MVC corporate than I have with any other Marriott organization.

I am curious whether other MVC owners have found it much more difficult recently to exchange to a desired resort. I have owned at Royal Palms for several years and had always been able to exchange to my desired location very easily, including Hilton Head, Newport Coast (where I am now an owner): Oahu (Ko Lina), and several other great resorts. I have noticed that some of the resorts listed by Interval have no availability whenever I search. All of my home resorts are in high demand resorts, so this should not be an issue.

Several of the MVC owners I know are trying to establish our own 'internal exchange', since we own resorts in multiple locations. This allows us to reserve our desired week, and we are treated as 'owners' when we stay. Although our network is currently limited, it is definitely better than using Interval.

MVC ownership has been a very good ecperience for us overall, but I am concerned that the program changes will negatively impact the quality, service, and financial stability.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief

Taking a step further, I called Marriott Owner Services earlier today to deposit one of my weeks.  I was surprised when the rep volunteered to assist with any Marriott reservations.  Apparently, they are undergoing cross-training.  They had a skeletal staff today so I'm planning to call again to probe.

IntervalWorld.com is not user-friendly and the source of repeated complaints according to Owner Services.  The Marriott Desk at Interval International is hamstrung because they are inventory-driven.  If owners at a resort that you are trying to get into fail to deposit their weeks at Interval, there is no inventory for them to post at IntervalWorld. This year some of the most desirable clubs - we have yet to experience - like OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach and Newport Coast are undergoing expansion, construction and/or refurbishment which knocks out a whole block of villas for at least 3 weeks at a time.  The good thing is to experience a resort post-refurb when everything is fresh - so the best is yet to come!

Royal just finished a refurb last year, Sabal is doing one now and Imperial completed a refurb in 2007.  I'm headed there at the end of the month to be followed by some exploring at Tarpon Springs as you know and further south to Treasure Island.

Have you taken the tour at Grand Lakes Reserve yet?   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...