10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2009 6:35 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Need HELP to find hidden gems on Treasure Island

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We're extending our Central Florida trip by 3 days to explore the barrier islands that skirt the Gulf coast from Clearwater Beach to St. Pete Beach. Where would you stay to relax and unwind?

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/t/tpams/phototour/tpams_phototour46_s.jpg http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/t/tpams/phototour/tpams_phototour60_s.jpg    OR    http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/t/tpati/phototour/tpati_phototour07_s.jpg http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/t/tpati/phototour/tpati_phototour02_s.jpg

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites        Residence Inn Treasure Island

We're booked at the Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites at Sand Key, but seriously considering a switch to the Residence Inn at Treasure Island - on a must try recommendation from Goalie. What's the service like at these places?  We prefer a 1 bedroom King.  Any thoughts?

I'm looking for places to offroad, must see attractions, Kodak moments and the hidden gems along the beach or the intra-coastal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Seafood, seafood and more fresh seafood!   The more casual and laid back the better, this is time to rest and relax.  We plan to spend one evening dining in Tarpon Springs with great tips from SuperChief.  The web uncovered several places further south including the Hurricane, Gator's Cafe, Snapper's Sea Grille and the Compass Grille. I need Insider advice!  Leave no shell unturned.  All tips are welcome!

• Re: Need HELP to find hidden gems on Treasure Island
    superchief1 Platinum

TJC

I have read reviews on other sites regarding restaurants in the area, and found the Pearl (Treasure Island) and Mykonos (Tarpon Springs) to be rated highly. The Pearl was cited as having excellent seafood with French influence. I saw many excellent Greek restaurants (based on the appearance of the food as I walked by) in Tarpon Springs and we enjoyed our lunch at Costa's.

I am anxious to learn about your trip, since we may stay at the Residence Inn TI next March based on Goalie's reco. It appears to be located near the hotel we stayed for several memorable childhood vacations, and the beaches ar beautiful in the area. Have a great trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lorirobert Platinum
    We have not stayed at either, but here is my two cents anyway.... we actually pulled into the parking lot of the Residence Inn Treasure Island and got out of the car to look around last June.  The pool area was nice but small and the hotel was a bit small and crowded, however it is right on the beach.  We had chosen to stay at the Marco Island Marriott instead and were glad once we were there.  We were using points and somehow, they were the same point value amount for a week stay, so we really were lucky.  My sister-in-law stayed at the Clearwater Marriott a few years ago and said they had a wonderful time.  She has two active boys and said the kids enjoyed the pool and the beach.  She did say you needed to cross the street (which was busy) to get to the beach.  Hope this helps!  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Thanks Superchief and LoriRobert

Bring out the flip flops!  Two images are burned into my brain from this winter giving me cabin fever.  Getting snowed into Wentworth by the Sea and watching the incredible rescue of passengers from USAirways in the icy Hudson River. My wife and I are ready to spend some time feeling the sand between our toes!

Lori-my bride is aching to go to Marco Island.  We have heard nothing but praises.  With some luck we'll be able to exchange into the new club next year, I already put one week on deposit. Thanks for the recommendation.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Costa's is a MUST!

Thanks for the memories. 

superchief1 Platinum

While the Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites has beautiful water views, it is not on the beach. The beach is on the other side of the street and the hotel provides a shuttle because of the long walk. The hotel has a nicer pool and other services that the Residence Inn on TI does not have. However, it appears that the Residence Inn is right on the beach.

When I was there w/o 3/16, the Clearwater Marriott provided breakfast vouchers for M-F for the Healthy Start, with a $5 charge to upgrade to full buffet.

I agree with you regarding Marco Island, and I hope to exchange into the MVC over the next few years. I own a week at Ocean Pointe and a week at the new Oceana Palms in the Palm Beach Springs area. Both are on the beach and have excellent on site facilities (pools, fitness center, etc). They were both built by MVC and have the standard room layouts. Oceana Palms will have an onsite restaurant, but there are several good restaurants in the area, but you do need a car. Have a geat trip.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Our choice when we're in the St. Pete and surrounding areas is Vinoy Renaissance.  Not on the beach, but not too awfully far of a drive, and the hotel, amenities, and staff are great.  Nice golf course too.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NUCornhusker,

We feel the same way!

St. Pete, with the REN. is tough to beat!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings everyone,

Based upon the thoughtful suggestions here, the positive comments of MVCI owners &  friends at our timeshare, and many candid reviews found at TripAdvisor.com, we've decided in favor of the Residence Inn Treasure Island!   We have a really good list of restaurants to check-out, too. 

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions!  

superchief1 Platinum

TJC,

I hope you have a great trip. I am anxious to learn how you like the Residence Inn on TI. We plan to go back to the area next spring (unless I can exchange into MVC Marco Island)and I am trying to decide whether to go there or back to the Clearwater Marriott Suites. Enjoy the seafood and Greek pastries.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief

Thank you for the well wishes. (youTUBE Video tour of RI Treasure Island)

I know what you mean about Marco.  Marco is in it's first season of owner occupancy, so exchanging will be challenging the first two years.   If Marco turns out to be another Hilton Head where 80%+ of the owners choose to occupy year after year, it will be nearly impossible.

The primary driver for selecting RI Treasure Island was the desire to be on the beach where I could off-road and be in a room where we could experience the Gulf breeze from a balcony along with an expansive view.  Since we plan to explore the local area in the spirit of Guy Fieri and uncover the 'diners, drive-ins and dives,' a full-service hotel wasn't practical - we'll have that and more at Imperial Palms and the Orlando World Center before Treasure Island.

Stay tuned! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...