7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2009 5:07 AM by jerrycoin RSS

DCDiamond

dcdiamond Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

As a platinum member, the quality of the club lounges is very important.  Some insights in DC: The Mayflower has the best lounge by far.  The food is good, the deserts are awesome (esp chocoate coated strawberries, cream puffs, etc.) the food is always well stocked, and the concierge ( Rudy ) there in the evenings is very friendly.  The M St Rennisance has great dinners and good deserts.  The 9th St Rennisance lounge is also wonderful and huge (esp bagels and salmon for breakfast).  I also recommend the Metro and Woodley Park lounges.  If you are elite, the Woodley Park Marriott often give upgrades to huge apartment suites.  The JW Club Lounge is the biggest disappointment.  Dinner selection is limited, breakfast egg quiches are soggy, and evening desert is only stale cookies.  They usually do not have breakfast ready if you get there when they open in the morning.

• Re: DCDiamond
    tjcnewyork Platinum

With the cherry blossoms in bloom, the DC tips about the best lounges are greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the reminder about the Renaissance Mayflower, what a treat!

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/w/wassh/phototour/wassh_phototour29_s.jpg  http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/w/wassh/phototour/wassh_phototour27_s.jpg  http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/w/wassh/phototour/wassh_phototour30_s.jpg  http://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/w/wassh/phototour/wassh_phototour07_s.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

goalie Platinum

I stayed at the Residence Inn, Capital last year and loved the location. While it did not have a club, the location was just great! As a Residence Inn, breakfast was fine and evening food was ok. They always have fresh cookies. Mostly, this hotel more than any provided easy access to the, Mall, Smithsonian and Native America museum with it fantastic cafeteria. We so enjoyed walking the Mall at dusk. The metro was around the block. Fine dining was not real close but with the Metro who cares.

I like the Wardman Park Marriott which had an ok club. Again, neighborhood is so enjoyable with lots of fine dining at a variety of prices. I was very unimpressed with the JW. I'd go off the grid and stay at the Willard which is great.

Do go to the Jefferson Memorial and rent the paddle boats. What a fantastic way to enjoy Washington and the blossoms!

Goalie

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Goalie,

The family stayed at the RI DC recently and absolutly enjoyed all about it and the location.

Is this as good of a family place as we found it, in your opinion?

goalie Platinum

jerrymor

I THOUGHT THE RI CAPITAL IN DC WAS NOT "AS GOOD AS IT GETS" BUT CLOSE ESP. WITH KIDS. KIND OF A LACK OF DINING OPTIONS WAS THE BIGGEST SHORT FALL. THE AREA BUSTLES M-F BUT IS DEAD AFTER 5 AND ON WEEKENDS. SAFE, RELATIVELY CLEAN, NICE STAFF. FOR ME AS A TRAVELER IT WAS A 7 OUT OF 10 BUT IT WORKED WELL. THE KIDS HAD A NICE POOL AND WE WENT OVER TO THE MALL IN THE EVENING TO WATCH THE MONUMENTS LIGHT UP. ENOUGH AFTER A LONG DAY. I HAVE STAYED AT A LOT OF DC HOTELS BUT THIS ONE WITH KIDS WAS VERY ADEQUATE. NOT SURE I WOULD PICK IT FOR BUSINESS BY MYSELF.

GOALIE 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Let me throw in a plug for the Crystal Gateway Marriott just over the Potomac in Crystal City (aka Arlington) VA.  The Metro subway runs under the building and is accessible day or night without going outside into the unpredictable DC weather.  Lounge is comfortable, though in the good old days, was staffed with excellent food and conicerge personnel, some of whom were Cordon Bleu graduates.

Parking is more reasonable than the DC properties and it's convenient to everything using the subway.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Stepping Stone -- any recommendation as to whether I should stay at the the Crystal City Marriott or Crystal city Gateway?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Goalie,

Yes, I would not argue!  We happened to have a meeting on the same block, so it spoiled us.  We took the kids to the Zoo and just had a great time.

Thsnks! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...