7 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2009 9:14 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

NYC HELP!!

goalie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I HAVE BOOKED A COUPLE ROOMS AT THE NEW FAIRFIELD INN ON 40TH IN MANHATTEN AND I'M WORRIED. THE FEW REVIEWS I HAVE READ TALK ABOUT THE VERY, VERY SMALL ROOMS AND DREARY STREET. I AM TAKING THE FAMILY AND DO NOT WANT TO RUIN A GOOD VACATION WITH A BAD HOTEL STAY. ANY INFO WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED INCLUDING HOW BIG ARE THE ROOMS, LOCATION ETC. LEAVING IN A FEW WEEKS SO WILL NEED TO SCRAMBLE IF IT'S BAD NEWS!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: NYC HELP!!
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Goalie

Candidly, you have reason to be worried. To enjoy New York City, set sights on E40th, avoid W40th.  Consider the Courtyard New York Manhattan Fifth Avenue at 3 East 40th. It is a much better location for a family vacation.  Here's why:

• The Courtyard (A) places you in the heart of midtown NYC close to sightseeing, access to public transportation, shopping and choice restaurants.  The Fairfield (B) is across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, the largest ground transportation hub in the world. More than 200,000 people commute into and out of NYC through this building as do 7,000 buses.
               https://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/n/nyces/phototour/nyces_phototour01.jpg?Log=1 A   https://cache.marriott.com/propertyimages/n/nycfi/nycfie01.jpg  B
    • The Courtyard is steps away from St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, the MOMA, Empire State Building and more.  In stark contrast, the Fairfield is near the Lincoln Tunnel.  Aside from the fumes, the street is a traffic snarl in the morning and the evening rush hour plus there are hundreds of thousands of people stampeding to catch a bus not taking leisurely strolls on Fifth Avenue.
    • NYC is about the view. The Courtyard and Fairfield are about matched because the skyline vistas are blocked by the skyscrapers around them.  I would prefer looking at pedestrians walking on E 40th Street, rather than cars parked on top of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and the bus ramps coming out of the terminal!
    • New York is about neighborhood.  The Courtyard is in cosmopolitan Midtown across the street from the very charming Bryant Park and grand architecture of the NYC Public Library.  The Fairfield is in Hell's Kitchen. While there are ethnic restaurants, boutiques, the theater district and Times Square nearby, the Courtyard is ON Fifth Avenue.

Now, if you or a member of your family are participating in or planning to attend a trade show at the Javits Center, the Fairfield Inn is the place to be - it's 3 blocks away.  In fact, the International Auto Show is coming to town mid-April.  But, if you are looking forward to the Easter Parade, then you can step out onto Fifth Avenue in your Sunday best and head uptown from the Courtyard and enjoy! 

Well, I hope this helps. Very best wishes for great weather and a wonderful family vacation in New York.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

goalie Platinum

You're the best! Thank you so much. i was having a lot of misgivings and the reviews (not too many available since it so new) mirrored exactly what you said! I ended up getting almost the same rate at a Hilton family property that I have actually been too about ten blocks uptown from the Fairfield Inn. I think I was seduced by a new hotel but I just stayed at a brand new Fairfield Inn and the room was uncomfortably small. Hope this is not the trend! it is so important that one have a good first experience in NYC, impression stays with you for a long time! Also, the car show is on exactly when we are in town, would rather avoid a large convention!

FYI, as a matter of principle I avoid Courtyards because as a Platinum member I do not get breakfast free. Courtyards drive me crazy because they charge for everything. After several years as an elite member. I am kind of getting burned out of being nickeled and dimed!  

Thanks again.

tjcnewyork Platinum

My pleasure, Goalie

I hope you're not referring to The Hilton New York on Avenue of the Americas?  While a distinctive property and Hilton's flagship, the Hilton New York is very competitive with Javits and goes after the association trade shows with great success.  In mid-April, the Hilton hosts the International Restaurant and Food Service Show among others.  You might find yourself standing in a long queue waiting for a cab along with Bobby Flay, Emeril, Lydia and the entire Food Network ensemble.  Who needs a level-the-playing-field experience like that on vacation with family no less?

Rather than disparage the Courtyard for nickel and diming, why not use that to your advantage?  You already have secure reservations at the Hilton, leverage that!  Why not contact the GM of the Courtyard at 3 East 40th directly and request that complimentary breakfast vouchers be included to entice you to switch?  Set your mark and negotiate a deal, it's a buyers market.

I forgot to mention that 3 East 40th is across Fifth Avenue from the Bryant Park Grill,* a must try for lunch.  It's sibling, The Bryant Park Cafe opens April 15th - it's the place for the best in parkside dining, alfresco in the heart of New York.

* Re: New York City Restaurants      

goalie Platinum

Thanks TJC!

Actually, I booked the Hampton Inn on 8th and 51st near Columbus Circle. While not as good a location as the Courtyard, the reviews are excellent and I really like Hampton Inn's. It is the right size hotel for my teenage family and the breakfast is more generous than Fairfield Inn. I think the location is good and busy enough with out being overwhelming. I have recently had a couple Marriott GM encounters which have been somewhat disingenuous, seems like a lot of that is going on in the travel industry right now (rental car companies are my latest peve). The idea of having to negotiate just wears me out. I feel entitled because of loyalty which is what I thought the rewards program was all about. I also think I need a break, I have a little Marriott fatigue.

I saw your other posts re) Florida. We recently stayed in the new Residence Inn on Treasure Island and liked it very much esp. for the beautiful beach access. Facility was very nice, best are the one-bedroom units in the taller tower. Avoid the lower tower and multi-bedroom units, they are dark and not as appealling. Neighborhood is full of hidden dining treasures and has a very eclectic feel (transitional but safe). Lots of Europeans. Not as sterile as Clearwater or Naples. There is a new Residence Inn just open for reservations right near Sanibel. Trying that next year.

Any Paris tips? I have the Le Parc booked in October. I love the 16th, quiet where you feel like you are living in Paris but a short Metro trip to everything. The Vendome looks nice but the neighboorhood is a bit too touristy for me.

I'll let you know how NYC goes. Thanks for the food tip; I will be mostly looking for quantity over quality, three giant teenagers too feed but I might get a chance for a night or two of quality.

Goalie

tjcnewyork Platinum

Goalie

Eighth Av and 51St. is an area completely transformed.  The 8th Ave Subway stop is right there. Broadway is one block east and the northernmost section of the Theater District. A few more blocks east and you are at Radio City Music Hall on Avenue of the Americas.   Columbus Circle is a few blocks north.  The relatively new Time Warner Center, Central Park South, Lincoln Center and the Upper West Side are at your doorstep. Take the #1 Train at Broadway and head uptown to check out Carmine's. I appreciate the candor regarding Marriott GMs, but you MUST visit Bryant Park Grill on W40th just off Fifth.

Regards Paris, just whisper the 16th Arrondisement and I'm transported back to my graduate school days.  That was ages ago, Boulevard Montparnasse and the Jardin du Luxembourg come immediately to mind.

Thanks for the tips on the Residence Inn, I'll check it out!

goalie Platinum

TJC

We had the best visit to NYC ever and thank you again for all your great advise. Loved the Hampton Inn North Times Square, could not have been any better, fit the needs of the family perfectly, Very glad I avoided the Fairfield, took a look at it, hotel ok, street grim. 8th Avenue was perfect!

We had great weather, enjoyed all the sites, even did Grant's tomb and the Endeavor! We did not get to your food suggestions but did go to Bouchon for goodies in the Time Warner bldg since it was so close and ate lunch from there on the lawn in Central Park. Doesn't get much better! I live near Napa and am a real fan of the quality of the Thoma Keller endeavors.

Thanks again. i am going to Paris in the fall, can't wait!  FYI, Le Parc Trocadero is very nice for the Paris forum and away from the mass tourist crowds.  

Goalie

tjcnewyork Platinum

Bravo Goalie!

I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed New York City.  The Time Warner Center is a wonderful amenity and gateway to the Upper West Side.  8th Avenue from the 50's and up is completely transformed.  Enjoy Paris!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...