4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2009 9:00 PM by anadyr RSS

Travel bad-mouthing

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Maybe you've seen the new articles about the travel industry complaining that the business trip business, the life blood of the hotel business, is being bad-mouthed by Congress and by others, mainly becuase of the excesses of a few, namely those in the AIG kerfuffle. 

As a business traveler for over 30 years I for one do not see going to far away places and spending a day or a week or a month away from family as excessive or wasteful.  In fact, the face-to-face meeting, while in danger of being eclipsed by Webex and CISCO presence and emails, still has value in our e-world.

Marriott has joined the fight to stop degrading the essence of business travel.  I am happy to join the fight to make it so and have written my representatives in Congress to tell that business trips remain a viable and valuable part of my life.

• Re: Travel bad-mouthing
    tjcnewyork Platinum

There is an unstated common denominator between 'Travel bad-mouthing' and the article, Tourism in Peril - thanks for posting it.  The point that needs to be made is that travel is absolutely essential to business.  We tend to think that business is a transaction.  It's not.  Business is about face-to-face engagement, forming relationships and creating trust.  The business transaction is a positive outcome.  Even Bill Marriott overlooked this point in the Arizona interview.  Hospitality jumpstarts business.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Yep, but he knows that it is true even if he did not mention it.  The history of Marriott proves that service and quality and business are the pillars of their success.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum
    People (Bill Marriott's audience, legislators and the media) tend to forget.  Making the point in new and fresh ways, illuminated with examples delivers the message that travel for business is not only good, it's essential to what the country is trying to achieve.  

Let's not wait for a pollster to call and ask the question, but be proactive:  call your senator or congressman, write a letter, etc.  That's what I have done--hope that it makes a person in power take notice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...