3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2009 9:41 AM by mikiegfla RSS

Broadway recommendations

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be in Manhattan over Easter and wondered if anyone has seen any new plays they could recommend.  Last time (November) I was there saw a bunch, must missed a few.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Re: Broadway recommendations
    tjcnewyork Platinum

If musicals appeal, Shrek the Musical opened last December, but could not rival Christmas in New York, the election fanfare, and the economic meltdown.  Shrek received great audience reviews, the critics tend to nitpick at production issues that arise when animated features make it to Broadway (which I don't agree with). I found Shrek's colorful humor very entertaining.

Off Broadway, Cirque du Soleil's Kooza opens on Randall's Island on Thursday, April 16. Directions by car * or public transportation ** below.

* Car:  Randall’s Island Park is located under and accessible via the Triborough Bridge in the East River, between Manhattan, the Bronx and Queens. Bridge toll upon entering; there is no charge to leave the Island. Once you enter the Park, follow event signage for pick-up, drop-off and parking sites. From Manhattan: Get on the Triborough Bridge (aka RFKennedy Bridge) at East 125th Street. Stay left for the exit to Randall’s and Wards Island, immediately after the toll plaza.

** Public transportation:   Take the 4,5, OR 6 Train or Metro-North to 125th St., then transfer upstairs to the X80 Express Bus ( NW Corner of 125th St. and Lexington Av. Log onto WWW.MTA.INFO for details.

Round-trip ferry service will be available from departure points in Manhattan. To make reservations, and for ticket cost and full departure schedule, log on to www.nywaterway.com or call 1-800-53-FERRY. Discount applies on advance purchases for round-trip service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks, we saw Shrek and loved it last November.  A great and funny time, we laughed a lot.

Where is Randall's Island exactly (West Coast innocence showing here).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Here's a tip I learned during my last stay in Manhattan in December. The TKS booth in Times Square sells tickets for that evenings performance starting at 3:00pm. That puts a damper on things if you are out and about on the town, having to be back to get on line at 2:00.

However, the TKTS office at South Street Seaport sells tickets for that evenings performance starting at 11:00am when they open up and I found the lines to be very short.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...