4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2010 1:51 PM by anadyr RSS

Scam/75% Room Discount Cards

onearm Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I all most lost $275.00 on a scam were they sell fraudulent Marriott Associate 75% discount cards on Ebay. These cards are listed on several other websites as well. Contacted a VP and Marriott security and left Voice Mails stating that I had vital information that could lead to an arrest. But like many other concerns we have with Marriott they go unanswered. You would think someone from Marriott would return my calls.

GO FIGURE

• Re: Scam/75% Room Discount Cards
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks for pointing this out!

This could save a lot of people lot's of money and time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow--thanks for the tip.  Like purchased FF miles that were popular in newspaper ads a while back, they're too good to be true!

Associate and Friends and Family rates require (for associate rate) presentation of the employee's card, and for FFR, presentation of a first copy of the certificate and a photo ID.  Names have to match or no deal.

Marriott associates do get busy at times, and there can be confusion at checkin but I have from time to tume used the FFR and ALWAYS been asked for both the cert and the ID.

GMs can fax the FFR information to hotels but I've found that having the official piece of paper is much preferred at check-in.

Thanks for alerting us to this scam--much appeciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Buyer beware, there are many scams on eBay and CraigsList.  Marriott Room Discount Cards, Marriott Hotel Certificates, Marriott Gift Certificates, Marriott Rewards Points and Marriott Vacation Club timeshare weeks are among the many items seen posted for sale on CraigsList.org today. Maybe all of them or none of them are scams, but why be exposed to the financial or the criminal risk?  My hunch is that this is a matter for the authorities.       

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Just like those silly Nigerian letters and emails offering money in exchange for (shockingly) money up front.  This scam might be the cleverest of the day but not the last that we'll see.

If you are not entitled to a discount, then the folks at Marriott will not honor your discount attempt, and that's an iron-clad sure thing.  The downturn in the economy has been felt all over and scammers will try to move in to prey on the hopeful among us.

So, let's hope the FBI and the FCC are aware. I sent an email to Marriott Rewards and alerted them to Onearm's posting, which was timely and well done.

Buyer beware as we always say.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...