10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2009 9:11 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

What matters most?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I would be interested in hearing what matters most to Elite members when staying at full service Marriott hotels:

• Room upgrades
  • Room to Suite upgrades
  • Free Internet
  • Free parking
  • Free breakfast when the Lounge is closed on weekends
  • Reduced rates for rooms in lieu of points
  • Free Spa admission
  • Discounts on meals in hotel restaurants

The list is in no particular order, not even alphabetical, so if you care to, rank these in order of preference, and add others.

This very unscientific and not statistically singificant survey might give all of us a snapshot of the things that matter most to us, and perhaps when compared to the relative cost and benefit for the Marriott corporation, could be implemented.

• Re: What matters most?
    tjcnewyork Platinum
    What matters most:

• Complimentary Room to Suite upgrades *
    • Concierge/Comp breakfast on weekends *
    • Free/Discounted parking *
    • Awards points & accepts points *
    • Reduced points for multi-night stays **
    • Complimentary upgrade **
    • Pointsavers **
    • Credit for nights towards Elite membership ***
    • No blackout dates
    • Free Internet

* Dealbreaker, Paid

** Dealbreaker, Points

*** Dealbreaker, timeshare resorts

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Free internet is a must, or I try not to stay there!

The room to suite upgrades.  It is just plain nice to have some extra space when on the road.

Good luck with this nice inquiry! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks to both of you for answering so quickly.  Now if I could only get others to answer as well.  I was wondering if you would mind listing these what matters items as deal breakers--in other words, tell me which if any on your list if not there when you assumed it would be, would make you reconsider your choice of a stay at a Marriott hotel.  I realize most of these are not given out freely, but perhaps are under consideration by corporate folks, but it would be helpful for me to see what keeps us coming back to Marriott in terms of what we DON'T get but could.

Maybe that is not a good way to explain, but what is that we could have had in a perfect Marriott experience but don't that gets us fed up?  Rephrased then my post would then be, "what goal matters most to us and if not reached would cause us to forgo a stay?"  The items can be from the first list or any additonal ones.

Obviously, Maslow and I have a hierarchy of needs thing going here--what is that we want, if we don't get it do we take action, etc? Not quite as dramatic as his 1943 work, but instructive for me to see what the most loyal customers value most.

Thanks for the excellent posts

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

One thing that is a real reason that I stay at Marriott properties is the employees are APPRECIATIVE of my business and me.  It's starts with the "Hot Line", these folks always are kind, interested in my travel and seem sincere when we chat about my Marriott experiences.  Often, they state, "I have a job because of people like you".  Please understand, I am a "Worker" just like each and every one of them!  However, I am not on a expense account, these stays are my choice, and paid for by me.  It is just as much fun for me to say "Thanks" as it is for them!

Lastly, one thing that is also important is "Consistency", of the room, style, food, etc.  However, I do have concerns over consistency of the rates I am paying for the rooms vrs. many groups that I see in the properties where I stay. After 25 years, I should not have to "Wonder" if the rate I am getting is the best I could get.  I am not looking for something for nothing, just "Consistency", that the rate I am paying is indicative of my choosing Marriott over other hotels.  

Thanks for letting me share this with you. 

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

With all due respect, you are asking Marriott to give away the store.  Implemented as presented, you are asking Marriott to give away what would amount to a few thousand dollars in freebies for a weeks stay.

Free parking in places like NYC that charge $55/day?

Free SPA?

Meal discounts?

I like perks as much as the next guy, but I think this is a bit over the top.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Discounted parking for Elite guests in NY is not giving away the store.  In midtown, you can park at an early bird special good for 10 hours for $25 at 10 Rockefeller Center.  A few blocks away, the Hilton charges $48 and further west, the Marriott Marquis tops at $65 to park an SUV.  The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge charges less than $25/day for stayover guests.  If you are staying at the hotel, give an Elite discount is reasonable.

Parking is generally a concession at most big Marriotts and the cost is based on the ground rents, the cost of staff and salaries and insurance for those cars they park.  There should be a way to comp some of these, not all, perks with little bottomline impact.  If a room costs $250 a night (cheap in Manhattan) the profit is?  I don't know, we'd have to be revenue experts (that Marriott hires) for an explanation.  But the cost of every room is expressed in terms of REVPAR, or revenue per average room, and includes unsolds as well as solds.

I hope that Marriott can strike a balance between discouraging and engocuraging the most frequent travelers in this dire economic period.  A few givewawys would go a  long way to making my day, as Clint (a neighbor) famously said.

Personally I could do without the turndown and chocolates myself, since these are perfunctory these days at most hotels other than the NYC Marquis, and not even available on other than the C Floor for other guests.

My intent was to stratify the list of elite "wants."   I am sure the Marriott leadership has a list of "needs."  We have to meet them in the middle.

onetiredpuppy Platinum

Things that are important to me

- Concierge lounge or free breakfast, but I really want access to the lounge 7 days a week.  I refuse to stay at a Courtyard due to this.  That and the point system is a mess when it comes to Courtyard's.  

- Free internet

- Points, lots of points

- Upgrades and I hate having to ask for it when I check in.  You should know before I hit the door that I'm coming and be ready to offer this to me.

- Free Parking

- Point Savers, this will often make or break it for me when it comes to where I'm going to stay and use my points.

- No black out dates.  I haven't run into any issues on this topic yet.

Thanks, my kind of list too!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping

Let's add ELITE CHECK-IN to the list of 'What matters most?' and get the discussion going again. 

The recently added ELITE Check-in counter at the Marriott Orlando World Center is extremely well-timed and warmly received. The OWC is hosting several large groups and the Lobby is very animated.  Although the OWC is at Disney's doorstep, people are spending less at the theme parks preferring to enjoy the hotel.  The OWC pool barely had enough lounge chairs these past days as temps soared into the high 80's. 

The three Marriott Vacation Club resorts, Imperial Palm Villas, Royal Palms and Sabal Palms have over 90% occupancy.  When I checked in at the Clubhouse, my welcome package included a Thank You note from Bill Marriott and a 500 point Arrival Gift.

Combining business with extended leisure travel is huge.  Amazingly, people drove very long distances.  The parking lot this week has plates from California, Minnesota, Texas and Ontario, Canada along with plates from many neighboring states.

Perhaps we might continue here, favoring discussion on 'What matters most?' when extending a business trip for leisure.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...