11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2012 9:19 AM by jroes006 RSS

Information Requested about Los Suenos

hotlanta Silver
Currently Being Moderated

My wife and I are flying into San Jose and staying at the Los Suenos resort in April 2009. I'm attempting to find out two pieces of information from those of you who have been there. I've read the blog information already but wanted some additional feedback if possible.

1) Renting a car versus taking a cab. If the price of a taxi or getting a driver is really $150 each way, it is going to be less expensive to rent a car and drive myself. I don't know that I'll use the car outside of going to/from the airport and hotel but is this what most of you have done? Everyone has their own personal preference I realize but if the roads are fairly well maintained and the route is safe, I'm leaning toward driving (if I can rent a vehicle that has an automatic transmission).

2) My wife and I will only be there for 4 days so I'm trying to narrow down the activities in the area that people enjoyed the most. Again, I realize this is a personal decision but we want to make sure we at least see the highlights of the area since we have such a short amount of time to spend.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Information Requested about Los Suenos
    grins1 Silver

Hi! My husband, daughter and I  stayed at the Los Suenos in April 2008.  We rented a car and drove first to Monteverde and Arenal after arriving in San Jose.  We back- tracked and then  drove down to the coast.  The road from San Jose is "curvey", slow and narrow but we found it enjoyable.  We stayed 3 days at the Los Suenos, drove into Jaco twice to pick up snacks and once for dinner. If you are there 4 days, rent a car then you can check out the coast on your own and will have a few more dining options. The 

food at the resort is good but we like to explore.  We ate over at the  Los Suenos marina one evening at the Hook em up or something like that---not quite sure if thats the name.  its a beautiful resort but there are prettier beaches for swimming.  It is HOT there!!  People are very friendly!!!  I would heed the travel book advice and not leave anything in your car.  Our rental had evidence of pry bar on the rear door.  Ours was a great vacation ----hope yours is, too.  Does the resort still provide shuttle service??  If it does, pick up your rental in Jaco--I think thats the name of the town nearest Los suenos.  that will save the hassle of drop off and pick up in San Jose.  The car rental there was SLOW by US standards.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

johnp77 Platinum
    I did the trip that you are planning last year I stayed one night at the Marriott in San Jose and several nights at Los Suenos. I rented a car right at the Marriott San Jose . The concierge was friendly and arranged for us at a great rate. Roads were safe but hilly enroute. The car provides flexibility to explore in Los Suenos which you will definitely enjoy ie do the croc tour on the river,canopy tour and the national park. Hire a guide in the Nat park tour as you will miss the wildlife without him

artmonger Platinum
    My family just returned from Los Suenos.  We decided to rent after being quoted the $150 one-way cost.  However, given the luggage for four adults, we needed a Hyundai Tucson size vehicle that cost about $485 for the week from Hertz.  The road from SJO airport is OK, but narrow, winding, and steep in places.  We chose not to drive it after dark given the driving habits of Costa Rican residents.  The resort has an inexpensive shuttle to Jaco, and cabs are easy to get.  We enjoyed the nearby canopy zip lines and the Manuel Antonio National Park.   

calman Platinum

Beautiful resort, you should have lots of fun we were there April 05. 

1-Regarding the car, even though I drove I would not suggest driving specially if it is only you and your wife, I had 5 of my family with me and we needed a van, but the the drive to the resort was very zig zaggy & mostly one lane going up and down the mountain kind of dangerous if you are not one of the locals, and that is the only thing that you would need the car for.

2- most of the the trips we did we were picked up from the hotel, like deep sea fishing (we caught a 20 pound dorado that the chef @ the marriott ended up cooking for us in 3 different ways) that was fun. also we went on a great white water rafting adventure that was amazing with professional photos that ended up being an amazing memory, only draw back was the drive to & from that spot ( about 4 hours each way on rough mostly scenic roads ) that we dreaded @ the beginning but was totally forgotten the next day and only the fun and great photos remember. one last thing was a beautiful monkey filled forest right by a beautiful beach that I can't remember it's name but is very famous and it is a full day thing & I think they provided food (sorry that was 4 years ago). hope that this info will help. Have fun

jroes006 Platinum 2 Reviews

Calman were you required to get two rooms for this location?  The reason I ask is because I have a family of 5 and all the kids are 8 and under so not excited about the two room option.  When they are older not an issue, but right now that option doesn't work. 

travelerbruce Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi;

I would not rent a car, the roads are very challenging to drive, young kids walking, animals crossing etc, once you get to the property, you have everything there, or if you take a day trip the tour company provides transportation, you can also walk down the beach , about 15 minutes to several local restuarants that are fine.....safe travels, ps: make sure you have some snacks and water with you for the taxi ride, its baout 2 hours ..... 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

We sat back and relaxed via a taxi.  

Just had a good time letting someone else drive.

We enjoyed the hotel situation very much and had the concierge arrange for driver who showed us around.  

My suggestion, is always to ride if you do not have to drive. 

drewer Gold 60 Reviews

My wife and I went to the brand new JW Marriott in Guanacaste, Costa Rica in January. We flew into Liberia which was 40 miles away.  We had the JW arrange for a private transfer...$150 each way.  It took us 1.25 hours to get to the hotel from the airport.  No highways...2 lane roads all the way.

One of my customers went to the Los Suenos resort a year ago and it takes almost 3 hours to get from San Jose to Los Suenos.  Look into the private transfer rather than a taxi.  Their roads are not like ours.  In the end...it is only money.

chrismc Platinum
    If it were me, I would take a cab.  The drive is not is straight forward as you might imagine it to be. Initially, the drive is on a highway.  As you approach a mountain range, things become a lot narrower and very windy.  Also, getting use to the road signs in Costa Rica takes a little time. The roads are not very consistent either. You have well maintained wide roads and very narrow roads that are filled with pot holes.  I would just pay the extra money and not go through  this stressful event on your vacation. 

millie Platinum
    Which airport is closer to the Los Suenos resort?

millie Platinum

Hi Hotlanta, just wondering how your trip went in Costa Rica (Los Suenos)? Any type of feedback would be appreciated. I'm going in September.

Thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...