11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2009 9:58 AM by elysium RSS

Emeritus (Lifetime) Status Explained

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Because the "most viewed" post refers to lifetime status questions and since several posts ask about Emeritus status, I thought this explanation and post worthwhile: A copy/paste of an e-mail from elite.member@marriott.com (I inquired how close I was to making Platinum Emeritus and go this reply): We have an Emeritus (Lifetime) status that offers Elite levels after certain criteria have been met. Emeritus Platinum status is offered after the following qualifications are met: • 12 years of membership with Marriott Rewards • One year as a Platinum Elite member. • 1,000 total qualifying nights. • 3,000,000 total points earned. Emeritus Gold status is offered after the following qualifications are met: • 12 years of membership with Marriott Rewards • One year as a Gold Elite member. • 800 total qualifying nights. • 2,000,000 total points earned. Emeritus Silver status is offered after the following qualifications are met: • 12 years of membership with Marriott Rewards • One year as a Silver Elite member. • 600 total qualifying nights. • 1,500,000 total points earned. There is no way to request an Emeritus status unless all qualifications have been met.

• Re: Emeritus (Lifetime) Status Explained
    bigal226 Gold

question: who is keeping track of nights and total points?

i have been a member for 26 years. have been silver for at least the last 15.

would appreciate if some one could tell us all if we would be told when we are close.

thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bigal226 Gold

question: who is keeping track of nights and total points?

i have been a member for 26 years. have been silver for at least the last 15.

would appreciate if some one could tell us all if we would be told when we are close.

thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Pingreeman,

Thanks so much for this information.  It is so interesting to see what it takes to get to these levels.

Hope we can all get to the levels we are looking for! 

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    As a person that recently made it to this level, all I can say is that it was hell on my family life during those few years. All of my earnings took place during a 6 year period and I missed a lot on the home front but I am happy to report that my kids are well adjusted and doing well and my wife is relieved that she's no longer a single mom. If I had to do it all again I would say reply with a resounding "NO WAY".

tjcnewyork Platinum

"All of my earnings took place during a 6 year period"

Personally, I thrive on traveling and should have been born with wings.  While I've had to manage up to 45% travel in a month when trade shows dictated, sustaining that level never exceeded 2-3 months max. Spending 166+ nights per year over six years to meet 1,000 nights is about half the year on the road. I agree with "No Way".  That amount of time away from home, friends and family is excessive bordering on 'burn out.'

Thankfully, I was able to combine business and leisure travel and have the benefit of traveling with family over summer breaks usually straddling the 4th of July.   Traveling with family while on business can be extremely demanding as well as costly.  Using points offsets the cost and rewards the people that mean the most to me.   

Now the entire family has acquired wings and road warrior status.  Rarely do I start a year with more than 200K points in the 'bank'.  So, it's highly unlikely that status beyond Platinum will ever be reached if 3,000,000 points is required.    

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Pingreeman:

Great post with all the details. I have three or four of these emails in my "Marriott" folder and all say the same thing, which you've relayed.  

One interesting tidbit is the mention (last year) by someone on the phone that the Emeritus status was formalized a while ago, about the time Platinum was instituted (was it 1998?) and there had been a loose interpretation of the rules in the first couple months and a few people got Lifetime status without making the magic three segment requirements.  Now, according to my Marriott source, the program was tightened and controlled at the Bethesda HQ, rather than some other location.  That accounts for the comment that "there is no way to request the status" in your received email. 

As you know there are other ways to be an Emeritus: if you fail to make Platinum one year but have already qualified for Lifetime Gold, then you'll get a card in the new year with a long term expiration date, say 2025.  So, making Emeritus Gold is not that bad and a nice consolation for staying at Marriott as long as we all have.

And for the post by NY, I have almost a couple million points in my account, but have spent nearly a million at selected hotels--almost all at the Marquis at Times Square. I find that the points spent should be at the most expensive places, perhaps a foolish assumption, and that's the reason for staying at the Category 7 and now 8 places.

elysium Platinum

Pingreeman,

Thanks for the post.  You spelled this a little more clearly than it was explained in a post several months ago.

I called the Marriott Rewards line a couple of weeks ago to see where I was.  I am almost there.  It feels good!

• 12 years of membership with Marriott Rewards (achieved April 2009)
    • One year as a Platinum Elite member. (I have about 6 or 7 years, the last 2 as Platinum Premier)
    • 1,000 total qualifying nights. (achieved)
    • 3,000,000 total points earned. (89% achieved, only 330K to go)

I should earn most of those remaining points this year. Since I already have my 100+ nights for this year being PL in 2010 is not an issue.

I was also told that the sytem keeps track of the lifetime status automatically.  It won't be posted or kick in until you stop qualifing for it with regular stays which has not been a problem for me.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
    good luck to all us almosts!

browell Platinum

I don't know if I should feel stupid or mad....  I've been a member since 2000, Platinum every year, and never knew or even HEARD about Premier or Emeritus status!  Since I saw no benefit for staying over 75 nights, I would just go maintain my Platinum Priority Club and Diamond Hilton status..... Geesh, stupid me.

Sorry to rant, but now I have new Marriott Targets to go after, Emeritus here I come!  

crmroadwarrior Platinum
    Apologies if this was answered somewhere else, but what are the benefits of making the Emeritus Status?

elysium Platinum

The benefit of Emeritus status is that you do not have to stay 75 nights a year to earn Platinum.  This will come in handy if I eveer get a non traveling job or retire.

The only benefit I see to Platinum Premier is that it puts you ahead of regular Platinums on the list for free suite upgrades.  This is my 7th week at the Marriott Riverwalk in San Antonio and I have been upgraded 6 out of 7 times.  The hotel only has 5 suites.  The one week I missed was due to the fact that a convention in town booked all the suites.