3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2009 1:13 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Points about points

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just heard that a web site called Pointmaven.com has filled the void--the one that prevented all of us from being overwhelmed by Frequent Traveler news and points use changes!

Just kidding.  The site is actually quite useful. You plug in a location, and a program or programs use use and the site lists (with a map) all promotions available.  Now we need someone to list all the hotel loyalty programs in a matrix, with advantages and disadvantages based on stay frequency, locale, membership tier, et.

Hope every can view the site.  I'd be interested to hear with others think of it.

• Re: Points about points
    tjcnewyork Platinum

While the premise of Pointmaven.com is useful, the user interface is poor and the execution suffers.  Filtering by Marriott displayed a Google map, a list of hotels and promotions specific to each property.  The integration with Marriott.com appears incomplete, also you have to be logged into Marriott.com in order for the links to work. 

Thumbs up on Pointmaven.com's Google map integration, it is easier than Marriott.com  One feature of Marriott's Find and Reserve that I really like is Search "Along a route".   For uncharted weekend getaways, it's easy to locate hotels along the interstate. Pointmaven.com could improve with similar functionality.    

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I found some dead links on the site and reported them to the authors (listed ones).  Also if you use a proxy server or VPN you're going to have a ghard time getting the links to work.  Wonder as well how many times per day the information is updated?  Not many I would presume unless they have a large staff!

Anyway, the net is a wonderful and sometimes scary thing!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Broadband not proxy server or VPN.  The pointmaven.com solution requires automated integration of datafeeds from the participating brands updated multiple times a day in order to be accurate and useful.  Not there.    

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...