7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 8:33 PM by GemPrincess RSS

New England tips?

sherrill Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

First time headed to NE in fall .Want to fly to Boston and sightsee @ 3days. then up through Vermont--fall color, some of Maine, Quebec--Montreal? then week in timeshare in N.H.

With week in timeshare, and approx. one more week, is that time to do all? Suggestions appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Nashua Merrimack
Nashua, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Nashua
Burlington, Vermont, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Concord, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Concord
Concord, New Hampshire, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Concord
Concord, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Concord
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Manchester-Boston Regional Airport
Gilford, New Hampshire, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Gilford
Hooksett, New Hampshire, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Hooksett
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Portsmouth Seacoast
New Castle, New Hampshire, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
North Conway, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn North Conway
  • Re: New England tips?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Hi EmilyB

That's a lot of territory to cover! Many think of fall foliage in New England and rarely consider the scenic beauty of the seacoast - my personal favorite.  Up until Columbus Day, Monday, October 12, 2009 towns and villages along the entire New England seacoast from eastern Connecticut and Rhode Island to Massachusetts, New Hampshire and southern Maine are thriving.  Take a fall stroll on the beach or boardwalk, dine alfresco on New England clam chowder, whole belly clams, lobster, fish & chips: 

• Mystic Seaport, CT
    • Watch Hill, RI
    • Newport, RI
    • Historic Newburyport, MA
    • Cape Ann, Marblehead, Gloucester, MA
    • Hampton Beach, NH
    • Portsmouth, NH **, ***
    • York Beach, ME
    • Ogunquit, Perkins Cove, ME
    • Old Orchard Beach, ME

Let's not forget Octoberfest.  Many of the towns listed have some festivity.  Newport, Rhode Island is one of them.   Boston of course, thrives anytime of the year.  Among many historic places of interest, don't miss Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market.  We love to stay at Marriott's Boston Custom House. 

http://www.timeshares.marriott-vacations.com/common/marriott-timeshare/images/resorts/ch/destination.jpg

Over the past two years we have been exploring the Connecticut River Valley from Essex to Hartford.* One of the attractions in Essex is the Steam Train which becomes the North Pole Express after Thanksgiving.  The Steam Train is so popular, we have yet to get tickets. Main St, Middletown, CT the home of Wesleyan is stunning in the fall.

We're shifting focus this year and planning trips along the Hudson Valley to Lake Champlain, Burlington VT and Montreal. Tips are welcome!

* New England Anytime of Year

** Good Value: Fairfield Inn Portsmouth Seacoast

*** A Gem on the New Hampshire Coast-Wentworth-by-the-Sea

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Sounds like a great trip!

You have great ideas, enjoy Concord, NH, S. Conway, NH., and Stowe, Vermont!

The trip to Montreal can be a challenge if you are not ready for customs, and have everything you need for the experience.  Hope you enjoy a "Green Mountain" breakfast with "Corn Cob" smoked meats! 

tjcnewyork Platinum

In 1609 Henry Hudson sailed up the Hudson River which is being commemorated by Celebrate New York 400 Years, but Vermont commemorates the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's exploration of the region and the lake that bears his name. More like an inland sea that connects to the Atlantic Ocean via the St. Lawrence Waterway in Canada, Lake Champlain has been a center of commerce for 4 centuries.  Lumber and stone from Vermont made its way to Europe by boat.

Lake Champlain is bordered by communities in upstate New York on the west and communities in Vermont on the east.  One of my favorite places to visit is Burlington, VT.  Burlington Harbor in particular is the host of the Vermont Lake Champlain Quadricentennial and the recent Burlington International Waterfront Festival July 2-14,2009.  

Upon returning from our vacation, we drove up to Burlington for the weekend and stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Burlington Harbor.  The Courtyard and Hilton next door overlook the Burlington waterfront and the Adirondack Mountains to the west.  We redeemed points for our stay and enjoyed an upgrade to a high floor with a lake view.

The Courtyard Burlington Harbor is very upscale, contemporary and the rooms are classic Courtyard with darkwood stained furnishings and brightly colored accents.  The lobby, lounge and cafe area are located on the second floor so that the lake is visible throughout. A fireplace lounge is the centerpiece of the lobby with carved Vermont stone abstract sculptures. Over the weekend and alternate weekends during the Quadricentennial celebration, the Courtyard hosts a jazz band - an unexpected but welcome treat.

If you're looking to explore New England, I highly recommend visiting Burlington, VT and staying at the Courtyard Burlington Harbor.  Within a 5 block walking radius, there are shops, restaurants, cafes and boutiques.  Church St. is closed to vehicles and pedestrians only making for a very festive atmosphere. Stay tuned for photos!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Emily,

Having lived in Maine for fifteen years I can offer some suggestions.  Fall is the best time for a trip.  It's too crowded in the summer, but in the early  fall you get the best of everything -- good weather, changing leaves, etc.  You can start with the Portland Waterfront, which is fantastic.  Then if you travel up to the midcoast, you'll see some of the seascape Maine is famous for while enjoying some lobsters in Rockland or Camden.  And don't miss Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor.  It's great for hiking, spectacular views, and history.

I strongly recommend continuing up to Québec.  It's only about a 4-hour drive from central Maine on route 201. The landscape along the route of mountains and lakes is beautiful. I have been many times and last November stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, which is a little hard to find but was a lovely hotel.  Québec is the only part of North America that feels European.  From the Plains of Abraham and the cliffs overlooking the Saint Lawrence you can almost feel what it is must have been like in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.  There are great museums of early French-Canadian and Indian heritage.  And the restaurants are wonderful!  I strongly recommend Le Continental and Aux Anciens Canadiens.

Montréal is also a great city, though it doesn't have the same old world feel as Québec.  It's also better combined with a Vermont trip because it's further from  Maine because of the mountains.

Enjoy!

tjcnewyork Platinum

All,

While on business in New England or the mid-Atlantic consider extending your trip for leisure to enjoy the natural scenic beauty of the lakes, mountains, river valleys and seacoast of the area. Autumn in North America in particular is a time when the days get shorter and temperatures plunge.  The decrease in daylight and cold trigger trees to shed their leaves.  Once verdant and green, the leaves turn into brilliant colors of gold, red and orange. 

With clear skies forecast, I had the opportunity to experience central New Hampshire.  Our roadtrip started last Thursday, just in time to experience the peaking of color in this area.  The map below from Weather.com* provided a guide on where to set a destination.  Not shown are I-89, I-91 and I-93 which crisscross Vermont and New Hampshire.  I selected I-93 for three reasons: 

1. I-93 runs from the base of New Hampshire along the Merrimack River valley into the Lake Winnepesaukee, Lake Squam and White Mountains resort areas.  This provided an opportunity to experience leaves just turning in the southern part to brilliant colors in the center and northern part of the state. 
    2. Along the interstate, there are several cities and towns where we drove through to sightsee including Nashua, Merrimack, Manchester, Hooksett, Concord, Plymouth and Lincoln; not to mention the dining opportunities. 
    3. Marriott has a number of brands to choose from including some new properties with very affordable rates just right as 'base camp' for a long weekend adventure.

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/special/fall_peak_ne_720x486.jpg

* Normal Peak Times for Fall Color Courtesy of Weather.com

Marriott associates are very knowledgeable. Don't let a Front Desk badge deceive you, most we interacted with can double as concierge offering tips about what to see, expected travel time and where to dine.    Being near the Atlantic, choice seafood is unbelievably fresh, plentiful and affordable.

In several prior posts, I mentioned places to stay in New Hampshire.  This time we stayed at the year-old Fairfield Inn & Suites Hooksett and the brand new Towneplace Suites Gilford.  Both have king suites, refrigerators, microwaves, complimentary internet and complimentary breakfast including waffles. Aside from the fact that broadband at the Towneplace Suites Gilford is browser dependent (Internet Explorer), these properties deliver a smooth check-in, spotless contemporary and smoke-free rooms with flat panel TVs and have extremely professional, knowledgeable and friendly associates.

Further north in the White Mountains there is a brand new Residence Inn in North Conway.  We hope to stay there soon.

See also:  Fall Foliage - New Hampshire

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Emily

To set the mood for your trip check out my friend's FLIKR series on Fall in New England and have a wonderful time:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79035299@N00/sets/72157622010091236

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Nashua Merrimack
    Nashua, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Nashua
    Burlington, Vermont, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Burlington Harbor
    Concord, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Concord
    Concord, New Hampshire, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Concord
    Concord, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Concord
    Manchester, New Hampshire, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Manchester-Boston Regional Airport
    Gilford, New Hampshire, USA TownePlace Suites By Marriott TownePlace Suites Gilford
    Hooksett, New Hampshire, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Hooksett
    Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn Portsmouth Seacoast
    New Castle, New Hampshire, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
    North Conway, New Hampshire, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn North Conway

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...