5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 9:03 PM by tjdmarlton RSS

Gold to Platinum Status

tjdmarlton Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Had 64 nights in 2008, but recently saw my status change from Gold to Platinum.  Anybody have any insight?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold to Platinum Status
    rainbowwill Platinum 2 Reviews

Hello tjdmarlton,

Fifty nights for Gold and seventy-five nights for Platinum are numbers that guarantee the level.  Marriott can award it at a lower number.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Do you own timeshare with Marriott Vacation Club?  The rules changed June 30, 2008.  Any nights spent at a home resort or exchanged through Interval International where you presented your Marriott Rewards # at check-in now count towards qualifying you for the next Elite membership level.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm in agreement with the other two answers you got and would add a third reason it might have happened:  your stay history was considered robust enough, especially at the end of the annual period to have you comped into Platinum Status.  The rules say 75 nights, but there are and have been exceptions.

Several years back I had a conversation with a Marriott Rewards associate who mentioned that in days gone by, there were plenty of PEs, as in Platinum Emeretus status given out, and not with the three million points, 12 years in the program, and 1000 elite night stays as required.  Now (as in two years ago) there was, this associate said, a clamp down and PEs were not given out unless the three requirements were all met.

So, there are times when the rules are the rules and other times when they are bent--as in your case. But that's a good thing--enjoy that status and the 50% points bonus.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    My brother in law had the same experience!

tjdmarlton Platinum 60 Reviews
    Thanks for all the responses.  With no Marriott Vacation Club credits in 2008, I can conclude the 64 nights in 2008 coupled with another 12 nights so far in 2009 were the basis for my upgraded status.  With many of the recent posts highlighting the ongoing degradation of the Marriott Reward Program, my experience may be more the exception than the rule.  I guess I should be thankful.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...