0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2010 1:11 PM by anadyr RSS

One more thing to worry about

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recently I got an email that skipped my spam catching software and did not look just right, so I clicked on its properties and discovered it was not from the organization that it purported to be. In addition, the cookie was from a third party, so I deleted it.

A company called Markmonitor Incorporated reports that this so-called "brand-jacking" is on the rise:  Fraudulent emails with trademarks and logos from real companies appearing with more regularity.

I always check the properties of any suspicious web sites before doing anything with them.  If you have a good virus checker (I use the Symantek anti-virus corporate edition, Spam Assassin and other gatekeepers) you should have few if any of these false web hits arriving in your computer's inbox.

But just like criminals seem to be one step ahead of those tryin to catch them, the cyber crooks are clever in getting around anything we do to prevent their successes.

Marriott sites can be brand jacked as well as any other.  Beware if the email looks just a little off.  I was.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...