6 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2009 1:03 PM by nuhusker RSS

TownePlace Suites - How are they?

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
I have always been pleased with Marriott properties, but have yet to stay at their TownePlace Suites. How does it compare to Residence Inn or Springhill Suites? One clear difference is that they offer no breakfast, but with one's own kitchen that seems insignificant to me. Are they more cheaply constructed and thus 'noisier' or are they really just about as nice as a Residence Inn? Any info will be greatly appreciated. I have a 6 night stay coming up in Anaheim and am wondering what to expect. Thanks for any help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: TownePlace Suites - How are they?
    nycuws10025 Platinum

Greetings from the Anaheim TownPlace Suites.  My spouse and I stay here at least once a year and love the place.

You'll be quite comfortable here.  This particular hotel is not cheaply built - there is virtually no transmission of sound from room to room, although you may hear the pitter-patter of little feet from floors above, so we always ask for the top floor. Also, despite an active train track just behind the property and a fairly busy street (South State College Blvd), the building is insulated well enough that you will not be disturbed by noises from outside the building either.  As with any hotels with connecting rooms, that can be a sound source which is easily avoidable by asking for a non-connecting room when you check in.

You have correctly indicated that there is no breakfast served at this brand.  This particular TPS does have a full kitchen with four-burner stove, oven, microwave oven, full-size refrigerator and dishwasher so if you want to cook, you've got everything you need.  Coffee is served in the lobby and in the late afternoon, there are cookies, but nothing that could be considered a full meal.

In the area, if you're going to cook, for groceries turn right out of the parking lot onto S. State College and not too far away (I am estimating - maybe two miles?) is an Albertson's grocery store.  Also, in the same shopping center complex where the hotel is located, there is a Denny's restaurant which offers guests either a 10% discount for eat-in or free delivery to your room.

If you're a food snob like I am, you'll find a wide variety of excellent restaurants at a wide range of price points in the Anaheim / Santa Ana/ Orange County area.  Some of my favorites include The Brasserie, The Cellar (both French), The Napa Rose in the Grand Californian Hotel on Disney property.  If you like your "moo", there are lots of great steakhouses nearby.  Two of my favorites are Morton's, and Ruth's Cris (which is located in the Courtyard) both are on Harbor Blvd.  Signficantly less high-brow, but worth a visit nonetheless is Mrs Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park - some of the best fried chicken you'll ever taste.

If you're headed for Disneyland, there is a shuttle to the park just outside the front desk.  Depending on the size of your party, that might be more cost effective than driving and paying to park.   

For Knott's Berry Farm (lots of thrill-rider type roller coasters) you'll definitely need a car.  Ditto for SeaWorld, Magic Mountain and Universal Studios - all of which are about an hour away up in the Los Angeles area.

Be warned that Anaheim Stadium, home of the Angels is just across Katella Blvd and the Mighty Ducks hockey team play at Honda Arena, further east on Katella.  On "event days" there is a LOT of traffic so leave yourself extra time if you have to be someplace at a specific time.

The TPS has a pool and jacuzi and, of course, free wireless.  If you're eligible, check for the AAA and/ or Sr Citizen rates which will often give a better price.

I hope you enjoy your stay at the TPS in Anaheim when you're here.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Thanks for the high level and the detail.  Any postcards (photos) to share?  We're headed to SoCal in late June/July so TPS Anahiem is one more option to consider.  As a rule, we prefer a King, and have only encountered Queen size at TPS in New England.  Do you recall the bedsize at Anahiem TPS?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    Great review.  Always like to hear about the good ones.  TJC -- If you're thinking of staying in Anaheim, consider the Marriott Suites...very nice and always decent AAA rates when I stayed there twice in the past.  No C-lounge, but comp breakfast every morning from the buffet.  Convenient location to the freeway, disney land, and many other attractions.  And if you're golfing, check out the San Clemente muni.  It's 20 min away by car, and a super nice public course.

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Thanks for the tip, NUHusker, I'll check-out the Suites as well.

nycuws10025 Platinum

Hi TJCNewYork,

There are only Queen-sized beds at the TPS Anaheim. 

I agree with NJHusker's suggestion of the Marriott Suites.  A very nice hotel.  As noted, there is no CL, so breakfast is offered in the dining room on weekdays.

Also to be considered is the Marriott on Convention Center Way.  If you're eligible, try the AAA rate. On this same trip (I stayed at TPS but put the rest of the family at the Marriott so they could walk to Disney if desired) I was able to get the AAA rate at the Marriott for $89/ night.

I know you're aware of my thoughts on dumbed-down CL offerings from your comments on my Philadelphia post.  Ditto for the Anaheim Marriott - the nightly cocktail hour offerings are a far cry from what they once were, although breakfast is still respectable.

Parking is rather dear at the Marriott - $27/day.  I don't recall what it was at the Marriott Suites as it has been several years since I stayed there.  Parking at TPS is free.

The Marriott "Wired for business" rate, usually $9.95 at most Marriotts where I've stayed, is $12.95 at the Anaheim Marriott.  Since I never travel without the laptop, that is my prime reason for staying at brands other than Marriott and Renaissance - Free Internet at all but the highest priced brands.  To me, that's like having to pay for cocktails in First Class on an airline! (But having them offered for free in economy)

I always enjoy reading your posts.  I'm sorry I can't offer anything substantial to your MVC posts as I don't participate in that product - but I have learned a great deal from what you have written in your posts.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
    FYI -- Free parking at the Anaheim Marriott Suites, and I got comp breakfast on weekends also.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...