5 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2009 12:30 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Unfair 60% increase in points needed to stay at a Marriott!

eggheadkwt Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi..

This is really a Big issue that we all (Marriott Owners) should complaint about. I am a VERY LOYAL Marriott Vacation Club Owner, I used to trade my weeks into points and stay at Marriott Hotels all over the world. Today, I logged into the website to make a booking and was SHOCKED!!! Most category 7 Hotels were transformed into Category 8!! Points needed to stay in any Marriott Hotel was increased by 60% !! In this case and with the economic situation happening all over the world, no one will be able to travel anywhere! I don't understand why Marriott did this? If I stay with points at any Marriott, I will spend money on other things like restaurants, Spas...etc

Example: I used to stay at Marriott Grosvenor House in London, UK for 150000 points a week...Today its 240000 points a week!! Come on people the increase is not reasonable at all!! I am speachless, Don't know what to say, Please share this topic with me and let me know what do you think?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unfair 60% increase in points needed to stay at a Marriott!
    tjcnewyork Platinum

In his blog article, 'Marriott Pulls A Fast One,' the*point*man asserts that Marriott actually raised the points needed for a category 7 stay by 63%.  Excessive, unreasonable and unfair?  Maybe, but it's a sign of the times. Paid or points, everything costs more. I don't blame you for the sticker shock.

As a timeshare owner, I'm certain you are aware that annual maintenance fees rose significantly too.  Since Katrina, insurance premiums and energy costs have soared. Given the global recession, the cost of bad debt rises too.  Many timeshare resorts have just completed costly upgrades, others are due.  The same is true on the hotel side.  The cost to operate has outpaced room rates, Marriott has to make adjustments to stay in business.  As a Marriott owner, myself; I think it is in our best interests that Marriott stay in business.

For Marriott and owners, the diminishing maintenance dollar to rewards points conversion ratio merits serious scrutiny.  There are more than (350,000) 390,000 Marriott owners globally.  With 70% of them opting to trade for points every year, Marriott Rewards is extremely popular. I discovered earlier this evening that in the US most MVCI resorts have 1 and 2 bedroom villas available for point redemption for a 7 night stay at an affordable 115,000 points.  This compares very favorably with a 7 night stay in a standard room at a Category 6 hotel for 150,000 points.

Points do not appreciate, gain interest and are not inflation-proof, so it's a better value to redeem them as you earn them. Your best bet is to book a vacation combining paid nights with points.  Pay your first night and request an upgrade when you reserve.  Then, modify your reservation with additional nights using points.   

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

luv2travl Platinum

This is a question for TCJNewYork,

You mentioned that :  70% of MVCI owners opt to trade points every year, and that most MVCI resorts have 1 and 2 bedroom villas available for point redemption for a 7 night stay at an affordable 115,000 points.

Is this available only to MVCI owners?  Is there a particular web site that  offers this option to non owners( using MR points to stay in a timeshare )?   Or can you call the property directly?   Occasionally I have noticed that a MVCI property will pop up as an option to pay cash for a night, but what about using points?  Any help you can give would be appreciated.

pontecoast Silver
    So was there ever an answer to the question of whether you can use points for the Marriott timeshare properties, and is it limited to timeshare owners?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    I have the same question as luv2travl. Where is this award level published?

tjcnewyork Platinum

Postscript 5/29:  Luv2travel and Mikieg-the Pointsaver rates quoted in a prior message are published at Marriott.com.  For example, a search in Florida with brand equal to Marriott Vacation Club and check-in date 5/30/2009 with check-out of 6/6/2009 brought up 3 resorts Cypress Harbor*, Grande Vista** and Royal Palms*** starting at 115,000 points.  Click Select to show what's available.

Greetings all:

Affordability strikes a chord! One of the enhancements of the 2009 Marriott Rewards Program that I really like is the broader participation of Marriott Vacation Club.+  Points may be used to rent villas if you are an owner or non-owner.  Advance planning is absolutely essential.  During off-season, Pointsavers are even available.  Marriott timeshare owners do have competitive advantage - especially if you own multiple weeks. Many Marriott owners have multiple weeks at multiple resorts.  For the non-owner or owner with a single week, a workaround strategy is to combine paid nights with points.

• Use the Find and Reserve feature at Marriott.com to search for published rates paid or points, locations and availability. Stay tuned for examples.

+ A few noteworthy items:

• Marriott owners who choose to rent at another Vacation Club resort can do so at a preferred or owner rate.  This pertains to paid or points.
    • Since Marriott builds villas in popular family vacation destinations, availability to rent will vary by location, season and number of units. 
    • There are 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas that can sleep 4 to 10 people depending upon the number of beds and sofabeds.  Rack rates and owner rates vary.
    • The highest number of villas are in the 2 bedroom category.  With a fully equipped kitchen, 2 baths, washer/dryer and a queen size sofabed in the living room, these villas can accomodate a family of 6 for 7 nights or more. 
    • Some villas feature balconies, whirlpool tubs and handicapped access. Again, rates will vary by features.
    • Villas overlooking a pool, ocean or golf course will also vary by rate.
    • Marriott.com does list 3 bedroom villas for rent, paid rates are loaded and available online.  Call Elite Reservations or the individual resort for owner rates and/or availability using Rewards points.   

Cypress Harbor

** Grande Vista

*** Royal Palms

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...