5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2012 11:50 AM by californian RSS

Hawaii-Marriott properties-not same as mainland

globe_trotter Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello

I just came back from a one week vacation in Hawaii. I am a platinum member and used my reward points to stay 3 nights at Waikiki marriott in Ohau and 4 nights at Waikoloa Marritott in Kona.

First of all, the new marriott reward point redemptions sucks. The properties have been upgraded to one level above which requires more points. More over these properties charged me additional 5,000 points for upgrade. No more complementary platinum upgrade. So there is really no incentive to make it to platinum level.

Also when I checked in at Waikiki I was told in no uncertain terms that the Hawaii properties are different and subject to different terms.

None of the Haewaiian properties have concierge's lounge. No concierge floor. That means no free water in the room, no free drinks or no free nothing.

I would not recommended any one to burn so many reward points to basically get a room to stay at a Hawaiian property. You might be better off staying at a different property. Particularly the next door Hilton Waikoloa is much much better for a family with kids than the Marriott at Waikoloa.

Hilton Waikoloa has changed my mind about continuing to do business with Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hawaii-Marriott properties-not same as mainland
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Paid stays have comp upgrade priority.  On points, upgrades depend upon availability.  For a category 6 Marriott resort, one workaround is to book the first night at each hotel as paid and request the upgrade through Platinum; reserve using points for the other nights. Very rarely if ever will they switch rooms during a stay.

If you did not redeem 5,000 points at reservation for the upgrade, write to Customer.Care@Marriott.com and request a refund of the upgrade points plus $100 compensation for the inconvenience.  Write separate e-mails for the Waikiki and Waikoloa.  If there were other issues experienced including Front Desk attitude at check-in, I would request a full refund of points redeemed for your stay.  

Many of the franchisees fail to understand the terms and conditions of Platinum and in so doing may make decisions that are in breach of contract.   This entitles the guest to full refund.

Good luck. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

In the past, I was told that if I had 2 reservations back to back, they had to be in the same room category or they would not take them.  If that is still in effect your work around would not work.

dedeaton Platinum 2 Reviews

Agree completely. It is a shame that redeeming points in Hawaii is not very good.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Unfortunately, Hawaii properties are "resorts" and therefore, are not required to offer CL or free breakfast amenities for Elite guests.  I, however, agree that it's unfortunate that so many restrictions are placed on MR Elite members in Hawaii, especially when traveling on points.

ptomczik Platinum

No free water in the room?  Here's an idea, get a cup and go to the sink.  But I guess if wasting plastic is your idea of a good time...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...