5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2009 1:01 AM by james30 RSS

Renaissance question- Points or Amenities?

bellesie Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings everyone, first post, but not a newbie to Marriott (well, maybe, I'm not nearly the road warriors that many that post here seem to be!)... this is the first year I've received Platinum status, and when I checked in now to the Cleveland Renaissance (my home away from home), I've been asked if I want "Points or Amenities". I've looked through the Marriott site, and I can't seem to find anything that tells me what these amenities might be. Can anyone here shed some light on this for me?  I guess next week I can always ask, but my first response is always "POINTS Please!"

• Re: Renaissance question- Points or Amenities?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Amenities:  At full service Marriott hotels the amenities are acutally small, but nice snack items: a small bottle of wine, cheese and crackers, ice cream, those kinds of things.  If you are building up your balance I'd always recommend taking the 500 points option. That is the equivalent of spending 50 dollars at the hotel in terms of points value.

At Marriott's other brands the points are fewer and the amenities are normally one item from the little food and sundries shop at Residence Inns and Courtyards.  Again, take the points.

If there's an issue with your reservation I've found most associates willing to comp both--points and amenities. And if course there's the elite guarantee about dollars for room type nonavailabilty.

To show how old I am--in the "good old days," when I was a habitue of certain very crowded and expensive east coast Mattiott hotels, it was a different world.  The personnel who staffed the Concierge Lounges were experts, some with degrees from the French Cordon Bleu Academy, who arrived early each day (lounges were open 7 days then) to prepare individualized silver trays for Platinum Members.  It was not unusual to find fresh flowers, exotic cheeses, artisan breads and fruits paired with an excellent wine of champagne! Garde Manger was their forte!  And a personal note was added to each tray as well.

Like most things (anyone remember Pan Am's International First Class foodservice?), times change, we change, and yet we carry on. (not our bags, just ourselves)

But I digress: take the points!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

texaswarrior Platinum 8 Reviews

Excellent Post !! Newbie to the forums but not to Marriot Rewards - I too remember the good ol' days!

Like you sometimes I scratch my head wondering where the exclusive Platinum Members reception went - wondering whilst i'm clasping a small free tub of ice cream from the Market Stall!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bellesie Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks so much! Seems like everywhere is trimming down... I used to get a complimentary beverage from the bar, and the rooms had mouth wash AND body wash, in addition to the bars of soap... the little things that make me happy!

Personalized notes welcoming you with delicious goodies? Wow! 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes it was nice to have a  note on a silver tray, but these things were expected in a 350 dollar a night (corporate rate) room.  I think that hotels, like any other service industry, expand and contract their services based on the ecomony and their bottom line.  But the advent of the loyalty programs created (in my view) an additional layer of expectations and amenities.

The hope that I have is that Marriotts will continue to recognize the value that we bring to them.  To use a biolgical analogy, we have a Symbiotic relationship with Marriott--we need them and they most cetrtainly need us!

Let's focus on keeping the good things we have when we stay with Marriotts--I think they are listening to honest concerns, and hope we can get to a point where profit and service do not mean less for all of us frequent travelers.

james30 Platinum
    I always take the points.  Most full service Marriotts have the wine and cheese available in the concierge lounge.  Resident Inns, Courtyards offer a snack from the market (ice cream bar, chips, frozen entree, etc.) instead of points so, again, I recommend points.  Welcome.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...