5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2009 5:06 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott Vacation Club Rewards

ericphl Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I received a call in the Fall of 2008 asking me if I wanted to take a trip to a Vacation Club for a greatly reduced rate of ~$300 for 5 days/4 nights, the catch being I sit through a 1 hr presentation at the end of my stay.  I chose to go to Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas, which is still under construction, yet still gorgeous.  Anyhow, I am a Gold member and gave my rewards number when I checked in.

I never received credit (nights and/or points).  I waited 2 weeks after I returned and still nothing.  I submitted a missing stay request to no avail.  Then followed up by calling Vacation Club customer service that said they would get back with me and didn't.  I can't believe that I didn't receive anything as far as night credit or points for my stay.  Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have any further suggestions on how I may get credit for my stay?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Vacation Club Rewards
    tjcnewyork Platinum

EricPHL - Do you recall how you booked the Preview Package? Did MVCI or a third party handle the transaction, or did you pay the $300 at check-out?  Who issued the receipt? 

I booked a Preview Package to Aruba several years back through an agent in a Marriott hotel in Washington DC.  When I learned that the hotel would be paid by the agent's company, and that I would not receive points or credit for the nights, I canceled.  I had to dispute the credit card charge.  This also happened to a friend that I referred.

My hunch is that the points went to the third party that booked your Preview Package.  Since Frenchman's Cove got paid for the stay, I would argue that they are still responsible for awarding you points.  Write to Customer.Care@Marriott.com They will intervene by contacting the hotel, MVCI and the vendor.  If you don't receive the desired results, request escalation to Customer Care Executive Office in Salt Lake. 

As a Gold Elite member, emphasize that you are entitled to your points and a full refund for the inconvenience, deceptive practices and breach of contract.

Good luck. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ericphl Gold 1 Reviews
    Thanks for the response.  MVCI called me directly and issued the receipt for my stay as well.  I am going to write to Customer Care.  I feel I should definitely be credited with either stays and/or points.  Hopefully, Marriott will do the right thing here.

tjcnewyork Platinum
    Keep us posted.  If you picked the 15,000 points option for the 90 minute sales tour, that will take 6-8 weeks to post.  Hold onto the sales' business card - just in case. 

ericphl Gold 1 Reviews

TJCNewYork,

I finally received a response from an MVCI Customer Care representative.  Below is the stated response I received from the Executive Office.

"As stipulated in the Marriott Rewards term and conditions, promotional packages are not eligible for points or Elite night credit because the accommodations used for this offer were secured using a discounted rate provided by the accommodating establishment.  I apologize sincerely for any confusion or miscommunication you may have experienced in regard to this matter.  In response to your request for a full refund of your preview package, I further apologize that Marriott Vacation Club shall not honor your request for a refund as you participated in the preview offer and took advantage of the discounted 4 night stay at Marriott’s Frenchman’s Cove Resort."

What makes it worse is that I stayed the prior night at the adjacent property, Marriott's Frenchman's Cove, and they were running a MVCI Preview Frenchman's Reef and receive 10,000 rewards points.  I figured I was doing that anyhow and would be credited with those points at the very least.  Safe to say I am disappointed with the way Marriott has handled this request.

Just spoke to the representative that denied my request, gave me the token goodwill gesture of 5,000 rewards points.  Can't say that I am happy but better than nothing.

tjcnewyork Platinum

EricPHL

Be persistent. Continue to voice your dissatisfaction. Re-escalate and ask to speak with an executive in Customer Care. You are Gold Elite and demonstrated your loyalty to Marriott and are entitled to receive customer satisfaction with night credits, points, a refund or all three.

Do your homework and Google for legal precedent, you may find something to back up your case keeping in mind that Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions are subject to applicable laws and Frenchman's Cove is in the Virgin Islands, a territory of the United States subject to US laws.  The 2009 Marriott Terms and Conditions aren't as cut and dry as described, see for yourself.  It would be interesting to have the 2008 Terms which apply to your Fall 2008 stay:

Also, watch your terminology, there is no such thing as "Marriott Vacation Club Rewards"  While we all know what you are referring to, for clarity in communications with Marriott, the program is officially trademarked as "Marriott Rewards".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...