22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2009 5:08 PM by mikiegfla RSS

Suggestion for Marriott Rewards Program

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This is the year when we've watched our travel budget shrink, our 401K disappear, and our spirits drop.  I got to thinking that Marriott will be seeing an across-the-board decrease in loyal customers staying and that Marriott could proactively change this to benefit the corporation and of course, to work for us.

Here's my idea:  Why not create a momentum system for renewal and recognition of Marriott Rewards' most loyal customers?  Renewal of levels would be based on a longer pattern of loyalty, not just 12 months. This would recognize not just stays within the past twelve months, but say the past 36 or 48 months.

I've posted here in the past my feeling that Marriott would be wise to begin allowing rollover nights, those in excess of the 75 needed for Platinum renewal, as a way to compensate for reduced travel in economic hard times, like the ones were in now. A Momentum Program would recognize us, the frequent traveler as the clientele that pays and stays the most and needs to be helped make lean years work for all.

• Re: Suggestion for Marriott Rewards Program
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Speaking with a friend at Marriott, owner occupancy on the timeshare side has increased at many resorts; but renter occupancy has slipped about 30%.  The slippage on the hotel side is more significant, in fact, they are struggling with the increased cost to operate in a down market.

Rollover nights or a Rollover Credit is a great suggestion, but I think it will take more than that to restore confidence levels and regain loyalty.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stalexang Platinum

I like that idea, but I think the best long-term incentive is the way my preferred airline does it.  They track lifetime stats.  For my airline, if you fly 1 million lifetime miles, you get lifetime Silver.  2 million lifetime miles = lifetime Gold.  3 million lifetime miles = lifetime Platinum.

That way, if you are a good Marriott customer for many many years, you can be rewarded by getting a permanent status.

For road warriors like me, if I stay at Marriott for the next 10 years, bringing them lots of revenue, and then decide to get a "regular" job with no or little travel, it would be nice to see that Marriott remembers me and appreciates the years that I enriched them.  I would then be more likely to choose Marriott for an occasional vacation a few times a year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

crussd Platinum
    They do.  I have been Lifetime Platinum for several years now.  I am semi-retired and only stay 10-15 nights a year now, yet I still get Platinum benefits.

Roll over nights would be a first gesture and a goodwill one at that.  It makes the pain of traveling less a little less. Many of us have heard that Marriott and other brands are reluctant to offer too many deep discounts becuase it tends to cheapen the brand.  I guess I understand that but at the same time, there is an economic crisis of major proportions going on all around us, and if anyone really is going to travel, the price paid will be a major determinant in where we do.

Yep, those are the same levels required for Marriott Platinum Elite Emeritus status: 3 million points, 1000 elite nights, and 12 years in the program (as I recall) and correct me if I got that wrong, please.

businessman Platinum
    The rollover of nights stayed is a great idea - as an alternative, Marriott might consider simply "extending" the member's Platinum status to one year from the last 75 nights stayed - statements would indicate "nights stayed in the last 365 days" 

A great idea--it is our entire history with Marriott, the number of years in the program, the number of years at each level (remember it used to be Silver, Black and Platinum in Club Marquis?), and the overall value to Marriott of our patronage that should be considered in granting more years.  A Platinum or Platinum Premier additional year's extension (when the nights requirement is not met) does not cost Marriott that much, earns goodwill, and ensures loyalty among the most frequent guests.

james30 Platinum
    This is correct.  As long as you have earned a total of 3 million points over the years.  I think there might be criteria for life-time gold as well; but I am not sure.

wrowdy Silver
    I am a Vacation Timeshare owner and I would love to see Marriott do some kind of loyality program.  I am not a traveler for my job, and do not accrure the number of frequent flyer miles or stays that many people do.  However, I would like to be able to keep my silver status despite my lower travels due to whatever the case may be. I will have a hard time reaching the elite status because I do not travel as much. But I would love to try, in an economical way.  I do hope that someone from Marriott is reading these and will consider this!

MR tells me that it's 2 Million for Lifetime Gold.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
    WROWDY: If you get the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card, you automatically get 15 nights stays per year which always keeps you at the Silver level and also applies to the Gold and Platinum levels also. Very much worth the $65 annual fee. Plus you get other benefits like Marriott points on every expenditures (double points on airline/car rental/entertainment including meals), one night stay per year at a category 1-5 Marriott, etc. etc.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Sounds Great to me!

By the way, how does one find out how many points and nights, etc. they have earned while being a member?

james30 Platinum
    You can call the Rewards line and they can tell you what you have earned since becoming a member.  I joined in the 80's but only learned of the criteria for lifetime platinum about a year ago.  For some reason, it doesn't seem to be well-known information.  I have the 12 plus years and the 3 million points but am about 200 nights short of the 1,000.  Wish I would have known this all along, as I could have made sure I reached the 1,000.  Now I am semi-retired so it probably won't happen.  Good luck.

But, based on those numbers you should be given Gold Elite Emeritus status--please call and ask.

• Tighter Brand Integration is an Enhancement
    tjcnewyork Platinum

wRowdy

Your suggestion is spot-on.  Rather than create a separate loyalty program, I'd like to see a much tighter brand integration between Marriott's loyalty program, Marriott Rewards and the Marriott Vacation Club.  Given the feedback from thousands of timeshare owners Marriott is doing exactly that.  The effort started last year.

One of the first hurdles came June 30, 2008.  Quietly, owners who stayed at their home resort or exchanged through Interval International to another Marriott resort and presented a Marriott Rewards membership ID at check-in received credit for each night stayed towards qualifying for Silver, Gold or Platinum Elite status.  There was no announcement, but I saw the activity posted on my MR account in November prompting a call to Owner Services and Marriott Rewards.  

Another brand integration challenge is the inclusion of Marriott Vacation Clubs into the reservation system engine of Marriott.com.  I noticed that MVCI properties with studio, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom villas were beginning to show up for point redemption.  Some even have Pointsavers!   

The Marriott Vacation Club brand is built on the value proposition that vacation ownership provides the comforts and luxury of home with the amenities of a resort.  The properties are not intended to be full-service like a hotel; they are designed to be a home-away-from-home and deliver unforgetable family vacation experiences.

The difference, I think, presents a challenge in guest expectations.  For example, there are 390,000 MVCI owners compared to 30,000,000 Marriott Rewards members.  Clearly, the business travel community is much larger than the vacation ownership community - and expectations about service vary widely.   Marriott is quick to recognize the growing trend of combining business travel and leisure travel.  Last week I called Owner Services to deposit one of my weeks with Interval.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Owner Services is being cross-trained with Marriott Reservations so that they are better able to assist owners with reservations as a type of Owner Elite extension of Marriott Rewards.  They didn't use those words, but that was the sense of it.  

Tighter brand integration will facilitate more efficient service delivery to MVCI owners.  To me that ~is~ an enhancement!

• FREE Internet Access for Platinum
    crussd Platinum
    The best perk (that really costs nothing) would be to provide FREE Internet access for Platinum members (at full-service Marriotts and Ritz-Carlton, since it's already FREE everywhere else).

Great Idea!

• FREE Internet Access for Platinum
    tjcnewyork Platinum

CR

Agreed. Charging extra for Internet access is like charging extra for hot water.  Admittedly, the infrastructure for internet service isn't exactly 'nothing' but the cost can be offset by advertising.  Marriott could invite sponsorship by selected business partners (HERTZ) and marketing affiliates (CHASE VISA). 

As recently announced, Marriott discontinues paper delivery. The press release does not state that the decision is part of 'Go Green' initiative, but it could be interpreted that way: Marriott Celebrates Earth Hour

Encouraging the reduction of paper to reduce the cost of waste management and the impact on the environment is a good strategy and the growing trend.  Free internet can help acheive that. See Green Lodging News

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

It's always been a bone of contention with me that the lower level properties such as Fairfield and Courtyard provide Internet service for free. But what really really really gets me going is when the full service Marriott's only offer a bundled package of Internet and phone service for $13+. Many times I would just like to have the Internet service and would be willing to pay $9 but I feel taken advantage of when I'm forced to pay more for other services that I just have no need for.

This nickel and dimming really upsets me.

Mike,

I totally agree with you!

Especially when traveling international.  

It is really good when you can stay in touch with people in the US and not be under pressure with purchased cards for internet usage.  I can't tell you how many times, the front desk people have given me a free card just because there have been problems with their internet and you waste a whole card on a computer that is not working right. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Mikieg

So what's the solution?  Are you saying CY and FI already bundle free internet into their rates w/o subsidy by advertising, so why can't the full service brands do the same?   Or, are you saying that internet + phone should be offered free, too? 

Wireless internet access and up to 72 channels of DirecTV is offered free at Marriott Vacation Club properties as 'brand standard.'  MVCI is not a full-service brand but the lack of full service doesn't place the brand on the low end.  These services are provided because the owners want it and willing to pay the cost for these services just like housekeeping which are included in the annual  maintenance fees.  

Commercial television programming is 'free' because it is supported by advertising. Striking a parallel, commercial internet service could be free if advertising supported.  If Marriott were to pursue this approach as a solution, would advertising incorporated into a Marriott property landing page be objectionable?  Would you expect Marriott to provide secure internet services and parental controls for free too?  What would be included in a free bundle?  What types of advertising are acceptable or not?  What levels of censorship would you expect from Marriott?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I guess I wasn't clear. I don't appreciate it when full service Marriott's bundle Internet and phone service and jack up the price to over $13 since I have no use for their phone service but a lot of use for the Internet connection. In those instances I would like the option to pay for Internet service only for, say, $8 not Internet and phone for $13.

In the end I want a la carte and pay for only what I need.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...