10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2009 5:08 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Confused

pontecoast Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am confused.  I am wading my way through the pages of posts to determine what is going on with the new program.  I recently tried to get a rewards stay in Myrtle Beach for anytime in June and July, NOTHING.  I saw a post that seemed to indicated no reward stays at category 6 or higher.  Is this true?  I have strayed from Marriott recently because the franchises seem to be slipping.  There are two classes of hotels, business and resort.  Business, full during the Mon-Thurs timeframe.  Resorts?  This meltdown is coming.  Prices have not eased and I suspect that they will realize the downturn in business much too late to save this coming season.  Those of us who do not have mortgage troubles, credit scores in the 800 range, money in cash in the bank, and a desire to travel, want a deal.  We are not the same clientele as the people who have swarmed these resorts in the past few years, spending equity in a house which was ficticious, living beyond their means.  The time is coming when building back a loyal and consistent business will be required, yet it seems Marriott is pretending "everything will be OK in time"....by then, people will have discovered another chain who treated them right this season.  Bye bye loyal customer.

• Re: Confused
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
    I essentially said the same thing as you in a few posts here. At a time when Marriott should be coddling their best customers, they seem to be alienating them. Not a good way to do business.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

OceanWatch is a great beach resort in Marriott's timeshare family.  I have a friend who purchased a week there in 2007 and called her yesterday.  You lucked out getting in there on points which is definitely possible off-season. It's less than 5 years old, so owners from other locations will exchange in during peak season.

Memorial Day through Columbus Day is peak season for beach properties. The lack of availability at Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina has nothing to do with the new Rewards program. At present, there is a significant amount of construction and renovation going on, so that blocks of villas are shut down and first priority will go to owners with multiple consecutive weeks on what's available.*  I remember when construction was going on at Beachplace Towers, Fort Lauderdale. Owners and guests were in an uproar about the lack of availability and most of all the noise. Beachplace is surrounded by towers so the noise would reverberate between the buildings. Do you really want to take your family to OceanWatch  and step through mud, construction debris and worst of all see construction going on when you are at the pool or wake up to the noise - while on vacation?  A similar condition happened at Sabal Palms adjacent to the Orlando World Center in Orlando.  The hotel expanded with a new wing restricting road access to the villas.  The road was lined with tractor trailers and forklifts. Many owners requested to be transferred to Royal, Imperial or Cypress Harbor.  Marriott's lesson learned is to restrict  occupancy until construction is complete.  There is no business advantage for Marriott to allow loyal owners and guests access to villas paid or points and then walk them to another property and have to pay compensation because they are dissatisfied or inconvenienced due to the construction. This has nothing to do with the new Rewards program, it has to do with Marriott's responsiblity and integrity to ensure that their owners and guests experience a memorable vacation, get it?

If anyone really insists on putting yourself and your family through that type of ordeal, knock yourself out - call the Rental Reservations 800-845-5279 and/or ask about a Preview Package.  

Good luck and best wishes

* Please note the following construction efforts are scheduled for Marriott’s OceanWatch: From February 9, 2009 to March 21, 2009 the Scallop Building will undergo significant renovation. Construction on the final phase is scheduled from February 9, 2009 through May 2010. While we strive to minimize the effect, guests may experience related construction noise, Monday through Sunday during the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We thank you for your understanding and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pontecoast Silver
    Courtyard?  I do not want a vacation at a Courtyard.  I stayed at the Grande Ocean on points which is how I know about it.  I would never stay at a Courtyard for a vacation.  That is ridiculous.  If that is what this rewards program has become, I will simply use the points for one night at an airport or an emergency situation.  The Hyatt does not do this.  I stayed at the Hyatt in Bethesda which is very, very nice on points with no hassle, no blackouts.  I also stayed at the Hyatt in Jersey City when I was flying out the next day.  Also beautiful.  Best view of the city anywhere.  Goodbye Marriott.

globentrotter Platinum

One thing that I am unhappy about with the rewards program, is that in the Elite membership terms & conditions which I received with the card, there was no requirement mentioned that Marriott nights cannot be booked through travel agency or for instance Expedia.com. When I called the customer service the lady was able to find this rule somewhere online, but it took her 10 minutes also. This is a major issue and therefore should be clearly indicated everywhere to avoid disappointments!

Another surprise was that when I booked and paid for 3 rooms for me and my family and friends, the points and nights were only credited for two. However, when I booked these they did convince me that all would be awarded as long as I paid for them......

crussd Platinum
    You're all over the map on this one.  I can't figure out what your problem is.  I have stayed in Cat 6 Marriotts all over the world with no problem.  You can't plan two weeks in advance -- try a year out.  What is this rant about mortgages and credit scores?  I have a mortgage (which I pay with no trouble) a credit score over 800, money in the bank, and 4 million Marriott Rewards points.  Traveling on points is not a problem if you plan ahead.  BTW, why would you want to go to Myrtle Beach anyway -- unless you love tatoos and ride a motorcycle?  Try Hilton Head if you want to go to South Carolina -- a full-service Marriott and eight MVCI properties, prettier beaches, better restaurants, and far more upscale visitors.

I learned a long time ago that booking through various sites, such as Priceline, does not entitle members to points. The long and short of it is that points are given to the paying party, and in these cases  the paying party is the actual web site, not the hotel guest.

crussd Platinum
    For MikleqFLA:  Exactly how is Marriott alienating their best customers?  I think I get treated pretty well.  As far as using Rewards points for hotel stays -- you've got to plan ahead, that's all.  Myrtle Beach in the summer (kids out of school) is a real zoo and I'm sure Rewards are hard to get.  I certainly don't know as I would never want to go there then for that reason.  I've even booked the Marriott in Rome using points -- that's almost impossible, but doable if you plan early.

To CRussD. When I said Marriott is alienating their best customers due to their cutting back of services, I was basing this on a few recent changes implemented by Marriott. First, Marriott told their franchisees "not to exceed customer expectations". Second, franchisees are cutting back on Lounge offerings. There was a time when I could stop in at a lounge around 6:00pm and have a full meal. Now all they are serving is cheese and crackers. Third, many properties are doing away with offering breakfast to Platinum members. This subject has been discussed here by many. And then there are the changes to the Rewards program that have devalued some awards by up to 60% while discontinuing some awards altogether like cruises, which I took advantage of many times. My Lifetime Platinum status was earned by being away from home for at least 1000 nights (and that was just at Marriott properties!). For over 25 years my covenant with Marriott was that I would stay with them as often as I could and in exchange for my loyalty they would take care of me by offering a fabulous program in which awards levels are reasonable to achieve and redeem. They have breached that part of the deal. Personality wise, I am a planner and book my vacations a year in advance. This means reserving frequent flier and hotel rooms once the clock strikes 330 days. I have never had a problem getting into hotels that far in advance, which is exactly why I take exception to the new No Blackout dates policy. Since I've never been blacked out, this policy means absolutely nothing to me but the new policy came at a great price to the program because Marriott removed the sliding scale award schedule. I have a copy of an Honored Guest Awards statement from 1987 and you would not believe how the program looked. Back then 110k points got you a certificate good for 7 days at any hotel worldwide along with a systemwide airplane ticket. I agree with you on the Myrtle Beach thing. Although I've never been there, I have no desire to go based on what I've heard about it.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Re: I've even booked the Marriott in Rome using points -- that's almost impossible, but doable if you plan early.

Well, I guess 11 months isn't early enough.  I'm going to Rome in mid-October and have been trying to get into the Grand Flora since November!!!!!  No rooms available for points, but plenty for $$$.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

We have stayed at a variety of Courtyards on vacation and that did not bother us!

Try Key West or Times Square.  We never felt cheated, we always have a good time.  When you use points, that is part of the vacation for us. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...